Have Used Motorhome Prices Gone Up?

Wasnt Me

According to dealers, they expect used prices to rise by 15% this year.

I part-exd at Christmas and happy with price I got (lost £3k in 4 years) but the dealer then sold my old van within a week for £3k more than I paid for it 4 years previous.

Wasn't Me - 2018-03-04 9:40 AM

Hi all

I have just been looking at used vans as someone asked my advice about buying their first van.

If seems as though prices for used vans have gone up? Is this right?

Puzzled?

New van prices up, in part due to the post Bexit currency devaluation & used prices follow them. Demand is high at the moment & supply is limited, so prices will be high.

Last year, when I p/xed a 4 year old Roller Team T-Line 670 with 22,000 miles showing, the dealer sold it for about £1k less than I had paid for it new. When I changed the Ford Chausson 610 I swapped the RT for for the Fiat version, the base prices had rised 10% in 6 months - while there had been a devaluation of my (then) 6 month old Ford, the bulk of the cost to change was due to the price increase. I don't know what the Ford 610 sold for (it sold without being advertised), but I would be suprised if it had been much less than I paid for it last year, given that a "new" one had gone up 10%.

Happy times for motorhome dealers at the moment.

Nigel B

There seems to be quite a few people either new to the game or moving from tent / caravan to motorhomes / campervans. This has brought a greater demand for cheaper (usually older) vans from those not wanting too great a financial risk but this in turn raises the price.

I've just had a look for examples of my own van. I only found one for sale - a year older than mine, twice the mileage, but the same price as I paid almost 3 years ago.

We sold our van last year and even after brokerage costs we got back what we had paid two years previously.

As the prices of new vans rise so it is inevitable that the prices of used vans will follow especially for those vans deemed desireable.

There also seems to be people that are disillusioned and very wary of the build quality of new vans and with Euro 6 and that too will make good used older vans more desireable.

Surely , it depends on whether you are selling or buying

if you are selling, the dealer wil look at his "book"and no doubt offer the lowest that he thinks you will take, then ask which van you are interested in to buy as a replacement,

that "book"price to buy will be the max he can get if you are mug enough to pay it..if you are lucky , he will quote a "discount"for a quick sale

I made an enquiry at 2 local dealers a few days ago, and for my Stargazer, 2009 model, was Offered 21k and 23 k , but looking on line to try purchasing similar, asking prices are significantly higher..

Trade in value against a similar size van would cost a heck of a lot more if buying new, with extra for vat, and delivery etc.

so if someone were to come along and offer to buy my van, I woud ask for twice the bottom book price, and haggle thereafter...BUT, it is not for sale., so make a better offer.

tonyg3nwl

We swapped vans in September last year.

The dealer where we got the new van said the demand for used MHs was going up with lots of caravanners opting to switch to MHs.

Not sure how true that was but we had good advice and great services.

Its a supply and demand situation. Demand is up so they can start to charge more.

I believe in answer to the post - Yes they have, - but selectively, some vans with some fitments - for example buyers want cab air con and built in sat nav along with cruise control- if your van doesn't have these, I think you are at a disadvantage and the price is discounted - Also auto is in demand, not many vans out there have this option.(and it was a premium option when new).

New vans have clearly gone up in price for 2018 by 10 to 15%, - This is feeding through into the second hand market, and then to the trade in's offered by dealers. It does depend on the cash people have, - new, even "budget vans" are pushing £50k now which is a lot to find.

I am personally not sure how buoyant the M/H market really is, - I have a farmer friend, he always tells us he's having a terrible season, - some seasons more terrible than others, - in fact he's doing pretty well in a tough environment,

It's in the interest of motorhome dealers to talk up the market and tell us how great it is, whatever the reality, we have seen (as in the news section on MMM) a large Motorhome dealer go into liquidation a couple of months ago, and the economy is not as good as it might be, (Carrilion, various Restaurants, Maplin's, etc) are going down. - Not sure that being a Motorhome dealer is as a good place to be right now as they would have you believe, - but then I am a born skeptic.

I have had my 2006 Burstner Tag axle van for 3 years. I have just browsed online and there is a 2009 identical model for sale. It is up for sale at £9,000 more than I paid for mine. 8-)

That is a fair old increase in 3 years 8-) I suppose I will lose very little if I was to sell mine but there again, I will pay a lot more for a replacement. I have been looking at a smaller replacement as I am now 70 but unfortunately, I don't like what I see. There is not much choice for shorter, compact vans amongst newer vehicles (I don't want a panel van conversion).

Motorhome dealers are very clever and deal whit emotion of the buyers. Similar to a car but more emotion. I trade in a chausson for a new burstner. That chausson was 2 years old, delivery time burstner 7 months. He refused to pay the cash for the chausson for the interim period. However he sold the chausson at a price to a new customer afther 2 weeks. Is this common practise in the uk too?

To be honest I have no idea if the price of my van is actually going up at the moment as there are so few for sale it is difficult to judge.

I paid £55k for it in 2014 and I estimate that Vantage might sticker it up at around £50k now based on what I have seen. Mine has the 150 engine and Comfortmatic and this upgrade appears to be very rare so I have no idea what the mark up might be for this. No idea what sort of discount you could haggle off the sticker prices. A new version of my van to the same spec would be around £66k - an increase of 21% in 4 years.

Not sure what it would be worth to me in part ex or private sale but if the £50k dealer price is correct I would guess a trade in might be as low as 15%-20% less or £40-£42k. Not sure about private - maybe £45k at a push or I am being overly optimistic?

To swap for the same van now it could cost me up to £25k which would be a lot in 4 years.

Think I'll hang onto it for another 4 years.

michaelmorris - 2018-03-04 1:41 PM

Out of curiosity I've just had a quick look on Autotrader and our model and year of registration is advertised for pretty much exactly what ours was advertised at nearly 3 years ago. So it looks like yes, secondhand prices are going up.

They've already gone up which may initially seem exciting to those of us already with a van......but all very silly when you realise that next van you are interested in has also increased! How much longer it can go on before the bubble bursts and prices crash out i don't know but UK has long been notorious for silly prices on motorhomes.

A neighbour of mine bought a large super luxury 2 berth Hymer A Class from Germany......and saved himself a fortune.

Bulletguy - 2018-03-08 12:41 AM

michaelmorris - 2018-03-04 1:41 PM

Out of curiosity I've just had a quick look on Autotrader and our model and year of registration is advertised for pretty much exactly what ours was advertised at nearly 3 years ago. So it looks like yes, secondhand prices are going up.

They've already gone up which may initially seem exciting to those of us already with a van......but all very silly when you realise that next van you are interested in has also increased! .

Agreed, just like houses, a rise in prices is only an advantage if you are selling up and not intending to get another one. :-(

Very interesting read thanks.

We bought our 2007 Chausson Flash 09 privately in 2011 for 20k. There are quite a few listed similar now at dealers for the same price I would have expected to pay when I bought ours. Around the 25k Mark.

I thought if I was going to try to sell it I would only get 15k for it. Maybe not.

I think we have a few more years anyway as I don't have another 20k to upgrade.

I have been watching a couple of Hymers with a brokerage go up £4,000 from £29,000 all approx. Figs. One has been for sale since November. The other has a “great deal of interest being show” that was December. So much so that it’s still for sale. Van will only sell for what they are worth and that is decided by the buyer, that’s you and not the dealer. So these two will stay at the Depot as I won’t buy at an inflated price.

Our local dealer seems to be struggling to shift his stock, both old and new, so he now has lots of reduced prices on his vans.

EDIT: Which is quite an interesting fact when you consider that my local dealer appeared in the April-18 Edtion of MMM saying that their vans were flying off the shelves!

Has anybody noticed a sudden rush of sales at their local dealership. Maybe a sales ploy for when the season starts SALE SALE SALE. £5,000 off original price stock clearance, and so on. Surely we have seen this before. If it’s higher priced than last year leave it where it is because if you do buy you are going to take a big hit in your pocket when it’s time to sell. I could have two or three good holidays on the price difference at the moment. Which I may well do if this obsured silly pricing continues which means the industry loses that money

Archived