Motorhome or caravan

sandalwood

Guest pelmetman

From my observations some Moho folk go back to caravans once they reach 70 because of licence/health issues ;-) .........

Personally I'm gender moho/tugger fluid as we have both :D .........

Caravan.cons,,,,,cheap to keep,and buy.more useable room,little mantainence.no road tax.use of car when pitched. downside,storage,c'ant up and go,access to some places difficult.towing the bloody thing.need a mover for pitching.and you become a miserable old git like they all seem to be!I'ts your choice :-D

tazdog6007 - 2018-02-18 4:13 PM

Caravan.cons,,,,,cheap to keep,and buy.more useable room,little mantainence.no road tax.use of car when pitched. downside,storage,c'ant up and go,access to some places difficult.towing the bloody thing.need a mover for pitching.and you become a miserable old git like they all seem to be!I'ts your choice :-D

Oi I changed from a motor home to a caravan and I've always been a miserable git (not old yet) so don't blame the caravan.

I don't think its age that determines whether anyone can tow a caravan although having the driving licence, issues need to be resolved. Modern cars and the technology used to make towing easier than in the past help. It comes down to whether the owner is sufficiently able bodied [or has suitable adjustments made] and mentally alert on our increasingly busy roads.

I met a couple in Castleton last November who had just bought a new Elddis twin axle. They were both in their 80s. Being active caravanners and keen walkers, they felt this helped them remain physically fit and mentally alert. They were certainly mentally alert if our conversations were a guide and they packed up their 'van [can't manage an awning now] with military precision. They'd been caravanning since they were married, over 50 years I guessed.

tazdog6007 - 2018-02-18 4:13 PM

I have had both Caravans and Motorhomes over the years and cannot say I prefer one over the other, I Have flitted between both types, Storage is no more difficult with either, you do not need a mover to pitch, with a reasonable amount of skill and patience one can maneuver a caravan whilst still attached to the tow vehicle , caravans are not difficult to tow, they just follow the tow vehicle, obviously a certain amount of skill is needed as it is driving a large Motorhome, as for becoming a miserable old Git, I have met plenty of those in the Motorhome world too , many think that having a Motorhome makes them superior in some way ? I currently have a large Motorhome and love it but will have no problem changing to a Caravan at any time in the future should the desire grab me. (lol) (lol)

There are many pros and cons to both towed caravans and motorhomes and at the end of the day it comes down to a personal choice based on ease of use, cost, convenience and suitability for needs at the time.

As for miserable old gits, I appreciate that it was probably a tongue in cheek throw away and it made me smile, but there are a few miserable gits on here so no need to visit a campsite!

Our experience is that caravan people are no less or no more outgoing or miserable than motorhomers any of whom can be a bit techy after struggling to set up following a tiring drive!

Think it comes down to usage and how you want to use your choice.

- Caravan users tend to travel in a star pattern, drive to a site, set up the caravan, unhitch, and then go out, coming back to the caravan. Motorhome usage is more linear - driving from a to b to c. - Although typically Motorhome users leave the van and maybe bike, walk or take public transport to visit places, - some even tow a car, best (or worse) of both worlds.

Personally I have never been keen on towing, spent too long towing motorcycle trailers to race meets in my youth which where not always the easiest or best behaved things to tow - but am more than happy in a motorhome. - Allows me to have a sports car (ish) for my everyday transport and the m/h for trips away, best of both worlds.

When it comes down to cost - Caravans are cheaper than motorhomes, - however by the time you've bought the caravan, bought a suitable car, plus all the bits and pieces, - not necessarily much in it.

I think it entirely horses for courses, - but as I get older, possibly more infirm, I think a 3500kg van is the way to go, possibly less strenuous effort, no need to park it, set it up, mess about with stabilisers, (although we do level the van with ramps) move it about, hitch it to the car, etc.

Tall_Mike - 2018-02-19 1:19 PM

Think it comes down to usage and how you want to use your choice.

- Caravan users tend to travel in a star pattern, drive to a site, set up the caravan, unhitch, and then go out, coming back to the caravan. Motorhome usage is more linear - driving from a to b to c. - Although typically Motorhome users leave the van and maybe bike, walk or take public transport to visit places, - some even tow a car, best (or worse) of both worlds.

Personally I have never been keen on towing, spent too long towing motorcycle trailers to race meets in my youth which where not always the easiest or best behaved things to tow - but am more than happy in a motorhome. - Allows me to have a sports car (ish) for my everyday transport and the m/h for trips away, best of both worlds.

When it comes down to cost - Caravans are cheaper than motorhomes, - however by the time you've bought the caravan, bought a suitable car, plus all the bits and pieces, - not necessarily much in it.

I think it entirely horses for courses, - but as I get older, possibly more infirm, I think a 3500kg van is the way to go, possibly less strenuous effort, no need to park it, set it up, mess about with stabilisers, (although we do level the van with ramps) move it about, hitch it to the car, etc.

............and pack it all away again when you realise you've forgotten the milk and need to pop down the shop! :When we first bought the camper van (because Madam wanted it!) I said OK, but we must be able to pack it all away and be on the road in ten minutes, otherwise no deal.She got the message, so the camper is not plagued with all the nick-nacks and useless clutter that the caravan suffers from!

I would say, though, that if your type of holiday is one-night stand touring, then a caravan is not really want you want.

As has been said so often, you pays your money, and you makes your choice!

Having been a caravanner for nearly 40 years I have just moved to the other side at 70. Swift escape.

Only used it twice so far but lots of plans for this year Le mans 24 hours being one of them.

I do find it very different, the main and obvious issue is you cant go anywhere once on site. Im sure we will get get used to it but it will take time. Its just a different type of holiday. Its all pros and Cons.Whether you Motorhome or caravan just enjoy it

happy Holidays

David

Hì folks, we have been there and back several time over the years, and currently motorhome side of fence

shortly to reach antiquity, 80, And wìth minor health issue needing frequent visits to little room, find motorhome is slightly more "convenient"€

car and van option easier in uk as there are no aires in uk for van only so it means need to find cl type locations, or similar, or proper sites, hence more costly, .

Caravan plus awning means staying in one location for longer, so using car for days out is easier, but I miss the "convenience" of not having one in the car.

Motorhome parking always less simple than car only, manybe 2 spaces to pay instead of just one,.but the

"convenience" is on board.

we have recently investigated the option of changing to small campervan, but compared to stargazer, they are tiny, so decluttering with a vengeance would be needed, and there is still the "inconvenience"of where to put one, .

Current motorhome now due for mot, booked for 5th march, then tax insurance etc first April, so do we give up and "retire" all together ..decision time..??

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2018-02-21 9:08 AM

Hì folks, we have been there and back several time over the years, and currently motorhome side of fence

shortly to reach antiquity, 80, And wìth minor health issue needing frequent visits to little room, find motorhome is slightly more "convenient"€

car and van option easier in uk as there are no aires in uk for van only so it means need to find cl type locations, or similar, or proper sites, hence more costly, .

Caravan plus awning means staying in one location for longer, so using car for days out is easier, but I miss the "convenience" of not having one in the car.

Motorhome parking always less simple than car only, manybe 2 spaces to pay instead of just one,.but the

we have recently investigated the option of changing to small campervan, but compared to stargazer, they are tiny, so decluttering with a vengeance would be needed, and there is still the "inconvenience"of where to put one, .

Current motorhome now due for mot, booked for 5th march, then tax insurance etc first April, so do we give up and "retire" all together ..decision time..??

Tonyg3nwl

Hi

Even if considering "retiring" altogether, presumably that'd only really be from the "living in" side of things anyway?..

Is there any reason why a small, low or pop roofed day-van / camper couldn't still be an option, as both usual transport and for "comfortable" days out etc?

tonyg3nwl - 2018-02-21 9:08 AM

Tonyg3nwl

Don't give up Tony!

We both in 80.s and had thought our time was running out, But have decided to keep van for this year at least. OH prefers to drive van than car, likes being high up I guess!

We are "playing it by ear" at the moment. Got a quote to sell, disappointed with price, so did not proceed.

In fact we are going to have the decals replaced, as one side is faded, so will make it "pretty again.!"

Will keep as long as possible, just passed MOT and had service, so ready to go, come May. Like you we have health problems (who doesn't in 80.s ?)

SO Keep going while you can, I think you will regret it , if you give up too early

PJay

Thanks pjay for encouragement,

We went to loçal dealer this morning to look at day van options, and asked for approx sale value of van. Book price quoted without seeing the van was lower than we hoped for, but might squeeze a bit more once they see it. Possibly significantly more if we buy something twice the price offered, or even higher.

Day vans option dont have the "convenience" on board, but could get something , but free standing..

day vans too small to carry all our clutter, so gave up that thought, too expensive as well.

panel van option, more space, more expensive, so option to change ruled out.

so, either continue as at present, or quit completely..

since other half declines to go abroad again, fearing possible worst case of being stranded in foreign country, not understanding the language etc, even with insurance backup,, just leaves uk touring options only.or quit completely.

Just one other possibility is that we meet up with similar couple, who could provide mutual backup in even of worst case happening., and would be travelling to same destination at same time...

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2018-02-21 10:21 PM

Day vans option dont have the "convenience" on board, but could get something , but free standing..

day vans too small to carry all our clutter, so gave up that thought, too expensive as well.

panel van option, more space, more expensive, so option to change ruled out.

so, either continue as at present, or quit completely..

since other half declines to go abroad again, fearing possible worst case of being stranded in foreign country, not understanding the language etc, even with insurance backup,, just leaves uk touring options only.or quit completely.

Just one other possibility is that we meet up with similar couple, who could provide mutual backup in even of worst case happening., and would be travelling to same destination at same time.

We used an outside loo - toilet tent - many years ago and it is fine when on site - except it's flippin hot when the sun shines and flippin cold at night! Plus when on the road it is less than - err - convenient!

The are plenty of lower priced used vans about and if you are careful the less you pay the lower the depreciation and if you are staying in the UK reliability and recovery are easier to cope with than abroad.

That said, modern vans are pretty reliable and whilst things can and do go wrong you would be very unlucky indeed to be stuck broken down and unable to drive it.

It is one thing to go in convoy with friends you have known for a while and even then conflicts of mileage to be covered, stopping locations, route, destination can blight the eperience. Heaven knows how it would work with strangers?

There must be an acceptable solution out there so don't give up too easily.

We sold our van last year and I miss it almost as much as I miss my border collie who died five years ago !

Downsizing is never easy and can be darned hard work with put and take and 'compact' loos and beds and kichen and possible uncomfortable lounging, especially when you have a van as good as a Starcruiser so would it be so bad to keep the devil you know and just stick to easy to get to UK destinations?

We gave up motorhoming at the beginning 2017 after more than fourty happy years with both caravans and motorhomes. We just suddenly decided at our age and with a few health problems it was getting to much like hard work and we were only doing it because that was what we had always done. Within a week we had sold our Warwick XL for a good price and cancelled the seasons site bookings.

Since then we’ve been using selfcatering accomidation. Everything from luxury barn conversions through to statics. We’ve stayed in a chalet overlooking the sea at Sizewell, two superb mobile homes, one set in a Forrest in Norfolk and one overlooking a private lake, an upside down house at Pevency Bay overlooking the channel, three barn conversions , and an old fisherman’s cottage.

We’ve enjoyed them all. Having the use of the car has enabled us cover a large area from wherever we’ve been staying helping to offset our reduced ability to walk all day as we used to. I thought we would miss meeting people on site but we’ve met up and chatted to loads of interesting locals and fellow holiday makers. We met one couple at a bus stop on the south coast and finished up spending the evening on their boat in the harbour. Only the fact we did not have our passports with us prevented us sailing to France for the week end.

Do we miss the motorhome? No what we miss is the life we used to have with it when we were younger (we are in our late seventies now] rather than the motorhome it’s self. Our accomidation has not been cheap but at the end of the year I added up what we had spent and compared it with what the motorhome would have cost taking everything into account such as running costs, site fees, maintenance, tax and insurance etc and was supervised to find we were over £4,000 better off.

It’s not for everyone but well worth considering rather than just ploughing on to the bitter end with a motorhome or caravan. We made the change while we were fit enough to enjoy it and have not regretted it.

Only thing we do miss at our age is not having the facilities available when we get stuck in traffic!

Nice to see your still posting Tracker.

Thanks for seeing my (miserable old git )comment for what it was,an attempt at humour) but it did raise some interesting blogs on the subject.and must admit to having pangs of dought when i see inside some of the cracking caravans around,and the value for money they seem to be :-|

Now approaching my 90th year I reckon I have the better answer "at this moment in time". From backpacking, tents, hotels, B&B's, Caravans, and M/H's.

The VW is easy in all ways, a high driving view, good for short stays away, two excellent beds, toilet, and cooking facilities. It allows single or double days out with a return to home comforts at night, it fits into car parks for shopping, is easy to manoeuver and is also our daily transport.

Space is limited so choose your days out, no need to take additional clutter, like TV, spare clothing and weatherproofs. We go for the views and interest and not doing what others do.

Its also very useable for one person to visit special events. Adapting to your life style is the key.

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2018-02-23 12:21 PM

Now approaching my 90th year I reckon I have the better answer "at this moment in time". From backpacking, tents, hotels, B&B's, Caravans, and M/H's.

The VW is easy in all ways, a high driving view, good for short stays away, two excellent beds, toilet, and cooking facilities. It allows single or double days out with a return to home comforts at night, it fits into car parks for shopping, is easy to manoeuver and is also our daily transport.

Space is limited so choose your days out, no need to take additional clutter, like TV, spare clothing and weatherproofs. We go for the views and interest and not doing what others do.

Its also very useable for one person to visit special events. Adapting to your life style is the key.

Wise words again Mrs T :D ........

I've already decided what ever vehicle I end up driving last will deffo have a Thetford ;-) ........

Hopefully by then Thetford will be making a driving seat version (lol) ........

Hi Tony, likewise, we in Berkshire, go to France twice yearly, ferry to Cherbourg, one night at L’anse du brick for 1 night, 8 miles from ferry, great site. Then to Haliotis at Ponterson, lovely open site near lovely town of Dol de Bretagne, ( parking for MH) 3 nights. Then to Taupont ( orchard) great, for night. Then to Les Embruns at Le Pouldu for one week. Lovely site, great swimming pool, walk to village by the sea, marvellous. We to are oldies, all campsites speak English, wardens great, for info, small mishaps, no problems at all. French roads easy, much better than Uk. We do this twice a year, same journey, same places, may seem boring but we know what we like and where best to go.

Also we camp in UK at Litton Lawns (Hants), May see you there sometime, to chat!

Ian

NO FEAR IN GOING ABROAD, MY WIFE DRIVES ALL THE WAY! MOTTO IS, KERB ON THE RIGHT!

tonyg3nwl - 2018-02-21 10:21 PM

Just one other possibility is that we meet up with similar couple, who could provide mutual backup in even of worst case happening., and would be travelling to same destination at same time...

tonyg3nwl

My worry also , about being stranded.

I have just renewed the insurance on MH. As I (not OH) am the insurer , with OH being added driver. I asked the question that would I be expected to drive van home , should anything happen to him. I explained that I have never driven "on the wrong side of the road" , and was told that I would not be made to drive the van home!! If this happened , I could arrange to have one of our son's come over and drive us back to Uk , if we where not transported back.

I enquired about changing to Oh being the insured ,and leaving me off, but was told would have to start a new policy. Decided that as this is most likely our last year, would leave it as is.

Tony would could always meet up, and arrange to travel to-gether

PJay

Archived