Off side hub getting hot

D309

Hi I have a 2006 renault master 2.5 the off side front hub gets hot and I have vibration between 50 /60 mph have had the drive shaft replaced twice it's ok for a short time then it comes back also had wheel bearing done and the brakes are ok any help

Many thanks

Have you had the wheels balanced and tried changing them around side to side to help isolate the balance issue?

All hubs get warm in use, depending on brake use, but overly hot hubs can only be caused by excess friction and if it isn't the wheel bearings it may well be the brake pads not releasing properly?

Does it pull to one side? Have you jacked it up and tried spinning and rocking the front wheels and are the two similar in this?

Before spending any serious money it pays to be sure that the easy things are all OK!

Our Fiat-based MH suffered a repeat wheel bearing failure last year,probably because the garage failed to apply the correct pre-load when fitting it the first time; the inadequately pre-loaded bearing became slack and damage resulted.

Jack the offending side up and check for excessive play in your wheel bearing.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-02-05 3:30 PM

And how much movement is acceptable? Let say it it is max 0.5 mm. how do you measure it? What is a Off side hub?

A vehicle manual or possibly a search on Google will tell you what grease to use and how much free play to set and the offside hub is the bit containing the front brakes and wheel bearings to which the front wheel bolts on the UK driver's side.

I believe that up to 2002 Fiat used seperate taper roller bearings with different width shims to provide the correct preload setting .After that they used one piece press fit bearings with a compression washer to provide the preload when at the correct torque setting .

Brian B

Had a similar problem on my Renault Master and had to visit a Renault dealer in Netherlands. Offside hub heating up and vibration on steering. Mechanic let me see the problem. Bushes on brake caliper causing the caliper to twist. Replaced the bushes and did the nearside. Maybe worth checking

Archived