The £1 Houses: Britain's Cheapest Street

Bulletguy

This looks a good watch on Channel 4 tonight 9pm. A documentary series on UK's cheapest houses. Tonight features some in Liverpool being flogged off at a quid a piece. One couple have already bought and sorted theirs out and it was shown on a news clip earlier today. Made a cracking job of it too.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/2915953/135758308/the-%C2%A31-houses-britains-cheapest-street

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2018-02-14 8:10 PM

The bigger question for me is why a local authority allowed an area to become so run down the houses were only worth a quid? 8-) ..........

Ooooh I may have found the answer ;-) .........

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/mar/27/liverpool-rotting-housing-renewal-pathfinder

Labour Nut Jobs at work again >:-) .........

Anyone can play that daft game.......you really should think before posting such tripe. *-)

Ooooooh look......a salubrious area darn sarf under control of the Tory Terror. :-(

21181019_TORYTOWN.jpg.b6f1d47b7d3d5a7e7395954fa954aab7.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-02-14 9:08 PM

And exactly which Council were responsible for this death trap......who'd constantly ignored warnings from residents?

Yer Tory chums. :-(

Yer Labour chums ain't much better by the looks of things *-) ........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/buildings-have-grenfell-tower-problem-cladding/

Actually they're prolly looking worse than Tories >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-02-14 8:59 PM

pelmetman - 2018-02-14 8:10 PM

The bigger question for me is why a local authority allowed an area to become so run down the houses were only worth a quid? 8-) ..........

Ooooh I may have found the answer ;-) .........

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/mar/27/liverpool-rotting-housing-renewal-pathfinder

Labour Nut Jobs at work again >:-) .........

Anyone can play that daft game.......you really should think before posting such tripe. *-)

Ooooooh look......a salubrious area darn sarf under control of the Tory Terror. :-(

Have you been to Jaywick? ;-) .......I have.... and given the choice ......

I'd prefer Jaywick :D .......

pelmetman - 2018-02-14 9:27 PM

And exactly which Council were responsible for this death trap......who'd constantly ignored warnings from residents?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/buildings-have-grenfell-tower-problem-cladding/

From the above samples i posted i'm struggling to see how anyone with half a brain could possibly arrive at that conclusion. Unless you seriously believe both stand as testament to Tory glory?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-02-14 9:39 PM

From the above samples i posted i'm struggling to see how anyone with half a brain could possibly arrive at that conclusion. Unless you seriously believe both stand as testament to Tory glory?

Well you're the one trying to blame Grenfell on the Tories whilst conveniently ignoring the FACT that Labour councils have been just as happy using the same cladding........

For example there are 9 tower blocks in Salford.....who runs the council LABOUR >:-) .......

So your attempt to blame it on the Tories is a typical example of loony lefty Codswallop *-) .......

Disasters are usually caused by a fatal combination of factors rather than just one - as was Grenfell. It wasn't just the cladding that caused Grenfell - it was all the other failures of the Royal Tory Borough council. Thats why the fire was there. If it had happened the week before the election instead of the wek after we would be looking at a different Prime Minister. May is well aware of that because she is bribing the DUP with our money to buy their votes rather than face an election now.

Back to topic. The Labour council wanted to clear the area and build public housing. The Government changed and the new Tory Government thwarted their plans by cutting funding. So now we have a stand off. The Tories are preventing them building public housing. Whilst the Labour council are preventing public assets being sold off cheap to the Tories chums for private development. This plan to sell them off cheap to people who need them is an attempt to break the deadlock.

We are where we are and instead of all this stupid pointless political point scoring attempts why don't you all try pulling together to devise solutions to years of inept short sighted government mismanagement of the country's resources by all parties.

Perhaps it is the senior civil service and self interest that allows such incompetence in so many departments to prevail regardless of government.

And as for local government, my perception is of yet another layer of inept self interest by all parties, all bar a few genuine people whose careers never seem to last long.

Ans as for giving houses away to deserving families, what a wonderful idea to encourage decent people to make their own future. Good luck to them all, although it was made to look as if a bit more security support and anti crime help from the police and local authority would not go amiss

Tracker - 2018-02-15 10:04 AM

Ans as for giving houses away to deserving families, what a wonderful idea to encourage decent people to make their own future.

Can't say I like the idea because there aren't enough to go round and deciding who gets one is as much a recipe for corruption as the planning system. >:-)

But its better than leaving them empty.

a bit more security support and anti crime help from the police and local authority would not go amiss

But how do we get that? The legislation is already there. The saying 'An Englishman's home is his Castle' means that under the law, every Englishman's home has the same protection as Windsor Castle.

If thats not happening its because of police corruption. How can we change that?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-02-15 9:03 AM

Disasters are usually caused by a fatal combination of factors rather than just one - as was Grenfell. It wasn't just the cladding that caused Grenfell - it was all the other failures of the Royal Tory Borough council. Thats why the fire was there. If it had happened the week before the election instead of the wek after we would be looking at a different Prime Minister. May is well aware of that because she is bribing the DUP with our money to buy their votes rather than face an election now.

Back to topic. The Labour council wanted to clear the area and build public housing. The Government changed and the new Tory Government thwarted their plans by cutting funding. So now we have a stand off. The Tories are preventing them building public housing. Whilst the Labour council are preventing public assets being sold off cheap to the Tories chums for private development. This plan to sell them off cheap to people who need them is an attempt to break the deadlock.

Correction it was a Hotpoint fridge freezer - model number FF175BP that started the blaze, it just so happened to be in a tower bloke owned by a Tory council.......

Are you seriously saying it couldn't happen in a similar block owned by a Labour council? *-) ...........

If so, why are they bothering to remove the cladding? >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-02-15 11:31 AM

John52 - 2018-02-15 9:03 AM

Correction it was a Hotpoint fridge freezer - model number FF175BP that started the blaze, it just so happened to be in a tower bloke owned by a Tory council.......

Are you seriously saying it couldn't happen in a similar block owned by a Labour council? *-) ...........

If so, why are they bothering to remove the cladding? >:-) ..........

This is going to take someone with more patience than me to explain all the other failings leading up to the Grenfell Tower fire. Preferably with very small words and the liberal use of pictures *-)

And as for giving houses away to deserving families, what a wonderful idea to encourage decent people to make their own future. Good luck to them all, although it was made to look as if a bit more security support and anti crime help from the police and local authority would not go amiss.

Well i'm not sure if you viewed or not Richard but i agree about the idea and encouragement. There also certainly needs more support from police as the area has remained derelict for some years with local youngsters thieving, but then of course the police are seriously undermanned.

It's not as easy as simply buying the house for a quid. Every house needs a budget of around £40k to renovate so each applicant must be able to raise that too. Also some houses were in a worse state of repair than others and no applicant got a choice of property, they were interviewed primarily to ensure they were not property developers, told the estimated costs of renovating, then handed a key to a house if they were accepted. Also each renovation had to be inspected to ensure it met with planning and safety etc. No owners could sell until they had lived in the property for five years.

This link shows the first couple who completed and moved in. The transformation is quite impressive.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/family-bought-house-council-1-13887486

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-02-15 1:19 PM

This is going to take someone with more patience than me to explain all the other failings leading up to the Grenfell Tower fire. Preferably with very small words and the liberal use of pictures *-)

Really?.......So why did Labour owned flats get covered in the same cladding? ;-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-02-15 4:01 PM

John52 - 2018-02-15 1:19 PM

Really?.......So why did Labour owned flats get covered in the same cladding? ;-) ..........

That was way back in the year 5BC (Before Corbyn ;-) )

It was a mistake but on its own not enough to cause a fire like that.

It took a Royal Tory Borough to turn a mistake into a disaster.

Warnings from Tenants were ignored because they don't vote Tory :-(

John52 - 2018-02-15 4:28 PM

It took a Royal Tory Borough to turn a mistake into a disaster.

Actually it took an unfortunate resident with a badly designed fridge feezer to turn that and other mistakes into a disaster and it will be interesting to see if the maker gets sued for their poor design.

But it does take a short sighted and misguided mischief making political activist to try to make political capital from such a tragedy of multi faceted errors.

How can anyone point out who is 'responsible' for Grenfell Tower without being accused of political point scoring?

-------------

Its been a Royal Tory Borough continuously since before Grenfell Tower even got on to the drawing board. Says it all that those 'responsible' for Grenfell Tower can only defend themselves by accusing others of political point scoring.

John52 - 2018-02-15 6:13 PM

How can anyone point out who is 'responsible' for Grenfell Tower without being accused of political point scoring?

-------------

Its been a Royal Tory Borough continuously since before Grenfell Tower even got on to the drawing board. Says it all that those 'responsible' for Grenfell Tower can only defend themselves by accusing others of political point scoring.

Why don't you wait for the report to be published ???

As I understand it building control and the minimum specifications for construction are national standards and would come from central government not from a local authority of any colour, so as I see it the fire could have started in any one of dozens of blocks throughout the country, as borne out by the revelations that the same cladding is used elsewhere, so yes you are trying it on to score political points out of a tragedy.

Anyway much as I hate to interupt your politcal bile and manipulation of an unrelated thread, shall we get back to the £1 house topic?

Tracker - 2018-02-15 6:25 PM

As I understand it building control and the minimum specifications for construction are national standards and would come from central government not from a local authority of any colour, so as I see it the fire could have started in any one of dozens of blocks throughout the country, as borne out by the revelations that the same cladding is used elsewhere, so yes you are trying it on to score political points out of a tragedy.

Anyway much as I hate to interupt your politcal bile and manipulation of an unrelated thread, shall we get back to the £1 house topic?

So you make your point then want to close discussion of it.

It wasn't just the building standards. It was the absence of fire extinguishers, warden etc - all the things residents had asked for etc.

antony1969 - 2018-02-15 6:16 PM

-------------

Waited long enough already for thieir whitewash

John52 - 2018-02-15 6:53 PM

antony1969 - 2018-02-15 6:16 PM

-------------

Waited long enough already for thieir whitewash

So you've come up with your own though you nothing about it

Archived