TomTom ONE-extra battery when cycling/walking?

David B

Hi, TomTom One V2 has cycling and walking modes - useful for exploring new places. The internal fully charged battery has a limited life - say 2-3 hours. I have been looking for a "battery extender" which are available for PDAs, digital cameras etc. I can find them on Ebay which take 4 x AA (rechargable) bateries (5v output), but none have the mini-USB plug that the ONE V2 uses. Bearing in mind the recent letters/replies in MMM re a 3rd white wire in the 12v charger cable, I am wary of invalidating my warranty or causing damage. I have searched a couple of GPS fora without much success.

I was thinking of buying a "standard" battery extender and a cheap 12v charger for TomTom ONE V2, then cutting off the plug (should be wired correctly) from the charger and joining it to the cable (after cutting off the fitted wrong plug) of the battery extender.

With only ~5v output from the 4 x AAs in series (TomTom ONE charges at 5v from the car charger or USB on PC) I cannot see how I can do any damage as long as I get the polarity correct.

Does this make sense? Any better suggestions?

David.

Archived