Why is it ?

Will86

That the occasional M/H user first buys a model that suits their needs. Then they attempt to clutter up what starts out as a good vehicle into something that causes multiple problems (according to their views). On today's forums there are two such posts running that appear to have no answers to their queries yet they persist in continuing to think they know better that the manufacturer.

There will always be gifted additives and additions to solve anything from medicines to motor vehicles. That's the way life is yet these problems 'so called' keep arising to tempt us to offer cash with little demonstrated proof that they actually improve our lot.

My view has always been to buy it as it is and don't meddle with it further. Its never failed me yet.

And this works with a marriage too !

Some people have little desire to alter or improve a van and enjoy it as it is.

Others have no problem finding improvements to suit their own style of holidaying in what is all too often a design compromised by the converters lack of ability, imagination, practical experience and budget and good luck to them all.

May everyone long continue to enjoy their van in whatever way suits them best and if drawing on the experience of others helps them make improvements that is good for everyone and exactly what a forum is for.

Rich, may I say that you have totally hit the nail on the head. My thoughts are that I feel the thread creator fails to appreciate that there are many motivations for why peope do things. Criticising people when they are not really affecting anyone else is unnecessary.

I guess the adverse comments are because I'm such a meticulous planner that I don't get into errors along the way.

I like it right first time and all the time, its the way I tick and the way I conducted my business over 45 years.

So, would that include additions like full air suspension which makes for a much more comfortable ride and better safety including braking and steering Also.by having this fitted I'm now able to uprate my van to 4000kg if I wish whereas before I was told the van couldn't be uprated at all.

Will86 - 2018-03-03 6:58 PM

I guess the adverse comments are because I'm such a meticulous planner that I don't get into errors along the way.

It's not about errors, it's about recognising and developing evolution as standards and availability change and anyone who fails to evolve will follow the dinosaurs into oblivion!

But if you know the ideal van perfect for any and everyone and never needing any changes to any aspect please let us all into your little secret!!

Not so much adverse comments, more a different perspective.

I like it right first time and all the time, its the way I tick and the way I conducted my business over 45 years.

So do I, but I doubt any of us has found the perfect van that meets every requirement and preference without some degree of compromise. Mine, for example, is pretty much as I would have designed myself but for a couple of niggling points that were not quite as I would have liked. A couple of hours work and a few quid had everything exactly as we wanted, so why not?

Perhaps you are just easily pleased. :D

I have just fitted traps to the waste pipes in my MH that had not been fitted by the "clever" manufacturer. It was not pleasant having a shower with the foul odours coming out of the drain and the sink etc.

In this instance I do know better than the manufacturer and I am not meddling.

sshortcircuit - 2018-03-03 8:17 PM

..................................... In this instance I do know better than the manufacturer and I am not meddling.

I agree. We have never found the perfect van to suit our requirements (and it must be less than £55000). We could of course get a bespoke van built but then you tend to be well over £55000.

Another point - I enjoy fiddling and improving ......

‘The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man adapts the world to himself. All progress therefore depends on the unreasonable man.’

George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Mrs Blaven maintains that I am unreasonable fairly often.

Whilst I love our elderly Autoquest 200, various additions including a swivel on the passenger seat, cruise control, a reversing camera, extra power sockets, a shelf over the habitation door, a bin on the habitation door and an extra flip-up work surface have all made holidaying in our motorhome just that little bit more enjoyable.

A volume manufacturer of a car will have a team of people working on one aspect of the design manufacture and procurement (in some cases a small aspect) of the forthcoming vehicle. The new model cycle may be say five years. Manufacturers will also covertly road test vehicles including testing in harsh environments. Likewise our base vehicles may have an even longer period between redesigns e.g Ducato is 12 years old with an interim refresh at 8 years. So base vehicles are highly reliable in general terms. However manufacturers may introduce problematic modifications along the way as Sevel most likely did with bump stops in 2011, something which they never admitted so I may be completely wrong !!

The model cycle with motorhomes is mostly different with many manufacturers changing at least part of their range each year to accommodate the demands and latest fads of the market. Given the comparatively small design teams and manufacturing resources behind motorhome manufacturers it is hardly surprising that there are problems in this approach including build quality issues (which in some cases is abysmal compared to cars) and consequently that vehicles are not best designed and/or turn out to disappoint.

In that environment it is understandable that people want to change/adapt/ improve.

Will I know nothing of your background but you seem to think like an engineer. In my working life I spent much time in collaboration with engineers and many of them expected the world in general and people in particular to work like machines.

It would be sad if that were so.

Vive la difference !

... I like it right first time and all the time, its the way I tick ....

A kindred spirit :-D Perversely, I'm also a fan of being spontaneous. Many of our best moments on holidays have been the unplanned moments, the chance finds, the hidden treasures.

For instance, we're off the Brittany later this year and the plan is not really have a plan and not to book any sites before we go. We have no particular itinerary other than to explore the culture, history, landscape and wildlife. However, in an attempt to do this successfully and with minimal worry, I'm taking a lot of time planning what we need to take, what our opinions are, what guide books/apps to use and how to do it all on a reasonably tight budget. That way I can relax, knowing all the reasonably foreseeable contingencies have been thought of in advance.

Gone are the days of my father, who like most of his generation, built what they wanted from the base up.

Our first caravan was built from the boat trailer that was based on the rear axle of a burnt out car !

Parrafin cooker, shutters for travelling, Windows carried in a soft bag and put in place when on site.

Will not mention the ablutions!

We are the snowflake generation.

Rgds

Why is it ?

By all means we hope the manufacturer gets it right first time, but

Simply because any production/assemble line can never cater for all individual requirements of their customers.

Cost & flow disruption would mean nobody could afford a highly individualised product, whilst creating huge logistical headaches for any manufacturer. Therefore manufacturer's offer a compromise product with some "commonly requested options" best suited to their market. e.g. special adaptations suitable for a disabled used which vary greatly dependant on VERY individualistic needs, that could NEVER be catered for on production line based manufacture.

Anyone so easily satisfied with a "standard" offering is either lacking imagination of what can be or very easily satified.

And like marriage things evolve and improve over time.

Or maybe Will86 is an old stick in the mud afraid of progress

:D :D

Will86 - 2018-03-03 3:39 PM

That the occasional M/H user first buys a model that suits their needs. Then they attempt to clutter up what starts out as a good vehicle into something that causes multiple problems (according to their views). On today's forums there are two such posts running that appear to have no answers to their queries yet they persist in continuing to think they know better that the manufacturer.

There will always be gifted additives and additions to solve anything from medicines to motor vehicles. That's the way life is yet these problems 'so called' keep arising to tempt us to offer cash with little demonstrated proof that they actually improve our lot.

My view has always been to buy it as it is and don't meddle with it further. Its never failed me yet.

And this works with a marriage too !

Will, you not infrequently remind us that you're older than the rest of us, I assume on the basis that great age brings great wisdom.

The answer to your above question is "Human Nature", which of course give us first the internal combustion engine, and latterly the motorhome.

I view of your great age, and presumed wisdom, I'd have though you'd have known that! :-D

I am a pretty careful planner but found at best you can only buy what someone is prepared to sell.

So, having found by far the best van, we brought it and changed all the halogen bulbs out for LEDs to better support our off EHU camping style.

I don't feel I really screwed up the design and my better half is glad she has what she wants even at another £30 of mods.

Archived