Sky Channels

Palmerlee

I will be taking delivery of a new Autotrail Imala 730 at the beginning of March, which will be our first motorhome.

I have opted for the Media Plus pack which I understand will provide freeview channels via the satellite receiver on the roof.

If I want to receive Sky channels, e.g. Sky Sports, is it as straightforward as connecting a Sky box or is it not as simple as that? Thanks.

I imagine that you will have a couple of options. You will need to connect a Sky box with a valid card and you will get the full Sky system (subject to contract) This will work wherever the Sky broadcast pattern is available, but you will lose it, depending on your dish, around the south of France, and certainly in the very south of Spain. If you don't have the Sky card, then the Freesat channels should be available. Alternatively you may be able to watch through the internet, certainly in the UK, and possibly with a VPN, if you are in Europe. Hope you enjoy your new van.

I thought with the Sky Q you couldn't use it away from the house. We used to use a Sky Mini box, which we still have, as it can be used on 12v, they don't make them anymore, but we no longer subscribe to Sky, don't know if we could still use this box if we subscribed in the future.

Freeview is a UK only terrestrial broadcast service, received via a terrestrial aerial (not via a satellite dish).

Suggest the OP requests more information on the type of antenna provided in the media package.

To receive sky channels he will need a satellite dish.

There is a relatively new system around which incorporates a whip aerial with a ground plate but doubt if this receives satellite signals.

Palmerlee - 2018-02-14 12:32 PM

Thanks all.

The Autotrail Media Plus pack includes a "65cm fully automatic folding, roof mounted satellite system and receiver"

You will need an 85cm dish, especially if you intend to go further afield. It would be worth upgrading, if possible to a bigger dish. Also as mentioned, you would need to be on EHU to use a mains box, and that would need to be connected to the TV via an HD lead or similar, so check that your TV has the relevant connections. Sky Q can't be used away from home but the previous boxes, which are still readily available can.

flyboyprowler - 2018-02-14 12:28 PM

Palmerlee - 2018-02-14 12:32 PM

Thanks all.

The Autotrail Media Plus pack includes a "65cm fully automatic folding, roof mounted satellite system and receiver"

You will need an 85cm dish, especially if you intend to go further afield. It would be worth upgrading, if possible to a bigger dish. Also as mentioned, you would need to be on EHU to use a mains box, and that would need to be connected to the TV via an HD lead or similar, so check that your TV has the relevant connections. Sky Q can't be used away from home but the previous boxes, which are still readily available can.

A Sky digibox uses very little power. When I used to use mine I had a 150 watt invertor which was fine to run the 240 volt Sky box.

Palmerlee - 2018-02-14 11:32 AM

Thanks all.

In which case, you've probably got a freesat receiver or free-to-air receiver. You should be able to receive most of the freeview channels on that. Only downside is the lack of a comprehensive EPG (electronic programme guide).

As mentioned above, I don't know whether you can connect the latest sky Q boxes outside the home.

I have an old 12v sky box (not subscribed) which I use in combination with a free-to-air box. The two are linked via a changeover switch. The sky box with EPG is used in UK and most of France (85cm dish) and the other box when further afield. The free-to-air box is easier to use for picking up other satellites such as Astra 1 (useful if you want to watch F1 in German).

This website might be useful to check which programmes you can view in various areas although it's based on a dome type antenna: http://satfi.co.uk/coverage/

We've used several Sky boxes over the last dozen years and always via an inverter.

If we're on EHU the Sky box doesn't go off if it trips, as is a regular occurrence in the continent.

We're getting the Sky pay channels here in Spain on an 85cm dish with auto skew.

We used to have a 65cm Maxview CrankUp and that was fine for the European beams (which the Sky channels are generally on).

If the system only has a single LNB, then the Sky box has a menu setting to use one feed only.

The only problem with a satellite dish attached to the roof is that it tends to constrain where you can park. Line of sight to the satellite is essential, so parking under a nice shady tree in the middle of summer is probably not an option.

There are various aides to help with satellite reception such as an app called dish pointer or an old fashioned compass. If using a compass you need to know the relative bearing between your location and the satellite. For example, if in London and aiming at Astra 2 (BBC/ITV channels) located @ a longitude of 28 degrees East of south, you'd need a bearing of 146 degrees (ie. 34 degrees East of south).

If your initial travels are mainly in the UK then it may be worth investing in a terrestrial aerial, either roof mounted or a temporary arrangement, so you can receive freeview without the hassle of satellite line of sight issues.

The already to do some extent... via NOW TV.

The new service, designed for houses and location that cannot have a dish installed eg rentals, apartments etc, expands the channels to all sky pay channels.

But it does not mean the end of satellite TV,. merely another way of getting them

Robbo - 2018-02-14 10:58 PM

The only problem with a satellite dish attached to the roof is that it tends to constrain where you can park. Line of sight to the satellite is essential, so parking under a nice shady tree in the middle of summer is probably not an option.

If your initial travels are mainly in the UK then it may be worth investing in a terrestrial aerial, either roof mounted or a temporary arrangement, so you can receive freeview without the hassle of satellite line of sight issues.

Does that mean that a stylite dome does not have the problem of a dish has, ie parking in the shade?

flyboyprowler - 2018-02-15 9:10 AM

Robbo - 2018-02-14 10:58 PM

Does that mean that a stylite dome does not have the problem of a dish has, ie parking in the shade?

I'm not familiar with the stylite dome but all domes, as far as I know, have a small satellite dish under the cover. So you still need line of sight to the satellite.

Archived