Accessories

timofleeds

Maybe not a 'motorhome accessory' as such, but esential to me, insulated caffetiere, like a standerd one but encased in plastic 'double glazing', keeps my favorite ground coffee warm while brewing and plastic protects glass caffetiere while traveling

Two eighteen year old girls does it for me. :D

Or silver screens - Cadac gas bbq - comfy chairs - small slow cooker - satelite lcd tv - well stocked victuals locker - tool kit - wind breaks - awning - little dog - push bikes - randy wife. I could go on.

Without a doubt CRUISE CONTROL is number one.

After that (assuming you don,t have a diesel heater because it will never keep up with it) a big SOLAR PANEL.

Well, that,s a grand spent already. How much do you want to spend?

Wind out awning and safari room?

I assume that a terestrial TV is part of the standard package and for us Satellite TV doesn,t even rate, we don,t have satellite or cable at home anyway.

Laptop socket and wired in inverter for the sockets generally?

After this the nick knacks become rather bespoke!

Good luck, its fun playing with them isn't it?

C.

flicka - 2007-01-15 10:13 PM

peter - 2007-01-15 9:10 PM

- randy wife. I could go on.

And all that in a 2 berth. >:-) :-D :-D

Flicka

There's 4 beds in a 710f. :D

Hi tim,

For us it would be:-

Equal First

Cruise control

Sat Nav

Gaslow refillable cylinders

Rear view and reversing camera's

Silver Screens or derivitive (internal and external)

External BBQ points

Cadac BBQ

Pro-Tec cover.

We have those items on any van we have without question.

Bas

We have only recently started motorhoming and had to replace our old gas bbq from our caravanning days. Someone on this forum recommended the COBB bbq which you can use inside or out. You light it outside always and then bring inside if you want so you can use it if the weather is bad. Its brilliant. The website is www.cobb-bbq.co.uk

The other item we used in the UK were external window covers made by Tayormade of Holmfirth, they are more or less the same as Silver screens.

The next item we are going to buy after again being recommended is a double skillet from D & F Promotions, not got around to ordering yet, but will do so this week.

Tim,

The simple answer is to do what most of us do: use the vehicle and then buy the 'can't do without' items.

The things NOT to buy quickly are:

- folding bikes

- safari rooms

- solar panels.

All are expensive and the first two regularly feature in the 'most common' for sale lists in the MMM accessories classifieds. So lots of people buy them and never use them.

A solar panel is only necessary if (a) you have very high electricity consumption and, (b) you frequently stay at places other than camp sites for extended periods. And even then, it's much cheaper and more effective to add extra batteries first.

As to cooking, BBQs are nice but many sites ban them (for the sake of those downwind of the smoke and cooking smells!). And it depends on what cooking facilities your van is fitted with and what sort of cooking you want to do. Try the van out first and then see.

What I can say, incontrovertibly, is that we all spend dosh on accessories we rarely use - waste it, in other words - and nowhere is this behaviour more prevalent than at motorhome shows!

Mel E

====

Dear Randonneur,

Double skillet is a very good item to own - we also own a Cobb but didn't use it as much as we thought we would last summer, while staying at Mansle, fairly near you I guess. Thought Dave's list was spot on, though we would like a handyman to travel with us as well.

Empress

Guest Frank Wilkinson

On of those brilliant wind-out sun shades that you can put away in minutes. Essential for dining out under a blazing Continental sun.

Also we have two dining chairs and a table for dining outside, all of which roll up into cases similar to a tripod case. In my van they actually fit in longish lockers on the top sides of the cab but in others may slot in behind the seats.

Dining al fresco on a lovely summer day must be one of any type of caravanning's greatest pleasures.

peter - 2007-01-15 10:35 PM

flicka - 2007-01-15 10:13 PM

peter - 2007-01-15 9:10 PM

- randy wife. I could go on.

And all that in a 2 berth. >:-) :-D :-D

Flicka

There's 4 beds in a 710f. :D

But as 2 of them are bunks without much head room ....!

:$

My 'accessories' etc:

Dogs (it's not fun without them)

Rats (except when they try to escape by chewing their bars)

Dog's squeeky hamburger (helps keep her under control!)

Husband (good for BBQing)

Electric blanket (in winter)

DVD & VCR & TV

MMM mag of course!

PDA Sat Nav

Dips & bread sticks ... lovely on a night whilst watching TV

Tea bags

I could go on but I won't!!! *-)

Clive - 2007-01-16 10:26 PM

Dave,

I see that Jackie only just scraped one place in front of the beer!!!

She would be much higher up my list but not as an accessory but an essential - she can cook!

See ya

C.

Clive, why can't you people read a post properly before posting some inflammatory comment like this!

I did say right at the start "in no particular order"

D. *-)

Mel B: I'm a little worried at the thought of you barbecuing your husband. My wife occasionally reads stuff on this forum and I wouldn't want her getting ideas!

Frank: love the new picture, trouble is, I find myself imagining the voice to match when I read your posts now - not always a good idea!!!

My accessories:

1. since we have a small Transit without dedicated bottle storage, I liberated an old Communion Wine box from church. It fits nicely under a seat and becomes our "Wine Cellar."

2. a gazebo rather than any kind of awning. Can't use it on aires or wild-camping, but on a site you can put it up independently of the van, not attached, and wherever the sun moves to it gives shade SOMEWHERE on the pitch.

3. again, in our "tiny-tranny," there's no shower, but I've modified one of those hair-washing gadgets you can get for a fiver or so. It clips on a bracket outside the van, and connects to the sink tap inside. Have to keep swimming cossie on (in most locations anyway) but it's great on a hot day.

I'll probably think of some others, but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Tony

• 5 months later...
Clive - 2007-01-15 10:33 PM

Laptop socket and wired in inverter for the sockets generally?

Hi Clive, we are off to Btittany in three weeks and are thinking about taking the laptop.

I was going to buy an inverter for the lap top but what do you mean exactly when you say wired in inverter?

Can an inverter be wired in so one socket can produce 240v when not hooked up?

Or am I better off just buying an inverter from ebay that plugs into the cigerette lighter?

cheers

kevandali

Our essentials

Wife (top of the list)

Sat Nav

Good books

Plenty of wine

leveling ramps (not got yet *-) )

Inverters are ok for a lot of things but to power a laptop

I prefer to use a 12 VDC power supply as there are fewer losses, you only convert the voltage once so only one loss. with an inverter you convert 12 VDC to 240VAC then the laptop's psu converts the 240VAC back to something like 15-20 VDC. you can get one from Maplin for about £20

D.

Archived