Is there a motorhome air beam awning over 4.10 metres long?

Matrix Meanderer

Just changed my Adria motorhome for a 2018 Coral Plus 670 SLT.

Lovely MH but it's got a factory fitted 4.5 m Thule Omnistore wind out awning.

This is OK (nice unit) but to enclose both the habitation door and the locker containing the toilet cassette inside the awning I now need to find an air beam (or similar) awning that is 4.10 - 4.50 metres long.

Kampa don't make anything bigger than 4.0 metres long.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a make of awning that is between 4.10 and 4.50 with attachment to the Thule wind out awning at 246 cm off the ground :-S

Thanks

Matrix Meanderer - 2018-03-18 4:17 PM

This is OK (nice unit) but to enclose both the habitation door and the locker containing the toilet cassette inside the awning I now need to find an air beam (or similar) awning that is 4.10 - 4.50 metres long.

Just out of pure curiosity, why do you want the toilet cassette door inside the awning?

It's not the only requirement but Adria have changed the offside locker layout and reduced it to one large locker that includes the toilet cassette compartment/location.

Leaving this locker outside the awning (as we were able to do in the 2015 Coral model, which had a separate toilet cassette locker), results in a maximum Kampa awning size of 2.60 metres. Quite a reduction from the 3.90 metre awning we had on the last MH.

So I'm trying to get as large an awning as possible to replicate the space we previously enjoyed - may not be possible.

PS Anyone want to buy my 2018 Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro? :-D

Outdoor Revolution Movelite range may fit the bill?

A couple of points, if you have an awning with a fixed ground sheet (nice , it stops a lot of draughty) you probably are confined to hard stands, because most campsites require groundsheet stop be lifted every two or three days.

Some sites can be rather restrictive in thier approach to spacing, so having an end fixed awning can make the awning too long for the pitch because it encroaches onto the next pitch.

Air beam awnings can be heavy because they are all one piece. Ours is about 24kg lump, difficult to load, store when travelling. Our Old but trusty Harrison metal frame weighed the same, but came in three or four bags that could be distributed around the mhome.

You don't save a lot of time erecting an air awning, pumping it up, no problem, but you still have to anchor the groundsheet and beam stays which take the time. You will have earnt a beer at the time of the final peg is fixed.

;-)

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2018-03-18 4:59 PM

Outdoor Revolution Movelite range may fit the bill?

A couple of points, if you have an awning with a fixed ground sheet (nice , it stops a lot of draughty) you probably are confined to hard stands, because most campsites require groundsheet stop be lifted every two or three days.

Some sites can be rather restrictive in thier approach to spacing, so having an end fixed awning can make the awning too long for the pitch because it encroaches onto the next pitch.

Air beam awnings can be heavy because they are all one piece. Ours is about 24kg lump, difficult to load, store when travelling. Our Old but trusty Harrison metal frame weighed the same, but came in three or four bags that could be distributed around the mhome.

You don't save a lot of time erecting an air awning, pumping it up, no problem, but you still have to anchor the groundsheet and beam stays which take the time. You will have earnt a beer at the time of the final peg is fixed.

;-)

Rgds

Thanks Tony. We have tried a built in groundsheet in the Vango Kela III but didn't like the "tunnel" link to the motorhome, plus, as you say the CMC staff at a certain site did not allow me to put it up because it overlapped the pitch onto their beautiful grass. This was despite there being many cars parked on the grass. >:-( So a no no on both counts.

The Movelite range looks interesting.

I may go for a 2.60 metre Kampa Motor Rally Air and add on the Conservatory at the Ducato cab end, which will keep me within a 5 metre pitch width.

Pity the MH manufacturers don't give a bit of thought to external locker door locations when they design their shiny new models.

:-D

Have a look at the Kampa site. Their you wii see my burstner fitted whit a kampa air. So a perfect match. Some points to consider is the top connection on the Thule roll out. That can be done in two ways on the roll out O or a permant O rail fitted. Not possible if you have a Led strip their or original bar led. Order also the corner steady L/R, In case of small dogs whit you, there is more work. But that kampa is real extension of camping place. In principal if it crossers your lockers you have did a bad job. Ground pegging is always a job.Do not pull out at a bad windy sites

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-03-19 5:09 PM

Have a look at the Kampa site. Their you wii see my burstner fitted whit a kampa air. So a perfect match. Some points to consider is the top connection on the Thule roll out. That can be done in two ways on the roll out O or a permant O rail fitted. Not possible if you have a Led strip their or original bar led. Order also the corner steady L/R, In case of small dogs whit you, there is more work. But that kampa is real extension of camping place. In principal if it crossers your lockers you have did a bad job. Ground pegging is always a job.Do not pull out at a bad windy sites

Thanks but please note that Kampa do not make any motorhome awnings longer than 4.00 metres.

I am looking for an awning which is 4.10 to 4.5 metres long.

The Outdoor Revolution Esprit 420 Pro looks the best choice at the moment. :-S

Hello Ian

I have a 2016 Adria Coral 670 SLT and it's only cosmetic changes to your own spec of the 2018 model, apart from the offside locker door. I was looking at an air beam awning, but it wasn't to be. You see it's not the length of the awning but the height of the fixed point from the ground. The Adria Coral 670 SLT is too low for the current air beam awnings on sale. Sorry. I looked at the Kampa Motor Rally Air awning but the water on the top would just run back to the motorhome and not look very good. We looked at possible resolutions and the only way to make things work was to drive the motorhome up onto blocks. Until Kampa produce an awning of lower height proportions we Adria Coral 670 SLT owners are stuffed!

Our solution was to buy a privacy room; Yes a little longer to erect but you can just partially erect, with perhaps the front and one side; much better for short stays etc.

Good luck

Contact Kampa and ask them to produce a shorter height Kampa Motor Rally Air. It's only 10cm but that makes a big difference to what looks good and what looks crap.

Wilf - 2018-03-23 7:54 PM

Hello Ian

I have a 2016 Adria Coral 670 SLT and it's only cosmetic changes to your own spec of the 2018 model, apart from the offside locker door. I was looking at an air beam awning, but it wasn't to be. You see it's not the length of the awning but the height of the fixed point from the ground. The Adria Coral 670 SLT is too low for the current air beam awnings on sale. Sorry. I looked at the Kampa Motor Rally Air awning but the water on the top would just run back to the motorhome and not look very good. We looked at possible resolutions and the only way to make things work was to drive the motorhome up onto blocks. Until Kampa produce an awning of lower height proportions we Adria Coral 670 SLT owners are stuffed!

Our solution was to buy a privacy room; Yes a little longer to erect but you can just partially erect, with perhaps the front and one side; much better for short stays etc.

Good luck

Contact Kampa and ask them to produce a shorter height Kampa Motor Rally Air. It's only 10cm but that makes a big difference to what looks good and what looks crap.

Thanks for your comments Wilf. The 2018 version of the Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro 390 S fitted our 2015 Coral Plus 670 SLT perfectly. Awning box height was well clear of the door and with the insertion of spacing material at the end of the air beams (swimming noodle roll cut to length!) it was a very good fit with no water accumulating on the roof. And the noodle only cost €2 in Spain rather than £21 for three packs of Kampa spacers.

The problem is that the 2018 Coral 670 SLT has a single large offside locker incorporating the toilet cassette compartment and the huge under bed/floor storage. The new 60 cm wide habitation door has also been re positioned slightly, so even with the wind out awning box as far to the rear as possible, it is 4.20 metres from the rear of the locker box to forward of the habitation door.

The floor to Thule awning box fixing point height is 246 cm and there is a 13 cm gap between the top of the door and the bottom of the awning box. So heightwise this 2018 design is OK for the Kampa S range of awnings, its the length which is the problem.

My choice is to either use a Kampa motorhome porch awning 2.60 metres long and just include the habitation door or to enclose both door and locker I'll need a 4.20 metre caravan awning such as the Outdoor Revolution Esprit 420. But this will be a lash up rather than a good fit.

So as we don't need an awning until next winter, we are buying nothing at the moment but keeping an eye open for alternative solutions.

We did try the Fiamma Privacy Room on our previous MH but the 2017 winter winds in Spain dismantled it, so I'm not minded to go down the Thule Privacy room route either, nice though these units are they are not up to Spanish winter weather.

PS anyone want to buy my 2018 Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro S Awning - PM me - sensible offers considered 8-)

Archived