Toilet emptying

rjstyles

Hi all

We are planning to do more off site motor homing this year, just had nice new solar panel fitted :)

I know there are plenty of places in France such as Aires where it is easy to call in an empty the cassette toilet, but what about the UK?

Can anyone share what they do when off grid in the UK? I have read on other websites that some people use public toilets but I always thought you were not supposed to empty chemical waste into a WC.

Regards

I tend not to do much "off-grid" in the UK, but when I have I have generally stayed on a site every third night, which was sufficient to empty what needed emptying and fill what needed filling. I believe the two main clubs will allow you to use their facilities for a modest fee, though I'm not sure whether that is only available to members. Use organic fluid and there are no restrictions on emptying (apart from the obvious). We've used Elsan organic pretty much since it was introduced and find it very effective.

We tend to do less wildcamping these days and use a lot of C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites which are a bit more relaxed than a Club Site. They only offer a water tap and an Elsan emptying point and could suit you as they are like a halfway house between wilding and sites. Like us, you could still do a couple of nights wildcamping in between.

Another vote for fitting a SOG system.

The cassette can then be emptied into any standard toilet or black waste disposal point.

We stopped at a small overnight stop just north of Le Mans earlier this month. Due to ecological controls he had no grey waste or chemical toilet disposal facilities but was quite happy for us to empty our SOG maintained cassette into his earth toilet.

Archived