Solar Panel and Snow

potus4388

My solar panel is currently covered in snow and in fact, it is still snowing heavily here. I would have thought that because of this, it would not be charging my batteries, however, I have just checked the solar controller and the lights seem to indicate that my leisure andvehicle battery are indeed charging, would this normally be the case?

I have had no previous experience of solar panels in the winter and would appreciate any comments.

Many thanks.

Snow can reduce the amount of light reaching the Silicon Cells, to what extent will depend on the depth of snow and the size of the snow flake!!

Noticed on the rooflight in the house that fine snow seems to compact more reducing light transmission as opposed to large flakes which seems to give the snow are more open appearance.

If you have an MPPT Solar regulator it is likely to be more effective, but not sure the charge would be much, even with a thin layer of snow?

At 4.49 pm you had just checked your solar controller and the leisure battery was charging! The sun was out! It's now 6.42 pm and the sun has gone, it's night! What does your solar controller read now?

Is your controller showing the voltage or a LED indicating the panel is producing charge?

If the later they will show the panel working which is true, but it might only be a low voltage, say 5v, which will not be charging. Or to put it another way, a green light will indicate anything over 0v, but will only charge your batteries when the output is over the battery voltage.

Whenever our 100 watt panel has had snow cover on it, the effective measured current output has been zero.

I have monitored our panel(s) over 10 years and whilst I have seen output voltages (under 12 volts) when parked near street lights and even the full moon, I have never seen any current worth having under those conditions.

When the panel has been blanketed with anything over half an inch of snow; no matter how bright the sun at the time, there has never been any current worth having..

Hi, it's ironic I spotted your posting. On my own previous one I stated I'd just cleared about 8" of snow off the top of my van. I've got two 80watt panels on mine which are wired in parallel and then go to a duel regulator to feed two 100amp leisure and the engine battery.

Normally on a fairly sunny/cloudy day at this time of the year all three batteries are usually reading about 13.8 to 14 volts or there about but I do leave the alarm on which takes a fair bit from the engine battery. But after cleaning all that snow off the roof the sargent panel showed all three of them at 15volts and both lights on the regulator were flashing to show they were fully charged.

How does that work out?

Went out to check tbe situation this morning after a lot of falling snow during the night.

The dual charger was flashing slowly on both lights(as it does normally at night when there is no charge going into both batteries) I went up on the ladders and cleared the snow off the solar panel, not easy as it was a mixture of deep snow and freezing rain, checked the controller again and both lights now showing a sready green indicating batteries are charging. I can't tell the charge rate as my dual controller does not show that, but all seems to be OK.

Many thanks for your comments.

What controller have you got? As I posted above a green light on all the controllers I've had doesn't indicate they are charging, it indicates the panel is producing greater than 0v. To check this put a voltage meter across the inlet connections to controller just before sunset.

potus4388 - 2018-03-02 12:06 PM

Message for Colin

I have a Sunshine Solar dual controller which has always, so far, worked well.

I do not have a voltage meter.

If i'm looking at right charge controller.

Odds are the LED when steady only indicates the panel is producing above 0v and when it goes to rapid flashing it is producing nothing, the only way to check is by putting a meter across the input terminals when the panel is covered with snow or the sun is setting.

I'm not sure I've seen a charge controller before with just the one LED to indicate panel output and battery charging,

Archived