Tube Heaters 40/60w.

gordonaldson

Anyone use these tube heaters in their Motorhomes. One guy with a 60w one says it only costs about £2 a week. In the habitation area the heat would probably get lost, but keep frost away. But I'm looking into fitting/placing one under the seats in-beside the main gas water heater, pump and freshwater tank.

I've a facelift 2002/244 Kontiki with double floor and on checking it today finds a thin layer of ice atop water in the tank. Drain system people will say, well I have so to speak by the manual, little flip lever valve on floor. But looking at whole system, pipes rise from tank+heater+pump and go their routes so no definite drain..Intend to fit proper drains in summer but Heater would add heat about interior.

Screwfix have Dimplex ones at about £17 with thermostat. Any ideas.

With most vans you will never guarantee to 100% drain down, but may not be a problem if the water has room to expand. I'm fairy certain our vans plumbing retains some water, but it's survived -16c.

Tube heaters can be useful in areas where other types of electric heater might not be suitable, I use a 40w thermostatic one boxed in with toilet cistern in building with no other heating and it works well,

I used to use one to keep motorbike dry in winter. Bike was under a cover in a damp garage. It did the job, and you may get enough heat out of one to warm an under seat locker up. You certainly won’t get enough for the whole habitation area of a motorhome. Having said that just a word of warning in that they do get very hot to the touch so I would be very cautious of where you put it should you decide to try it in a locker.

gordonaldson - 2018-03-04 11:41 AMAnyone use these tube heaters in their Motorhomes. One guy with a 60w one says it only costs about £2 a week. In the habitation area the heat would probably get lost, but keep frost away. But I'm looking into fitting/placing one under the seats in-beside the main gas water heater, pump and freshwater tank. I've a facelift 2002/244 Kontiki with double floor and on checking it today finds a thin layer of ice atop water in the tank. Drain system people will say, well I have so to speak by the manual, little flip lever valve on floor. But looking at whole system, pipes rise from tank+heater+pump and go their routes so no definite drain..Intend to fit proper drains in summer but Heater would add heat about interior. Screwfix have Dimplex ones at about £17 with thermostat. Any ideas.

If your MH does not have effective drain down arrangements and the remaining water can cause damage if it freezes, then it is clearly desireable to remedy that by fitting extra drains or whatever, as necessary.

But there are downsides to using a heat source to prevent freezing, including making your MH more attractive to rodents for hibernation and the risk of damage to wiring looms etc, so take care not to heat unnecessarily while a MH is in storage.

Archived