Redex & Wynn's Diesel.

Ninian

There’s a lot of on-line discussion about putting additives in vehicle fuel, with this recent CMC one relating to Redex

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/tips-for-making-caravanning-touring-cheaper/half-price-redex-at-tesco-in-february-2018/

I’ve been driving long enough to remember when it was common practice to put a shot of Redex in the petrol tank every time one refuelled, and also to dribble Redex into the carburettor to (hopefully!) reduce carbon buildup in the combustion chambers and extend the period between 'decokes’. I stopped doing it in mid-1960.

I used Redex occasionally when I had the 2.8 JTD engine then changed over to 2 Stroke engine oil now and again. This was my own personal choice (to pre empt any off topic arguments beginning). My own view is that any newer engine running on fully synthetic oil probably does not need it but I doubt it will do any harm either.

The good old Redex seems to be helping out many people when their vehicles start cutting out or stalling. Examples are, car starts ok then cuts out during journey or stalls at junctions. Professionals want crank sensor changed, injectors, bypass valves, fuel filters. There are others but haven't got all night.

So obviously it must be fuel pressure in the rail that ECU doesn't like. Often no fault codes thou like in faulty crank sensors. So simply, can Redex cure leaking injectors and pressure valves, well it looks like it but others will shake heads. Can it clear partially blocked fuel filters. Remove stains and evils that stop pressure valves closing fully including injectors. Last one I know about used Redex on someones assumption just to see. Result is after cutting out 3 times his car returned to normal driving.

But is this an end all, well I'd be likely to get the injectors and valves leak tested...As garages do of course.

Just a we rant...

I used to swear by Redex in my days of 'messing around' with engines. Can't really see any advantage of additives for modern day engines though and oil is now so damn expensive without spending yet more money sticking some 'magic' lube in the tank promising to give you a performance boost (it won't!) or add another 10k mileage!

If you want some real fun and mega dirt cheap.....find a friendly chip shop who will flog you his old oil. A 60/40 mix with diesel, adjustable fuel pump, and you save a fortune BUT.......forget it if running any late model diesel engines because they are cluttered up with naff electronics which don't 'like' people who do that sort of thing!

I used it in an old Mk4 direct injection Tranny van (not a camper) and it purred along lovely....until you came to traffic lights with engine idling and a chip shop aroma would waft around! (lol)

Archived