The long Road South - Help with Aires

bessie560

Just been readin g the excellent free copy of mmm on my iPad

The itinerary proposed The long road south to the costas by Brian Fairbrother is wonderful and will form the basis of my summer trip. The only thing which could have made it perfect would be if he or somebody else could suggest the 8/9 free aires he stayed at. Any ideas!

Thanks

Barry

No idea, but maybe buy Aires books for the countries involved and have the freedom to stop where you prefer.

There are many books but we always liked the Vicarious Aires books as we found them informative, generally accurate, lots of photos, written in English - but not cheap - although a lot less than finding and paying for campsites!

bessie560 - 2018-01-31 12:51 PM

Just been readin g the excellent free copy of mmm on my iPad

The itinerary proposed The long road south to the costas by Brian Fairbrother is wonderful and will form the basis of my summer trip. The only thing which could have made it perfect would be if he or somebody else could suggest the 8/9 free aires he stayed at. Any ideas!

Thanks

Barry

The Brian Fairbrother pieces were in the December 2011/January 2012 issues of MMM magazine.

Is this any help?

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/travel/the-long-road-south-a-winter-route-to-the-spanish-costas-in-your

Clicking on the "To find out where to stay during...” entries brings up some ‘aires’ information, and you might find this link worth looking at

http://www.melvyncole.co.uk/published-articles-2/mmm/winter-trip-to-spain-2012/

Given how old the Fairbrother articles are, even if you can find out about the free aires (which miight well have been identified in the original paper versions) you’d be wise to check what the aires' current status is. Do they still exist? Are they still free? Have there been recent complaints about them? etc. etc.

Hi sorry can't help with the aires in the article cos not got it with me, but did he not list the sites in the article they usually do? but in addition to stuff mentioned above there is a website search4sites that list a hell of alot in uk and eu and downloadable to your sat nag

Jonathan

Barry. The latest version of this guide was published in October 2016 edition of MMM.

There are two articles, Long Road South to the Costas and in November 2016 MMM published a similar guide Long Road to the South of France.

Both give toll free routes.

The Costas routes are for the winter and list aires/winer campsites as at autumn 2016

The South of France routes are for the summer.

Hope that helps.

You could also download the Campercontact guide which has nearly 25,000 parking sites in 51 countries and is regularly updated. You can buy the full smartphone version for 4.99 euros. It's very good.

bessie560 - 2018-01-31 3:30 PM

My apologies the article is named as above but it was particularly the French bit I was interested in

Thanks for your replies

Barry

Miraculously I still have the MMM October 2016 article Matrix Meanderer refers to and the article has a whole page listing details of French/Spanish ‘aires’ and campsites.

I note that your Profile includes an email address. If that address is still valid, I can email you a scanned copy of the complete article if you want it.

(I do not have the November 2016 article.)

Barry

I have just emailed the MMM article to you.

I sent five .jpg files named “Costas Page 1” to “Costas Page 5” and the size of each file is from 3Mb to 4Mb.

I emailed one of the files to another of my email accounts as a test and it transferred properly and was quite legible - but that doesn’t automatically mean the files will be OK your end.

If the files make it to you alright and you can read them, perhaps you can confirm that’s so here, please?

Regards

Derek

Archived