Battery charging on Elddis Autocirrus

Holmesm22

Not sure about your model but I have an Elddis Accordo 135 and I can tell you that when on EHU only the leisure battery is charged, not the vehicle battery. My Accordo is also on a Boxer base.

I believe when you go up the Elddis range to the Encore models these charge both batteries when on EHU.

No doubt if you contact Elddis customer services they will be able to give you an answer.

Holmesm22 - 2018-02-12 8:19 PM

Does anyone know if the engine battery will charge if the motorhome is plugged in to the mains? I have a 2006 Autocirrus on a Peugeot Boxer base.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Mike.

The Owner Handbook for 2006 Elddis motohomes seems to be missing from the list on the Elddis website, but the handbooks for model-years surrounding 2006 strongly suggest that the onboard battery-charger fitted to your Autocirrus will charge its leisure-battery, but will NOT charge the vehicle’s starter-battery.

Whether or not an Elddis motorhome’s battery-charger will charge the starter-battery is a question that is still being asked even when the motorhome is quite new. This 2015 enquiry for example

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Elddis-battery-charging/38573/

There are devices that are (relatively) simple to install that - when the leisure-battery is being charged - will transfer some of that charge to the starter-battery and, when a motorhome is bought secondhand, there is always the possibility that one of these devices will have been fitted by a previous owner.

As was advised in the 2015 forum discussion, a test can be carried out by taking readings (using a multimeter) of the voltage of the leisure-battery and of the starter-battery and then connecting the motorhome to a 230V mains power-supply and re-taking voltage readings of both batteries.

The re-taken readings should show a significant rise in the voltage of the leisure-battery (from, say, 12.5V to 13.8V or higher). If the voltage of the starter-battery has also risen you’ll know that it is receiving charge, but if its voltage has not risen you’ll know that it is not receiving charge. (And if the voltage of neither battery has risen, you have a problem...)

Archived