How do you clean your reversing camera?

michaelmorris

I've just finished fitting a reversing camera to the back of our coachbuilt motorhome. As recommended, it is set high up. Unfortunately this now leaves me with a problem - how do I clean the camera lens?

The lens is about 30cm beyond my reach. I could of course just get out our steps, but this is a bit of a faff.

I was thinking about just buying a cheap foam paint brush and extending the handle with a piece of plastic pipe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182987942872?var=690297237288

What does everyone else use for cleaning their high up reversing camera lens?

Thanks

I get my step ladders out and a Microfibre cloth so I can clean the camera in accordance with the manufacturers instructions which say, "Clean the camera with a soft, damp cloth from time to time." It also says, "Do not use any sharp or hard objects for cleaning since they may damage the device." I can reach it with a long handled soft brush but it's a bit clumsy that way and there's a good chance I'll give it a whack.

Cameras are too expensive to take chances.

We still use a "step" to get into the motorhome and that gives sufficient reach. 

The camera should be inside a sealed box, so you won't get anywhere near the lens. 

The bit you want to clean will simply be a glass screen and it will get covered in road film & crud especially in the wet with the swirling back pressure. So I wouldn't worry too much about what you wipe it with.

I simply use an old T-towell or kitchen tissue - you could easily attach some to your plastic pipe.

Archived