Wireless reversing setup.

I wonder if anyone can help with a query I have?

My reversing camera stopped working (it was a fault on the camera itself). As I already had a Garmin 760 Camper satnav, I decided to buy the Garmin BC20 wireless reversing camera and use the satnav screen as the Monitor. It worked well for about 2 years then stopped working and I believe the fault to be on the satnav (monitor) end of the system. The BC20 is now obsolete and a repair by Garmin is ludicrously expensive (even if they still have the parts, an answer to which they would not reply).

So, I have a camera and wireless sender unit. Would it be possible to buy a wireless monitor and pair the two together? The reason I ask is that the BC20 is small and discreet and could be fitted to our car.

Any advice will be appreciated.

On-line adverts suggest that the Garmin BC20 camera/transmitter is not obsolete.

This advert

https://tinyurl.com/yage8sml

says that the BC20 product is compatible with the following Garmin devices

Garmin dzl 570LMT Garmin dzl 770LMTHD Garmin nüvi 2457LMT Garmin nüvi 2497LMT Garmin nüvi 2539LMT Garmin nüvi 2557LMT Garmin nüvi 2558LMTHD Garmin nüvi 2559LMT Garmin nüvi 2577LT Garmin nüvi 2589LMT Garmin nüvi 2597LMT Garmin nüvi 2598LMTHD Garmin nüvi 2599LMTHD Garmin nüvi 2639LMT Garmin nüvi 2689LMT Garmin nüvi 2699LMTHD Garmin nüvi 2789LMT Garmin nüvi 55 Garmin nüvi 55LM Garmin nüvi 55LMT Garmin nüvi 56 Garmin nüvi 56LM Garmin nüvi 56LMT Garmin nüvi 57 Garmin nüvi 57LM Garmin nüvi 57LMT Garmin nüvi 58 Garmin nüvi 58LM Garmin nüvi 58LMT Garmin nüvi 65LM Garmin nüvi 65LMT Garmin nüvi 66LM Garmin nüvi 66LMT Garmin nüvi 67LM Garmin nüvi 67LMT Garmin nüvi 68LM Garmin nüvi 68LMT Garmin nüviCam LMTHD Garmin RV 660LMT

and some of these should still be available and (if they have been superseded) may be reasonably inexpensive.

I understand what you have in mind, and I notice that a similar question was asked on an American GPS-related forum about a year ago. The answer was that the BC20 product would only work with the specific Garmin devices listed as being compatible.

You could try contacting Garmin Support

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/company/contact/

but I suspect that trying to ‘pair’ the BC20 with a non-Garmin device is a non-starter.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-02-07 2:15 PM

On-line adverts suggest that the Garmin BC20 camera/transmitter is not obsolete.

This advert

https://tinyurl.com/yage8sml

You could try contacting Garmin Support

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/company/contact/

but I suspect that trying to ‘pair’ the BC20 with a non-Garmin device is a non-starter.

Indeed it does.......including Garmins website itself oddly enough, though priced at £40 more than the identical one on Spesa!

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/138554

Actually - though the BC20 still appears on the Garmin website - it looks like (as 747 said) the BC20 unit is no longer marketed by Garmin.

Having rechecked, I see that the link I provided above was for the BC30 camera and this advert

https://www.activegps.co.uk/garmin-bc-20-wireless-reversing-camera.htm

says that the BC20 is discontinued.

It may be that, although a BC30 is compatible with quite a few Garmin devices, the BC20 is only compatible with the Camper 760LMT-D and dezl 760LMT-D sat-navs.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-02-07 3:02 PM

Actually - though the BC20 still appears on the Garmin website - it looks like (as 747 said) the BC20 unit is no longer marketed by Garmin.

Having rechecked, I see that the link I provided above was for the BC30 camera and this advert

https://www.activegps.co.uk/garmin-bc-20-wireless-reversing-camera.htm

says that the BC20 is discontinued.

It may be that, although a BC30 is compatible with quite a few Garmin devices, the BC20 is only compatible with the Camper 760LMT-D and dezl 760LMT-D sat-navs.

Yes i just searched ebay for BC20 and all that came up was the BC30......apart from one which is a BC20 described as "newly overhauled by Garmin and guaranteed as new condition" and £175!!

Looks like 747 would be better off buying a new BC30. Annoying and frustrating though he doesn't say how long he's had it.

My reading of 747’s posting is that he had a reversing-camera system that went wrong and - already owning a Garmin Camper 760 sat-nav - decided to link a BC20 camera to this. That was about 2-years ago, but there’s now a problem that stops the system functioning and he believes the fault lies with the Camper 760 device (Perhaps the sat-nav does not work at all, never mind not showing a rear-view image).

If his sat-nav is duff, obtaining a BC30 won’t help. And even though his BC20 might be OK, if he can’t find a sat-nav or dedicated monitor that will be compatible with it, transferring the BC20 to his car won’t be a practical proposition.

Might be better to advertise the BC20 on ebay and purchase an inexpensive complete wireless monitor/camera system for the car.

What seems to be faulty is the wireless receiver unit that clips on to the body of the 760 Camper body. A replacement is not available (after much googling). Garmin customer service is poor and I gave up as it is not economically viable to chance a repair with Garmin as they are very economical with information after numerous emails to them.

My van came with a wired system, originally provided by parkingcamera.com. Whoever fitted it drilled a hole in the back panel, then fed the wiring downwards inside the back panel to emerge inside the van below the level of a padded panel at the side of the rear fixed bed. Before I bought the BC20, I checked various websites and it seemed that new cameras came with different wiring connectors and were probably too short in length for my particular installation. I mainly went for the BC20 for convenience. Just before Christmas I contacted parkingcamera.com with my dilemma and they gave excellent customer service, much different to Garmin (which is why I doubt that I will ever buy another Garmin product). They were able to supply a camera with a special wiring adaptation that was longer and fitted through the tight vertical hole in the back panel. It is now up and running and I think the company is worth recommending.

https://www.parkingcameras.com/store/

Thanks Derek that is an excellent summation. :D

flyboyprowler - 2018-02-08 11:33 AM

Could I ask if the new parking cameras system is working well, what monitor are you using now as the Camper 760 appears to be unserviceable.

The Camper 760 still works fine as a satnav, it was only the reversing part which failed. The van came with a wired reversing system consisting of a Monitor which clips to the Cab rear view mirror. I have fitted a replacement CCD camera which has a very sharp image.

I would like to point out that when my BC20 failed, I googled using 'Garmin BC20 reviews' and found a lot of complaints by users, mostly from the USA. I hope the newer BC30 is better quality.

I have to agree that Garmin are not good with the PR bit. I have a 760 as well, and as a way of finding campsites it is great, but as a sat nav, it leaves a lot to be desired. Also, having sent many map inaccuracies they have rarely been acknowledged, and as far as I know, not corrected. Speed limits generally wrong, and some route planning not the best!! We always follow with maps and have saved a lot of time on the sat nav calculation. I was thinking of getting the wireless system as well, but your experience has put me off.

Does anyone make a decent reliable sat nav with campsites?

Ainsley

I remembered reading this a couple of months ago and thought at the time that sat navs have probably had it as after fit items.

I have a Garmin with lifetime maps and used it in conjunction with an App on my Android on our trip to Portugal last year. 

They never agreed and I found that the free Android app was far better and of course up to date.

I won't be buying another SatNag

Archived