Fixed gas tank or two refillables?

flyboyprowler

flyboyprowler - 2018-01-30 6:46 PM

Well today we have agreed to buy the new beast, and have cancelled the gas tank, and will fit refillable bottles, with a view to having a fixed tank fitted in the future, if and when we find we can't live without it. Both those articles really interesting Derek, and many thanks. Food for thought.

Stick with 1 refillable and 1 exchange bottle, IMO far better solution than 2 refillables.

snowie - 2018-01-31 1:02 PM

Our tank is a miserly 12 Litres, but it lasts us 6 weeks under summer conditions, and costs us About £8 to fill!

130 Litres @ approx 80p = approx £104 which seems pretty good to me, and writing off the underslung tank over the life of the vehicle I would imagine is pretty reasonable in the context of such a van.

I agree with Brian that the biggest drawback is the shutoff valve in the context of ferries: but others disagree.

Regards

Snowie

My mistake, and so as not to mislead:

Our tank is 25 Litres, and last refill was about 50%

Regards

Snowie

The rationale behind having a gas system comprising a user-refillable bottle and an ‘exchange’ bottle was explored here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gaslow-Calor-/48585/

A system based solely on user-refillable reservoirs (bottles or tanks) will always depend on autogas being available for refilling. A system comprising 1 x refillable bottle + 1 x exchange bottle will potentially be more versatile and, if autogas is hard to find, the exchange canister can be used up and then replaced.

As should be apparent from the many forum discussions about motorhome gas system, a system that will ideally suit one motorcaravanner’s life-style and gas usage may be totally unsuitable for someone else.

As you’ve now settled on the two-bottles-in-a-locker arrangement, it’s really up to you to decide (based on your past/present experience and plans for the future) what arrangement of bottles you choose.

The euro chunnel which get old due to blocking corridor doors is the worst i ever seen in proper information to the users. And their operating staff on the uk site. THey have a full gas course on their site about gas containers in your motorhome. Which is never used in europe. Closing the gas valves on the containers is not

there. It is left to check in. The claim that that they are flat in their entrance for a austin healey or a alko chassis. Not true at their check in for your gas valve you are standing in a slope backwards. But i fully understand your gas concern abroad.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-02-01 7:53 PM

As should be apparent from the many forum discussions about motorhome gas systems that a system that will ideally suit one motorcaravanner’s life-style and gas usage may be totally unsuitable for someone else.

As you’ve now settled on the two-bottles-in-a-locker arrangement, it’s really up to you to decide (based on your past/present experience and plans for the future) what arrangement of bottles you choose.

I agree Derek, and in our case having travelled with one refillable and one Spanish bottle, and nearly run out in France the replacement option wasn't there. Also considering there are more and more auto gas stations seeming to open, I personally think that the two refillable are the answer, and top up when necessary.

Archived