Gas It Refillable Bottles

potus4388

Gas It Refillable Bottles  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have 2 x 11 kg gasit bottles with an internally mounted filler in the locker. I have a manual changeover from one bottle to the other. They were fitted in jan 2016.

What can I say. They work faultlessly, and I have had no issues getting refilled here or France. The gauges are not much use, they go from full to almost empty overnight, but I accept that simply as a prompt to start watching for an lpg station.

I have no experience of Gaslow, so comparison is difficult. I was given to understand that both companies (at that time) obtained their bottles from the same source.

Davy

Many thanks for your reply, is the hose from the bottle to the filler steel or a rubber hose? I ask as Gaslow suggest they should be steel.

Good to know you are pleased with the system and thay you had no problems with filling in France even though the filler is inside your locker, I have seen some reports that garages will refuse filling unless you have an external filling poin?

The hoses in my gasit system are rubber. They will obviously have a shelf life and naturally are a bit cheaper than stainless.

The dealer supplying my van was a gasit installer, so this, and the lower price made my mind up for me. I dare say they could have fitted steel hoses if I requested them, but it was not an issue as far as I am concerned.

Davy

I fitted my Gasit system last spring, looked at both Gaslow and Gasit and decided that the cheaper one was OK. Bought all the bits I needed from Caktanks in Kenilworth Warks, they sell both types. Phoned them for advice and they were really helpful and I ended up driving over there to buy the bits and make sure I got everything I needed. It was a really worthwhile trip, very helpful staff and everything was in stock.

Bought one 11Kg tank ( I think) and married it to a Calor 6kg that I keep "in reserve". Should the Gasit run out I'll switch to Calor and refill at first opportunity though it's not run out yet. Filled it three times, twice Belgium and once France and it's ludicrously cheap and no problem with refilling. First time was at a HGV fueling station outskirts of Dunkirk and the sole cashier, a pleasant young lady, was happy to come out to the M/H to show me what to do and even lent me the right valve adaptor.

I chose the Gasit purely because the chappie at Tektanks, http://www.caktanks.co.uk, said they're both the same and why waste the extra money? Though I think I prefer the Gaslow yellow rather than the Gasit red tanks but not enough to pay the extra. They're locked away in the locker so I never see them. I don't bother turning the gas off. Ever.

Only issue I had when fitting it was I had to take the fixed valve and piping out of the locker to get the tanks in and then needed to extend the gas pipe 'cos the valve had to be in a different position and it was all a bit of a pfaff. But when it was done I took the M/H to a dealer and he checked that all was safe and correct. I fitted a 1 metre filling hose that just sits curled up in the locker, don't fancy drilling holes in the M/H to fit the connector "properly" though I did buy all the right bits.

Gas prices are ludicrously cheap, my three fill ups, admittedly not from empty, have only been about five or eight Euros each whereas a 6Kg calor bottle is about £24. As and when I sell this M/H I'll take the system out and fit it all in the next one. As the modern vernacular would have it, it's a no brainer.

potus4388 - 2018-02-05 4:25 PM

Does anyone have experience of the Gas It system?

I have been looking at Gaslow but have been advised to look at this system also, it is also quite a bit cheaper.

I will be grateful for any comments.

Thank you in advance.

GAS IT sell two ranges of gas canisters - one much cheaper than the other.

https://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas-refillable-products/1-refillable-gas-bottles-gas-it.html

The cheaper bottles are ‘2-hole’ type and equivalent to the original Gaslow containers (now superseded by the Gaslow R67 bottles) with the same type of much-criticised magnetic contents gauge. The dearer GAS IT bottles are ‘4-hole’ type (made by STAKO) with an accurate mechanically-operated contents gauge.

The ‘kits’ GAS IT sells are based on their cheaper canisters and use rubber hoses. Gaslow ‘kits’ are based on their more sophisticated R67 bottles and use stainless-steel hoses. It should be no surprise, then, that GAS IT ‘kits (or the individual components) cost less than the Gaslow products.

If you want to buy a cheap car buy a Dacia - but you won’t be getting a BMW.

I have 2 X 11kg  gasit cylinders and all the kit in my van which I installed myself, great bit of kit  and easy to install good price  too and as I am a member of another  forum  iI was given free of charge the 3  adapters needed for foreign filling, I ordered my  kit on line at 2 pm one day and all was delivered the next day so I cannot fault Gasit in any way.I did not want change over valves  , the kit comes with 2 gauges that seem to work , but I just run off of one bottle and when that empties I just turn on the second bottle and then refill when I see gas on sale SIMPLES  I travel extensively in Spain POrtugal etc and have no trouble refilling any where, I have an external filling point.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-02-07 12:49 AM  ..... If you want to buy a cheap car buy a Dacia - but you won’t be getting a BMW.

Not sure this analogy has merit in this situation because if refillable gas installations are functionally adequate they are functionally adequate and do the job, apart from reliability of the bottle guages and is that important?

My installation is now eleven years old and still going strong, despite rubber hoses rather than those bound in stainless steel.  I think mine are Stako bottles and the guages have always worked well but in practice I always rely on the indication on the changeover valve; once it's showing switchover to the second bottle I keep my eyes out for a refilling opportunity.

I'm not discouraging about paying more for a better system if it's genuinly better but is it really better in your practical application?  Maybe the cheaper Gas-it bottles are good enough.

A few years ago I had a Rexhall Ayrbus RV with the Ford Triton V10 petrol engine with a factory (Rexhall not Ford) gas conversion fitted. I cannot remember the exact cubic capacity but it was around 6.5 litres. I do however remember that it did 8 miles to the gallon if you took it steady. Instructions were: run on Petrol for 15 mins before switching to LPG, which cost wise worked out at about 12 Miles to the Gallon. I used it to live in at the time and consider Rexhall to be one of the best RVs available. Just that figure 8 made my eyes water.

Brian Kirby - 2018-02-07 3:18 AM
StuartO - 2018-02-06 10:23 AM...................My installation is now eleven years old and still going strong, despite rubber hoses rather than those bound in stainless steel.  .................
Stuart, are those rubber hoses also 11 years old? Should they be? :-)

Yes they are - and on my list as part of the mid life refit!

StuartO - 2018-02-06 10:23 AM
Derek Uzzell - 2018-02-07 12:49 AM  ..... If you want to buy a cheap car buy a Dacia - but you won’t be getting a BMW.

Not sure this analogy has merit in this situation because if refillable gas installations are functionally adequate they are functionally adequate and do the job, apart from reliability of the bottle guages and is that important?

My installation is now eleven years old and still going strong, despite rubber hoses rather than those bound in stainless steel.  I think mine are Stako bottles and the guages have always worked well but in practice I always rely on the indication on the changeover valve; once it's showing switchover to the second bottle I keep my eyes out for a refilling opportunity.

I'm not discouraging about paying more for a better system if it's genuinly better but is it really better in your practical application?  Maybe the cheaper Gas-it bottles are good enough.

OK, how about “If you want to buy a cheap 4x4 buy a Dacia Duster - but you won’t be getting a Porsche Cayenne”.The accuracy of a refillable bottle’s contents gauge becomes very important if just a single bottle is to be carried - less so if there are two bottles. Even if a system based on the cheapest GAS-IT components is ‘good enough’, before going for the ‘budget’ option I suggest that more expensive (but more sophisticated) canisters and hoses should be given due consideration.Gaslow and GAS IT are not the only suppliers of user-refillable metal canisters for leisure vehicles. For example Autogas 2000 markets Alugas and Prakto bottles (as well as Gaslow bottles) and all of these have accurate gauges that can measure the contents-level from near-full to near-empty. http://www.autogasleisure.co.uk/gasbottles.htmlThe GAS IT-marketed equivalent to the Alugas/Prakto/Gaslow containers is the STAKO range, but every STAKO bottle has an over-£200 price-tag. STAKO-made bottles all have their contents gauge set flat in the top of the canister (see attached photo) so it should be straightforward for you to identify if these are the ones you have.Gaslow stainless-steel hoses are not just ordinary rubber hoses with a braided-metal covering: they have a corrugated stainless-steel inner and a 20-year change interval.http://www.dicklanemotorhomes.co.uk/pdfs/gaslow-stainless-steel-hose.pdf

stako.jpg.4615021a9d606693f1518333ba6098c0.jpg

I'm looking at getting a refillable gas system installed, so we can spend longer abroad and also to escape the faff of changing Calor bottles.

I'm considering either one or two Alugas bottles, because I think they are significantly lighter than the other brands? I'm interested in minimising our load as only registered at 3,500kg and we can get a bit close to that. But the Alugas do seem to be much more expensive!

We currently use a pair of 6kg Calor lite bottles, but I think our locker will hold 11kg bottles - in fact the Rapido brochure indicates 13kg - but I'll need to measure up for the 11kg ones.

Are there any alternative lightweight refillable bottles (other than Safefill, which isn't for us)?

Your Rapido V68’s gas-locker will have been designed to accept two French-norm metal 13kg bottles that have a diameter of 300mm and a height of (approx) 570mm.

11kg metal user-refillable bottles generally have a diameter of 300mm. The height will vary but, if there is a protective carrying-handle/shroud, this can be removed to reduce the bottle’s height. So any two metal 11kg user-refillable bottles should fit into your Rapidio's locker.

An Alugas 11kg bottle has a tare weight of 6.7kg, while the tare weight of steel 11kg refillable bottles is around 11kg to 13kg. To the best of my knowledge the Alugas canisters are the only ‘light’ metal ones.

If you were desparate to save weight and keep the cost down, you could consider opting for a pair of 6kg steel refillable bottles, or 1 x 11kg + 1 x 6kg. Unlike the exchange-bottle approach, as refillable bottles can be topped up there’s no necessity to carry the maximum size of bottles that the locker can accommodate.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-02-06 6:30 PM

Your Rapido V68’s gas-locker will have been designed to accept two French-norm metal 13kg bottles that have a diameter of 300mm and a height of (approx) 570mm.

11kg metal user-refillable bottles generally have a diameter of 300mm. The height will vary but, if there is a protective carrying-handle/shroud, this can be removed to reduce the bottle’s height. So any two metal 11kg user-refillable bottles should fit into your Rapidio's locker.

An Alugas 11kg bottle has a tare weight of 6.7kg, while the tare weight of steel 11kg refillable bottles is around 11kg to 13kg. To the best of my knowledge the Alugas canisters are the only ‘light’ metal ones.

If you were desperate to save weight and keep the cost down, you could consider opting for a pair of 6kg steel refillable bottles, or 1 x 11kg + 1 x 6kg. Unlike the exchange-bottle approach, as refillable bottles can be topped up there’s no necessity to carry the maximum size of bottles that the locker can accommodate.

Thanks Derek - that's very helpful!

I didn't think there were any other lightweight refillable bottles, so I shall just reflect a little more before deciding exactly which setup to go for. And I'll be taking on board your valuable input. Although cost isn't the overriding consideration, I'm always keen to find find solutions that finely balance our needs with the expenditure required.

Having identified a suitable insurer, we plan to keep our van garaged in Spain next winter and fly down periodically to use it. And we're well aware that even on the southern Mediterranean coast, evenings and nights can be cool / cold at this time of year! Whilst we will use some campsites with hook-ups, we also want to be able to manage comfortably off grid too.

Thanks again for your insight!

Mike

Derek Uzzell - 2018-02-07 5:00 AM  ....  Gaslow stainless-steel hoses are not just ordinary rubber hoses with a braided-metal covering: they have a corrugated stainless-steel inner and a 20-year change interval.http://www.dicklanemotorhomes.co.uk/pdfs/gaslow-stainless-steel-hose.pdf

I hadn't appreciated that the stainless steel hoses are rubber-free until I looked up the Gaslow website, and even that website didn't mention (or I didn't spot) that they have a 20 year life.  A corrugated stainless steel inner somehow sounds as if it will be quite thin if it is to be flexible (as chimney liners certainly are thin) and somehow they don't feel entirely robust to me.

The rubber hoses are however much cheaper and since my existing high pressure hoses have lasted eleven years without looking in any way deteriorated (and I'm far from sure that my motorhoming life has another twenty to run) I will struggle with my genetic burden of Lancashire Thrift to choose the stainless steel ones!

I don’t know which Gaslow webpage you looked at, but this one

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-218-Stainless-Steel-Hose-075m

says "The hose is built to standard EN10380 and should be changed every 20 years.”

Less expensive stainless-steel gas hoses were discussed here about a year ago.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Stainless-steel-gas-hoses/46426/

It’s perhaps to be expected that the corrugated metal ‘core’ of this type of hose will cause it to be less flexible than the rubber type and that rough handling and/or really tight bending could lead to the core fracturing. This is suggested in this 2013 thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gaslow-Pigtails/33150/

My original point (I think ;-) ) is that, when comparing prices of refillable-bottle systems, it would be sensible to confirm what components are used in the system and to consider those components’ respective pros and cons.

A system comprising the cheapest gas bottles and the cheapest hoses on the market will be a lot cheaper than a system comprising the most expensive gas bottles and the most expensive hoses. That doesn’t mean that the cheapest system won’t be adequate, nor does it mean that the most expensive system will be essential. But if one just phones/emails a company and asks “How much for a refillable gas system?” (which I suspect some people do) what will be provided - although ‘good enough’ - may not be as ‘good’ as a different system that would cost not a great deal more.

Have come across a German lightweight refillable gas bottle - composite construction, supposed to be lighter than the Alugas. And at a very competitive price!

But I'm struggling to translate the German text?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Komposit-LPG-Gasflasche-Propangasflasche-Campingflasche-leichter-als-Alugas/202109021014?hash=item2f0ea2eb56:g:BF4AAOSw4Dxab03b

mikebeaches - 2018-02-07 7:32 PM

Have come across a German lightweight refillable gas bottle - composite construction, supposed to be lighter than the Alugas. And at a very competitive price!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Komposit-LPG-Gasflasche-Propangasflasche-Campingflasche-leichter-als-Alugas/202109021014?hash=item2f0ea2eb56:g:BF4AAOSw4Dxab03b

'Only to refilled by professionals in a licensed filling station' - it's a standard bottle without an 80% cut off.

Steve928 - 2018-02-07 7:51 PM

mikebeaches - 2018-02-07 7:32 PM

'Only to refilled by professionals in a licensed filling station' - it's a standard bottle without an 80% cut off.

OK thanks. I wasn't sure if a 'licensed filling station' referred simply to a petrol / diesel filling station that was also licensed to sell autogas? But I think you are suggesting it is the equivalent of a Calor bottle, except it is made of a composite construction. But a bit odd they compared it to Alugas, unless they also sell bottles that can only be exchanged and 'filled by professionals'?

Cheers

The same composite-construction LPG container is marketed in the UK - though with a POL UK-norm propane outlet.

http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/10kg-24-5-litres-light-composite-gas-cylinder-calor/

It’s just a container that can be filled with LPG and has no integrated 80% cut-off valve or non-return valve. The significant difference between this bottle and (say) a Calor propane canister is that, as the buyer of the composite bottle will own it, there’s no contractural stumbling-block regarding refilling it - if the bottle’s owner can find an LPG-selling outlet that will refill the composite bottle, that’s legally OK. ‘Exchange’ bottles (Calor, Flogas etc.) always remain the property of the company providing them, so you never ‘own’ a Calor/Flogas bottle and you never have the right to refill it or sell it.

Filling the bottle advertised on the LPGShop website would be as safe/risky as filling the MTH Autogas composite bottle I mentioned in my posting of 3 February 2018 5:49 PM here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Refillable-gas-bottles/48641/

The gas-bottle market in Germany differs from the UK’s in that it is possible to buy ‘exchange type’ gas bottles with no safety features as well as hire those bottles, and if you own the bottle you can get it refilled there. At one stage in the past Truma’s website used to include advice on European countries where gas-cylinder refilling was common practice and where it was difficult.

Archived