Drastic rethink: Algarve out; East Spain in . Comments?

snowie

Prospects of rain and bad weather until 13March, whichever weather app we choose.

Seriously considering Valencia area rather than sit around waiting and moaning.

At moment at Alford and very wet and windy.

Any comments or advice welcome

Regards, Snowie

Long range forecasts are not that reliable. I'd simply make a plan B, proceed as intended, and adopt plan B if forecasts nearer the time bear out the present long range prediction. You have a van, van has wheels, wheels take you where you decide to go - even at a hours notice! :-D

Well it's blowing a gale and p...ing down here, even hailstones, not pleasant at all. Yesterday we had a mini tornado that did damage to the airport and marina in Faro. According to the forecast its here for this and next week as well.

I am a follower of F1 and apparently testing in Barcelona was scrubbed yesterday due to bad weather, that's not too far from Valencia, I thinks it's difficult to find anywhere at the moment, mind you I'm glad I am not in England (lol)

Brian Kirby - 2018-03-01 12:01 PM

Long range forecasts are not that reliable. I'd simply make a plan B, proceed as intended, and adopt plan B if forecasts nearer the time bear out the present long range prediction. You have a van, van has wheels, wheels take you where you decide to go - even at a hours notice! :-D

This is plan B Brian, we are in Alvarez, but it’s not a place to sit it out!

I think we’ll get the wheels rolling tomorrow!

I’m surprised there are long range forecasts as far as mid March, and reliability is a question, but moving to Armacao do Perla just tinkering/ sticking with planA

Thanks for opinion, Snowie

Barcobird - 2018-03-01 12:01 PM

I am a follower of F1 and apparently testing in Barcelona was scrubbed yesterday due to bad weather, that's not too far from Valencia, I thinks it's difficult to find anywhere at the moment, mind you I'm glad I am not in England (lol)

Me too Barcobird, , not at all sure about halos!

We reckon it’s worth a go, sitting in van whilst it’s moving beats just sitting in it and waiting.

Faro not far away, we were thinking of Cadiz and a trip to Morocco for day trip, but may have shelved that.

Valencia area was nice last time so heading that way.

Apologies for predictive text mods to my submission

Regards, Snowie

Brian Kirby - 2018-03-01 12:25 PM

You said Alford, not Alvarez! :-D

Apologies, my proofreader was busy planning a route.

And even that’s not right! We are in ALVOR, (not shouting) been in Portugal for about a week.

Cheers, Snowie

laimeduck - 2018-03-01 12:42 PMThis is a picture of Sanissac near Sumene this morning.
40 miles from Montpelier South of France.
30cm snow in last 24 hrs.

Maybe it's your forum name Alan?

Jeremy

Looks like we may be playing dodge the snowflakes!Regards, Snowie!

snowie - 2018-03-01 12:35 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-03-01 12:25 PM

You said Alford, not Alvarez! :-D

Apologies, my proofreader was busy planning a route.

And even that’s not right! We are in ALVOR, (not shouting) been in Portugal for about a week.

Cheers, Snowie

Just looked at a Europe wide 10 day forecast, and frankly, it's not looking good anywhere! Around Barcelona looked better than most of Spain for Friday, but it isn't forecast to hold. Portugal and France also looking poor. At least Jeremy's snow is pretty, as long as his gas holds out! :-D

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-03-01 11:37 AM

Prospects of rain and bad weather until 13March, whichever weather app we choose.

Seriously considering Valencia area rather than sit around waiting and moaning.

At moment at Alford and very wet and windy.

Any comments or advice welcome

Regards, Snowie

I hope your planning on wild camping? :-S .........

No snow though or arctic blast :D ........

Hi Snowie

We have friends who live just north of Valencia in a village called Olocau. They have a mini climate there so that whenever it appears horrible elsewhere they get reasonable weather.

There is a camper stop a couple of miles away at Betera, this is very good with most facilities you could want. The train to Valencia stops 300 yards away and it is about a 30 minute trip. We can recommend, the site and the area so if you decide to go to the East Coast its a good alternative but cannot guarantee the weather.

Best wishes

Bob

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2018-03-01 2:58 PM

pelmetman - 2018-03-01 1:53 PM

I hope your planning on wild camping? :-S .........

No snow though or arctic blast :D ........

And what does our Wild Traveller David do this chilly weather

I watch BBC news :D .........and open a nicely chilled white Rioja B-) .........

On balance I think I would rather sit in our warm and spacious bungalow than a warm and compact motorhome when the weather is cold wet and windy outside.

But if I really wanted to feel depressed and wishing I were in another land I could always watch BBC news - or turn it off and really relax.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2018-03-01 4:11 PM

On balance I think I would rather sit in our warm and spacious bungalow than a warm and compact motorhome when the weather is cold wet and windy outside.

But if I really wanted to feel depressed and wishing I were in another land I could always watch BBC news - or turn it off and really relax.

Fortunately we now have Cynthia the Carlight for spacious daytime relaxing Rich ;-) ........

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-03-01 4:44 PM

Tracker the more south the better. Like Madeira. I do a drive whit a westfalia admundsen 540d off road to this island.

WOW I'm impressed as I've never yet managed to drive to the island of Madeira - is your van amphibious Monique?

We were in Morocco some years back on the edge of the Sahara in February and it was a very pleasant warm dry and sunny - until we reached Agadir where it was wet cold and windy - so we went back inland!

We are just managing to keep ahead of the beast of the east! Left home in Yorkshire, two days earlier than planned and went straight down to Dover rather than overnight en route. Was going to stop in Canterbury but with threat of heavy snow overnight in Kent decided to stay overnight on Dover front with one other van right next to sign indicating parking for cars only, but worth risk as very cold but little snow. Crossed Tuesday morning and pushed straight onto Honfluer in bright sun but bitterly cold. No water on aire but electricity on so ran heater all night, even so ice on inside of windscreen in morning. Wednesday on to aire at Mont St Michelle where water and electricity both on. Woke this morning to light coating of snow but melted by lunchtime now heavy rain but less cold. Day here tomorrow, then heading down to Royan then Biarritz, yes forecast shows rather wet but temperatures around 15 degrees, certainly better than uk, even if not as good weather wise as further south.

Well we’ve phoned sites near Seville and Granada and pitches available, so maybe problems will start after Granada, but there are options and looks worthwhile.

Will keep posting just in case of use to anyone,

Stay warm (and dry)

Snowie

Archived