astra 2 satellite

fesspark

Getting the Astra 2 signal down here in Rojales now (south Alicante )on the vans 85cm dish .You know we are right on the edge of the footprint so the slightest movement you loose it.Been a bit windy yesterday so maybe the dish has moved .And dont forget you need the LNB Scew about 25mins to the hour.Dont have a card but get the Free channels.

On a campsite with an automatic snipe sat dish, neighbours here are suffering the same, we are on Javea,as I mentioned this has never happened before and we are regular visiters,have had signals for the last 2 months until now, Thanks for your comments, have a good one, weather not good here at the moment but cannot grumble better than last year so far. Fesspark

I have an Oyster 85cm dish and always find I lose BBC/ITV just north of the French/Spanish border.

Can get limited programmes further south based on the Astra 2 European beam.

Understand there is hotspot around the Valencia area where full coverage is possible in good weather conditions.

Don,t know where you are Colin? but the north of this area is snowed in, and the northerly wind is blowing cold air on us, we have been in the van since sat morning, to cold to even shop. But tomorrow we may get warmer,using loads of gas to keep warm . Still no T.V but we have the internet for news. fesspark

hi, was in Benicassim in Jan, neighbours lost there signal with there snipe, now down in la manga and neighbours have never had a signal, both these cases said they had it last year, so i would suggest the sat signal has been narrowed this year, perhaps a google search on astra 2 might throw up some light on the matter or snipes website maybe or an email to them? just a thought

Jonathan

There are no signals issues from what I can see here in the Costa Blanca (javea to Gandia) area.

Signals are still registering what they have been for the last few years on my 80x85 cm dish, which currently has all SD BBC ITV C4 and Five channels fine.

The only thing that people may be having an issue with is the rain and heavy cloud cover we have had late Jan and Feb...or the winds we have had have knocked dishes out of alignment slightly.

The OP says they have "lost all Astra 2 signals"

Even Sky News, which is on the European beam and easy to get over all of mainland Spain?

So , if you have indeed lost even Sky News then you have a system issue or dish alignment

LNB, water in cable, bad connection issue somewhere...as like i said, Sky News is an easy catch and if your system is working fine this should come in with no problems at all.

Issues arise with the UK Beam channels on Astra 2, that carry BBC ITV C4 and Fives...this Uk beam is weaker than the European beam, and whose reception does vary a lot across mainland Spain...hence larger dishes, or the intelsat option.

Hello,thanks for the info, had ast 2 for the first 50 or so days this visit but lost it a week or so ago, ast 1 3 4 are o.k. so I do not think my snipe is at fault, cannot adjust as I have an auto dish, will have to put up with what we have until we move on, Cheers fesspark

As I said, if you are unable to get ANY signals at all from Astra 2, then it is an issue with your system and not a satellite signals issue, as the 3 uk tv satellites are still there, the signals are still there, the signals are the same as they have been for the past few years, and you should be able to get those channels on the European beam with no problems.

(And was in Javea today, and saw no issues with any of the signals - all as they should be, with Sky News booming in at 12db on a 90cm dish...well above the 6.x needed to receive the signals)

Perhaps your system is trying to lock on using a frequency that is no longer active, so cannot lock on to the satellites....?

satandpcguy - 2018-02-07 1:45 PM

Issues arise with the UK Beam channels on Astra 2, that carry BBC ITV C4 and Fives...this Uk beam is weaker than the European beam, and whose reception does vary a lot across mainland Spain...hence larger dishes, or the intelsat option.

Just to clarify, does the European beam also carry the Freeview channels, and is a better signal than the UK beam, especially in Spain?

flyboyprowler - 2018-02-10 10:28 AM

satandpcguy - 2018-02-07 1:45 PM

Just to clarify, does the European beam also carry the Freeview channels, and is a better signal than the UK beam, especially in Spain?

The European Astra 2 beam is shown in the following link, 2nd map down:

http://satfi.co.uk/coverage/

Below the map are the free to air programmes available. If you had Sky pay TV you would also receive those programmes shown in the right hand column.

The footprint is based on the Satfi dome products so the footprint would be larger if you had say, an 85cm dish.

PS. Freeview is a UK terrestrial system and only available in the UK.

Freeview is the UK TV system via a TV aerial.

Freeview is not available via satellite.

There are channels on Freesat that are on this easy to receive beam (QVC, some news etc)

But none of the main channels from BBC, ITV, C4 Five CBS Discovery (Quest). These channels are on the harder to receive UK beam. Hence the need for larger dishes in some areas of spain.

Even the Freesat Data transponder is located on the UK beam, so even doing a new freesat scan / install will not work if you cannot get this UK beam.

You cannot "pick and choose" which beam you want to use. That is down to what beam the channels you want to watch. ie you cannot scan a frequency on the European beam and hope to get BBC, for example.

a bit misleading on the above link "satfi.co.uk/coverage/ " by saying "Free to View TV & Radio", when in fact the channels listed are all "free to air"...

Free to air - channels that are unencrypted and subscription free.

Free to view - channels that are encrypted but subscription free.

and some channels it has on the Eurobeam, are now on the UK beam (and free), eg Dave...Discovery

satandpcguy - 2018-02-10 1:07 PM

Freeview is the UK TV system via a TV aerial.

Freeview is not available via satellite.

There are channels on Freesat that are on this easy to receive beam (QVC, some news etc)

But none of the main channels from BBC, ITV, C4 Five CBS Discovery (Quest). These channels are on the harder to receive UK beam. Hence the need for larger dishes in some areas of spain.

Even the Freesat Data transponder is located on the UK beam, so even doing a new freesat scan / install will not work if you cannot get this UK beam.

You cannot "pick and choose" which beam you want to use. That is down to what beam the channels you want to watch. ie you cannot scan a frequency on the European beam and hope to get BBC, for example.

a bit misleading on the above link "satfi.co.uk/coverage/ " by saying "Free to View TV & Radio", when in fact the channels listed are all "free to air"...

Free to air - channels that are unencrypted and subscription free.

Free to view - channels that are encrypted but subscription free.

and some channels it has on the Eurobeam, are now on the UK beam (and free), eg Dave...Discovery

Thank to you all for the explanation, and I did mean Freesat not Freeview ( I bought a Freeview box last year in error!) So, whenever the dish, in my case 80cm, goes up, it will search for the UK beam first, and the usual culprits are carried on the UK beam only. So does the type, or quality of the receiver box make a difference?

We were in the Aire near to Murcia Ikea and got SKY news, and strangely ITV1 on channel 5 on our receiver but nothing else. It would be nice to know if we are missing out due to equipment.

flyboyprowler - 2018-02-10 1:49 PM

Thank to you all for the explanation, and I did mean Freesat not Freeview ( I bought a Freeview box last year in error!)

An error made by many by people asking for Freeview rather than Freesat

So, whenever the dish, in my case 80cm, goes up, it will search for the UK beam first,

Well it depends what frequency your system has been designed to look for.

As far as I know most systems allow you to set a particular frequency for the systems to lock onto.,

Normally these are the easy to receive European beams.

No point asking it to lock onto the harder UK beam...

So does the type, or quality of the receiver box make a difference?

Yes, but then it all depends on if your dish is large enough in the first place to receive the signals.

No point going for a "better" receiver if you cannot get the signals!

We were in the Aire near to Murcia Ikea and got SKY news, and strangely ITV1 on channel 5 on our receiver but nothing else. It would be nice to know if we are missing out due to equipment.

Sky News - Euro beam

"ITV1 on channel 5" - there are about a dozen ITV regions, and I have no idea which you have on channel 5 on your receiver so cannot be specific about that!

But it depends which region ITV you are using, as some are on stronger frequencies than others, spread over two satellites whose beams also vary slightly. I find the STV (Scottish ITV) frequency to be the strongest ITV frequency.

But if you are getting ITV, then you may just about be able to receive one of the BBC frequencies also...

flyboyprowler - 2018-02-10 2:06 PM

Yes unfortunately our receiver does not tell us which station is being received until maybe you get a regional news! We are changing our van in July, and will fit a new receiver for the 85cm dish. We have Sky in the UK, so may try a box on board.

If you've got Sky at home you might as well use it when away.

We've had Sky Q since 2016, and now we need to pair our card with our old Sky+ HD box as our van's twin LNB is incompatible.

Archived