Alko high frame or low frame chassis?

monique.hubrechtsgm

Because of numerous questions about the difference of it on motor homes i put it in a nut shell what it really means.First Alko does not explore this, all what you see on the internet for motorhomes is a low profile. You will not see a high frame. The only fecking confusing figure is that it can be have a drop up to 220 mm. against what? But that drop is their lowest frame in their interface to the chassis cowl pull runners. being fiat what ever. That interface is welded in case of a fiat in itally to the front cowl runners for hig or low frame or every in between. It serves for both in case of high or low leaving one unused, in case of high frame the lower part is not used. You can use it as an anchor whit cable in steel to prevent critical movements of the house. It also serve siamese transport of two chassis cowls to alko chassis plant a costly excersize, For the uk. Why a builder motor home want this instead of a fiat chassis or other? Just one thing the designers have more flexibility to put their things in. Adria sonic supreme and my burstner aviano goes for high and a a 150 kg drop to the fiat. All the other go fow frame and put all technical in the double floor which is the max drop of 220 cm A loot of tech is in that foor space being a thermal barrier. You can not see the real axle from behind at driving as compared to the fiat square bar swiveling. This is part one.

The following links have lots of useful photos and information about Al-Ko AMC chassis

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/pages/introduction-7.html#

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/section/amc-motorhome-chassis.html

Choosing to use an AMC low-frame chassis has implications regarding ground clearance and limited vertiical movement of the rear wheels. This should be obvious from the attached photo.

AMC.jpg.376e04a7936acccd82153bba39d3dbd9.jpg

I love the reply to the complaints! Many years ago a family friend had an Austin-Healey 3000. It was great fun but the ground clearance was the absolute minimum to the point that he knackered the sump when he pulled onto someone's drive and caught the metal stop for the gates in the middle. I remember one trip around Spain when there would be sudden swearing and braking when he spotted a bumpy bit.

Yes Derek that bailey sits very low on his alko. If it was a high frame he was 22 cm more up. The high frame is about the same as a standard fiat MH chassis. A N+B Flair on iveco does not have this problem see their step in stairway to heaven. But mostly on alko high frame chassis their is drop down on the rear where the sub garage sits to keep the rear bed lower. But still in my case ihave 30cm GC on the rear. Changing tyres and the angle of the torsion bar swings you can gain 5 cm more. Alko do this when they put hydraulic feets there. But the feets should have a min gc there of 15 cm in ride mode. The same goes for full air bellows. Not a problem at all on iveco chassis. I think that the above sub chassis on the bailey is prone to grounding. But most owners are aware of this. Trial and error.

Archived