Prague, Krakow and Budapest

Cliffy

We are planning our 8 week Spring 2018 tour which will include Prague, Krakow and Budapest.

There does not seem to be many threads on the countries that we will pass through Particularly Slovakia.

ACSI do not have any campsites listed for Slovakia what is the reason for this?

Any help/advise would be helpful

Thanks

Caddies104 - 2018-01-29 10:03 PM

Hi

As you say nothing on Slovakia, there are 3 in Budapest, Arena Camping at 17€ looks good.

Good luck for the trip.

Arena Camping Budapest is the only site we are definitely going to as our son is booked in their guest house for three days so we are meeting up with him there. Slovakian campsites look a bit grim so I think it will a quick drive through to get to Vienna.

In 2013 we spent 10 days in Slovakia and thoroughly enjoyed them. It included one night parked up by the Dunachek river by a garage where we had a pleasant afternoon while they changed our timing belt.

We arrived via Krakow -there is a MH dealer on the western side as I recall with guarded parking facilities plus. In Krakow we stayed on a guarded parking happily for two nights and the guy let us empty our loo down a drain and top up with water.

As a non (as far as possible ) campsite user we had no parking / overnighting problems although we did spend one night on the Polish / Slovak border an excellent site with a good restaurant.

Spent several nights in Slovak town centre car parks and managed quite easily to find places to get water and dump. People were warm and friendly.

Personally I feel you will miss an experience if you just drive through Slovakia.

Cliffy - 2018-01-29 8:21 PM

There does not seem to be many threads on the countries that we will pass through Particularly Slovakia.

ACSI do not have any campsites listed for Slovakia what is the reason for this?

Any help/advise would be helpful

Thanks

If looking only in the guide book that doesn't surprise me as it's quite limited. ACSI used to sell a dvd which was excellent, far superior to the guide book, easily installed on pc's and gave full coverage of all inspected sites including mapping. There are 22 listed on the dvd for Slovakia.

Unfortunately they discontinued production in 2016 in favour of 'apps'.....which is only any use for smartphone users (which i'm not!).

Alternatively you can look at a few here;

https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/search/specific/?query=Slovakia

I've sent you a pm so check your inbox.

We did these cities as part of a tour in '09.

At Prague, we found a road on the north of the city where several houses with big long gardens had converted them into campsites - not enormous, but friendly, cheap and well-run. I think the one we used was called Autocamp Trojska.

In Vienna, don't miss the Hundertwasserhaus - named after its awesome architect.

And near Kracow, you must do the salt mine at Wielitczka.

We ran through Slovakia fairly quickly too - it may be more interesting now, but wasn't much back then.

Have fun!

Archived