Pre Planning info sought for Croatia in May

kevandali

Hi All.
I already have a list of places to see in Croatia from someone that lived there. We have not started planning yet and realise that because we only have 7 to 9 days in Croatia itself we won't be visiting everything this time round.
I pick the other/better half up (she reads this) on the 13th May from Split and that has far as we have got with the planning so far because any info gleaned from here may alter our plans.
A rough idea is not to visit Dubrovnik this time around but concentrate on Split and the neighbouring islands as well as places slightly north of split.
Was just wondering if anyone had some 'must see' places they had visited along with any nice campsites as I thing wild camping is frowned upon, but nor sure?
Any info at all much appreciated, intend to start planning in the next few weeks. Picture attached (hopefully) of the places that have been recommended.
There is also a link here if anyone wants a closer look.
Thanks again in advance for any and all info received.
Kevandali

Croatia.jpeg.2d86d1907a3489b91b46e479fb4c7243.jpeg

Hi, a couple of suggestions,

North of Split & just south of Zadar is Pakostane, camp Nordsee (acsi)

70m beach, 1km village.

A little further up is the Isle of KRK, camp Bor (acsi) 6/700m into KRK town & beaches, a steep walk

but great views from the site,

If you go up to the Istrian Peninsular, camp Valdaliso (acsi) 2km outside the fantastic town of Rovinji,

Beach- side & water taxis to Rovinji. Our favourite.

On route try Pula, if you are into Roman ruins etc

Have a good trip ( envious)

We went in 2008, so the campsites need to be checked and verified.

Towns we though well worth visiting were Pula (Camoing Stoja), Rovinj (Autocamp Porton Biondi), and Trogir (Camping Roznac). For Split (which was, in our opinion, by far the most interesting place we saw in Croatia) we used Camping Stobrec, which is a bus ride away. Split is built in, around, and out of, Diocletian's palace, so a lot of it is Roman, adapted into a town over the years. There is an amazjng undercroft, that was open to the public (basically the palace cellars) that is beneath much of the town. Odd feeling walking through 2,000 year old cellars that are holding up quite large buildings above. The cathedral is Diocletian's mausoleum, which seems fair - as he was the one who fed the Christians to the lions!

A couple of other, small, places as you're crossing Istria from Italy. Motovun, just a very pretty mediaeval hill village, though very popular as a coach destination. Quite good parking on the approach, but a good hike up to the village.

The secret gem is the tiny fortified Church of the Holy Trinity, in Hrastovlje. It is really worth making the effort to get there, and is (was :-)) not that popular as a destination. It would pay you to get all the detail on opening times you can, as there was just a local lady at a desk when we arrived, and it was plain she didn't spend all day there! GPS for this is N45.50977 E13.90133. There was no official parking, but sufficient space to pull off road more or less outside. It is in Slovenia, at the head of the Istrian peninsular, en route between Rijeca and Trieste. If you go that way, don't miss it! :-D

Not so much a response about where to go, but about how to get there!

It depends where you cross the channel of course, but my favourite route (which minimises motorway tolls) is:

Calais, Brussels (avoid rush hour), Cologne, through Germany (more than one route) to Saltzberg, and into Austria and cross the Alps via the Tauern Tunnel, via Slovenia to pick up the Adriatic highway in Croatia. The Adriatic highway goes to Split (and beyond). It is mostly motorway, and the most significant bit of ordinary road is in Slovenia. There is a toll tunnel just after the Slovenian border as well. Check it out on your favourite route planning software or sat nav, and you will see the route I mean.

The first tolls are in Austria, where a vignette is needed. You buy it before the border in any of the service area fuel stations. There is a toll for the tunnel as well. You need to be aware that this is the only tunnel through the alps which has been doubled. Separate two lane tunnels each way. Much safer! The tunnel is also cheap compared to other routes. I won't quote toll prices because I usually do it with a 4x4 and 3.5 ton of boat behind me, and although I am sure I am charged cat 2 fees it isn't always consistent.

The Adriatic highway is a very well engineered new toll road. Mainly inland and in the mountains, but the grades are easy and you can keep up a good consistent speed. The old coast road (which was also called the Adriatic highway, was really slow. It winds around every cove, up every mountain and down into every town. However when you are actually there you must use the old road - it is brilliant for sightseeing.

Final point - you allude to wild camping being discouraged. It is illegal in Croatia. So it REALLY is discouraged. We have spent nights in service areas on the Adriatic highway in the winter, but then the campsites were all closed. You have to stay in campsites to they can collect the tourist tax!

Enjoy!

Archived