Fiat mudflaps.

Brian Kirby

I have mud flaps fitted front and rear on my 6.36m Fiat Ducato and they were fitted on the van when delivered from the manufacturer so I assume they are a Fiat fitting. They are very secure and work very well in practice and make a significant difference to the amount of muck that gets thrown alongside the van (based on the state of vans without them). I have not experienced any problems with them grounding apart from on some speed humps but this is not a problem if you go slowly.

Both our 2002 and 2010 Murvi Pvc were fitted from new by Fiat with front and back mudflaps for little over £100 for the four. Ripped a rear one when trying to back over a road hump and Fiat wanted nearly a £100 for one.! Learnt a lesson but we did find the replacement on the net for considerably less from a Fiat dealer in West Wales for less. Us Southerners are ripped off!

We think they are well worth having with all the crud thrown up on our modern degrading roads.

My xlwb has Fiat ones front and rear, the fronts have always been ok, but the rear where apparently an odd fit, first time I backed up to kerb the brackets got bent (but flaps stayed on), I've now cut the flaps, IIRC they now have 6" of ground clearance.

My van is on the light chassis, but I also purchased a set of front and rear mud flaps from a Fiat dealer for about £120 via eBay. They fit quite securely, via a metal bracket which clamps around the flange below the sills and behind the wheel arches, with additional fixings through the square holes in the lips of the wheel arches. The rear flaps are fairly large and low, which cuts down spray behind the van considerably, and the front pair are also fairly effective, particularly in shielding the motorised step under the side door from much of the mud and grit it previously attracted.

I don't know for certain, but believe that the mud flaps for the heavy chassis are similar in size and method of fixing, apart from being moulded to the contours of the plastic wheel arch extensions which are absent from the light chassis.

This 2016 thread may be of interest

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/-Fiat-Mud-Flaps/40513/

I fitted Fiat OE front mud-flaps to my 2015 Ducato ‘light chassis’ coachbuilt motorhome (example of mud-flap design here)

http://www.vospers.com/parts/genuine-fiat-ducato-inc-motorhome-front-mudflaps-mudguards.html

and Vospers also advertise Ducato rear mud-flaps

http://www.vospers.com/parts/genuine-fiat-ducato-inc-motorhome-rear-mudflaps-mudguards.html

(Not sure there if there is any difference flap-wise if the Ducato is a ‘light’ or ‘maxi’ version.)

Derek Uzzell - 2018-02-14 9:39 AM

(Not sure there if there is any difference flap-wise if the Ducato is a ‘light’ or ‘maxi’ version.)

Mine (Fiat) had part number labels on the bags stating that they were for the light van, so I assume there will be different part numbers for the heavy chassis.

The rubber mouldings are contoured to follow the curve of the body panels at the front and bumper at the back, so I would suspect that the heavy chassis versions will be a different moulding to accommodate the extension of the wheel arches relative to the clamp attachment to the sill flange.

Well, thanks for all the ideas/suggestions/answers. After a lot of phoning, and a bit of probing, I have an answer.

The nearest dealer happens to be both Fiat and Peugeot.

It took a while (and a little gentle prodding) for them to dig out the parts lists, but they found that there are specific Ducato maxi mudflaps, which are different in design to the Ducato light mudflaps. The differences are to accommodate the plastic extension mouldings to both front and rear wheel arches. So far so good.

The bad news is the price. They are sold individually, not as pairs, and the front are £170 each inc VAT, the rear £173.11 inc VAT! So, £686.22 for a set of 4! Oh yea! :-D

What they also said was that they think the Ducato light mudflaps can probably be persuaded to fit, but probably not neatly, and that the Peugeot flaps may fit but are, in their opinion, of lower quality, albeit cheaper. So, he's agreed to get in a full set of both Peugeot and Fiat, on a sale or return basis, so that we can look at whether fitting either might be feasible.

The van has to go in for the intercooler pipe recall when the bits arrive, so we'll see which, if any, seem the best option then. I'll then post again with the result.

Our vans always came without mudflaps and I use to buy a pair, or two, of 'el cheapos' from Halfords or Amazon.

First time fitting was a bit of a faff but at that price it was not worth taking 'em off to re-use and second and subsequant fitting was a lot easier!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LO8N1XK/ref=s9_acsd_zgift_hd_bw_b2i8UQR_c_x_w/259-8623960-0415058?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=FW5EM8CYYT7Y5F4SDJMJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1bf8a4ac-386c-5b6d-9777-6a441ccda723&pf_rd_i=2484448031

Archived