UK's number 1 rag for inaccurate (dishonest) reporting

Bulletguy

Favoured choice of "read" for the Beano boys, The Daily Wail, hits the number 1 slot for dishonest reporting. No surprise there then!

In 2017 the Daily Mail was by far the biggest offender when it came to making up inaccurate content. They had 37 inaccuracy-based complaints against them upheld by the press self-regulator IPSO. That's more than twice as many as the two next worst offenders (the Daily Express and The Sun).

The Daily Mail transgressed the press regulator rules no fewer than 50 times in 2017, making it by far the biggest offender of the year out of the publications monitored by IPSO. The three worst offenders in terms of publishing inaccurate content were sanctioned a total of 70 times between them in 2017, an increase of more than 50 per cent on last year (when they were sanctioned 43 times between them).

Regarding subject matter of articles pulled up for inaccurate content, it was a mixed bag for the Mail although slightly more common themes were Jeremy Corbyn/Labour Party and issues relating to immigration and refugees. There were clearer patterns where the Express was concerned, with nearly half of its inaccurate content relating to the EU/Brexit and a further four concerned with Islam/Muslims. The most common theme of The Sun‘s inaccurate content was Corbyn/Labour..

It's important to bear in mind that these 37 upheld complaints only scratch the surface of the dishonesty and inaccuracy of the mainstream press. IPSO only proceeds with investigations if newspaper content provokes a wave of public complaints. Even if numerous people do complain, it's entirely up to IPSO whether they bother conducting an investigation or not.

Even though the complaints procedure is so inadequate, the number of rulings against inaccurate content paint a concerning picture of a right-wing dominated mediascape where cynical hacks working for billionaire propaganda barons (Jonathan Harmsworth, Rupert Murdoch, the Barclay brothers) consider themselves free to make up reams of inaccurate content, safe in the knowledge that they'll receive little or no punishment, even on the occasions that the toothless press regulator bothers to investigate and proves them to be liars.

Back in 2016 the three worst offenders were also the Daily Mail. Sun, and Express who racked up 43 rulings for inaccurate content between them. In 2017 the total between these three serial offenders has risen to 70, suggesting that the problem of hard-right propaganda rags spewing inaccurate/misleading/dishonest content is getting significantly worse.

In 2016 the Daily Mail racked up 17 rulings against their inaccurate content, but in 2017 a total of 17 adverse rulings was only enough for The Daily Express to secure a distant second place, after the Daily Mail managed to more than double the rulings against them to 37.

These figures suggest that the Daily Mail is by far the most dishonest newspaper in Britain. In fact their deluge of inaccurate, heavily biased, and misleading content was enough for Wikipedia to classify them as an unreliable source, yet millions of people still read this vile and demonstrably dishonest hard-right hate rag.

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/

Bulletguy - 2018-03-19 1:18 AM

Favoured choice of "read" for the Beano boys, The Daily Wail, hits the number 1 slot for dishonest reporting. No surprise there then!

In 2017 the Daily Mail was by far the biggest offender when it came to making up inaccurate content. They had 37 inaccuracy-based complaints against them upheld by the press self-regulator IPSO. That's more than twice as many as the two next worst offenders (the Daily Express and The Sun).

The Daily Mail transgressed the press regulator rules no fewer than 50 times in 2017, making it by far the biggest offender of the year out of the publications monitored by IPSO. The three worst offenders in terms of publishing inaccurate content were sanctioned a total of 70 times between them in 2017, an increase of more than 50 per cent on last year (when they were sanctioned 43 times between them).

Regarding subject matter of articles pulled up for inaccurate content, it was a mixed bag for the Mail although slightly more common themes were Jeremy Corbyn/Labour Party and issues relating to immigration and refugees. There were clearer patterns where the Express was concerned, with nearly half of its inaccurate content relating to the EU/Brexit and a further four concerned with Islam/Muslims. The most common theme of The Sun‘s inaccurate content was Corbyn/Labour..

It's important to bear in mind that these 37 upheld complaints only scratch the surface of the dishonesty and inaccuracy of the mainstream press. IPSO only proceeds with investigations if newspaper content provokes a wave of public complaints. Even if numerous people do complain, it's entirely up to IPSO whether they bother conducting an investigation or not.

Even though the complaints procedure is so inadequate, the number of rulings against inaccurate content paint a concerning picture of a right-wing dominated mediascape where cynical hacks working for billionaire propaganda barons (Jonathan Harmsworth, Rupert Murdoch, the Barclay brothers) consider themselves free to make up reams of inaccurate content, safe in the knowledge that they'll receive little or no punishment, even on the occasions that the toothless press regulator bothers to investigate and proves them to be liars.

Back in 2016 the three worst offenders were also the Daily Mail. Sun, and Express who racked up 43 rulings for inaccurate content between them. In 2017 the total between these three serial offenders has risen to 70, suggesting that the problem of hard-right propaganda rags spewing inaccurate/misleading/dishonest content is getting significantly worse.

In 2016 the Daily Mail racked up 17 rulings against their inaccurate content, but in 2017 a total of 17 adverse rulings was only enough for The Daily Express to secure a distant second place, after the Daily Mail managed to more than double the rulings against them to 37.

These figures suggest that the Daily Mail is by far the most dishonest newspaper in Britain. In fact their deluge of inaccurate, heavily biased, and misleading content was enough for Wikipedia to classify them as an unreliable source, yet millions of people still read this vile and demonstrably dishonest hard-right hate rag.

Yet you don't mind the dishonest head of your party and his top table ... Amazing

antony1969 - 2018-03-19 8:17 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-03-19 8:14 AM

Yet some people still post link after link from it on here. You may as well post links from the real Dandy or Beano.

Maybe even listen to all that false info by Remain types during the referendum again ... That's even funnier

Except a lot of what the remainers are saying is looking like its coming true unlike the Brexit promises that were sold by the Wail to get you to vote out and do their bidding. I have to admit though, they did a good job. Some of the predictions by remain may have been off the mark but thats all they were, predictions. The Brexit promises were more tangible as were the many things promoted by the Mails own Project Fear.

Barryd999 - 2018-03-19 9:15 AM

Yet some people still post link after link from it on here. You may as well post links from the real Dandy or Beano.

Maybe even listen to all that false info by Remain types during the referendum again ... That's even funnier

Except a lot of what the remainers are saying is looking like its coming true unlike the Brexit promises that were sold by the Wail to get you to vote out and do their bidding. I have to admit though, they did a good job. Some of the predictions by remain may have been off the mark but thats all they were, predictions. The Brexit promises were more tangible as were the many things promoted by the Mails own Project Fear.

With that shows how bitter you've become with your argument ... According to you Leave made promises , Remain made predictions ... Says it all for me Barry ... I accept untruths and dodgy predictions were made on both sides just like happens in every election or referendum ... I suppose to admit that somewhat weakens your point you've been making endlessly since you recovered from losing though

antony1969 - 2018-03-19 9:38 AM

With that shows how bitter you've become with your argument ... According to you Leave made promises , Remain made predictions ... Says it all for me Barry ... I accept untruths and dodgy predictions were made on both sides just like happens in every election or referendum ... I suppose to admit that somewhat weakens your point you've been making endlessly since you recovered from losing though

I Fail to see (yet again) why such an observation implies bitterness. The lies from the likes of the Wail have gone on for far longer than the referendum. Their anti EU rhetoric has been going on for years, slowly building up to this moment. There is a big difference between blatant lies and predictions that may or may not come true though.

Barryd999 - 2018-03-19 10:21 AM

Anti EU rhetoric has been going on for years, slowly building up to this moment. There is a big difference between blatant lies and predictions that may or may not come true though.

Agreed, but the way these predictions are often presented by Remoaners is as if they were absolutely certain to happen and these too are blatant lies comparable with the best Brexit porkies.

There is a big difference between a Remainer and a Remoaner and I see a few of both on here - Barry I believe is a Remainer - unlike the likes of 'kin Jon 52 and Bulletbrain who are definitely Remoaners who seem to trawl the web and never miss any opportunity to quote anti Brexit journalistic hypothesis as fact!!

Nobody really yet knows how it will pan out so why not cut out the sensationalist bovine doodah and wait and see - after all it's not as if any of us has any say in what happens so trying to influence each other is rather pointless - apart from the failure to look clever and I doubt that fools anyone.

I Fail to see (yet again) why such an observation implies bitterness. The lies from the likes of the Wail have gone on for far longer than the referendum. Their anti EU rhetoric has been going on for years, slowly building up to this moment. There is a big difference between blatant lies and predictions that may or may not come true though.

Why does it matter that their anti EU rhetoric has been going on for years thats their stance just as The Guardians and Mirrors anti Tory stuff is theirs but that of course doesn't bother ya ... You seem to like the rules to apply to one side but yet swing it for the other ... I agree there is a difference between blatant lies and predictions , trouble is once again your judge and jury when it comes to who's told the lies

Tracker - 2018-03-19 11:18 AM

Anti EU rhetoric has been going on for years, slowly building up to this moment. There is a big difference between blatant lies and predictions that may or may not come true though.

Agreed, but the way these predictions are often presented by Remoaners is as if they were absolutely certain to happen and these too are blatant lies comparable with the best Brexit porkies.

There is a big difference between a Remainer and a Remoaner and I see a few of both on here - Barry I believe is a Remainer - unlike the likes of 'kin Jon 52 and Bulletbrain who are definitely Remoaners who seem to trawl the web and never miss any opportunity to quote anti Brexit journalistic hypothesis as fact!!

Nobody really yet knows how it will pan out so why not cut out the sensationalist bovine doodah and wait and see - after all it's not as if any of us has any say in what happens so trying to influence each other is rather pointless - apart from the failure to look clever and I doubt that fools anyone.

There is a compliment in there if I look hard enough.

Your right to an extent.about how predictions or opposition to Brexit is presented. Perhaps we have all been guilty of that but its also what makes Chatterbox interesting. A new sensational daily headline to get behind or disagree with completely and vociferously.

I disagree with your last comment though completely. Wait and see is a rubbish idea and of course we can influence the outcome if not each other. I Dont do it to look clever. I do it because I passionately and genuinely think its a mistake. What I fail to understand is how so many like minded people can be so far apart on this single issue. The last thing I want to do though is wait and see. Now is exactly the time to influence politics and the Government. I can see why some would wish us not go get involved though, Brexiters have been trying to silence remainers since June 24th.

antony1969 - 2018-03-19 12:42 PM

Why does it matter that their anti EU rhetoric has been going on for years thats their stance just as The Guardians and Mirrors anti Tory stuff is theirs but that of course doesn't bother ya ... You seem to like the rules to apply to one side but yet swing it for the other ... I agree there is a difference between blatant lies and predictions , trouble is once again your judge and jury when it comes to who's told the lies

It matters because we have the most biased and dishonest press in Europe. It's also massively towards the right in terms of saturation and it's way too powerful. Who do you think is really running the country and steering Brexit? Go and read Piers Morgan's book to find out just how powerful the media moguls are.

How am I Judge and jury? These are my opinions. I might express them with a degree of certainty but you are quite capable of telling me they are bollox, you would be wrong of course.

Tracker - 2018-03-19 1:28 PM

Maybe Barry, but how many Govt ministers and Brexit negotiators read this forum, and even if they did how much notice of all the posturing and cut and pastes do you think they would take?

I doubt they will be reading chatterbox Rich. Other forums are available :D

The thing with social media though is its massive and a useful snippet spreads from here to Facebook to digital spy to Twitter and vice versa and they certainly do monitor them. I would kind of agree that it's flogging a dead horse on here trying to convince the hard core Brexiters and true blues that they are about to drive us of a cliff but it's good fun.

Having met quite a lot of journalist over the years, it has long been my conviction that just as Doctors have to swear their Hippocratic oath before they can practice, so I believe that journalists swear a Hippocritical oath, you know, " I swear to tell the truth, the half truth, or nothing like the truth, as long as I get the story ".

Coincidently, why are doctors allowed to practice on us? Wouldn't it be better if they could do the practice elsewhere and not be set free to do things to us, (and be paid a lot of money by us) until they have satisfactorily completed their practice and training.

AGD

Barryd999 - 2018-03-19 2:19 PM

It matters because we have the most biased and dishonest press in Europe. It's also massively towards the right in terms of saturation and it's way too powerful. Who do you think is really running the country and steering Brexit? Go and read Piers Morgan's book to find out just how powerful the media moguls are.

How am I Judge and jury? These are my opinions. I might express them with a degree of certainty but you are quite capable of telling me they are bollox, you would be wrong of course.

Piers Morgan ... Why on earth would I want to read a book by a fella whose time in charge of The Mirror ended because he published disgusting lies about our brave armed forces as well as printing front page vile fake Iraqi torture pictures and by doing so possibly put our brave lads and lasses in danger through fear of being too scared to carry out their duties and being punished later for nothing ... He's hardly got the greatest track but then again that won't bother you as long as he says what you want to hear I suppose ... It matters to you about our supposed dishonest press because you blame The Daily Mail for much of the ills in your life along with that big red bus and those nasty Tories that are secretly doing us in for their own financial gain but then on the other hand you don't mind the corrupt , dishonest EU taking more control of our lives ... As for telling you your opinions are bolox well Ive been trying to tell you that since you lost the neverendum but your opinions just seem to get wilder and wetter and more bitter as time goes on so its proving to be a pointless exercise

soarer - 2018-03-19 7:52 AM

Not much of a shock though is it ??

No shock at all.........but as you can see it 'upsets' Beano readers who love the xenophobic screechy headers The Wail runs with and what they see as 'reputable reporting'! *-)

Despite the IPSO detailing each case investigated, Wail worshippers prefer to bury their heads and blunder blindly on.....in fact i doubt any of 'em have even looked at that link!! ;-)

280136380_IPSOCHART.JPG.1c49efbcddccffcfc481e9185233883d.JPG

antony1969 - 2018-03-19 3:23 PM

Piers Morgan ... Why on earth would I want to read a book by a fella whose time in charge of The Mirror ended because he published disgusting lies about our brave armed forces as well as printing front page vile fake Iraqi torture pictures and by doing so possibly put our brave lads and lasses in danger through fear of being too scared to carry out their duties and being punished later for nothing ... He's hardly got the greatest track but then again that won't bother you as long as he says what you want to hear I suppose ... It matters to you about our supposed dishonest press because you blame The Daily Mail for much of the ills in your life along with that big red bus and those nasty Tories that are secretly doing us in for their own financial gain but then on the other hand you don't mind the corrupt , dishonest EU taking more control of our lives ... As for telling you your opinions are bolox well Ive been trying to tell you that since you lost the neverendum but your opinions just seem to get wilder and wetter and more bitter as time goes on so its proving to be a pointless exercise

I cant stand him either but it was in interesting insight into the world of news and the press. Your right about what I think about the likes of the Mail and the hard core self serving Tories though. I dont blame them for all the ills in my life though as I dont have any ills in my life so Im certainly not bitter as I keep telling you. Well not for now at least. As for the EU being more corrupt than those that want to "Take back Control" for their own gains, dont make me laugh. Do you really think the likes of Smug, Davis, Doris and the tycoons that are wagging the dog give a toss about you or me?

Barryd999 - 2018-03-19 4:33 PM

Do you really think the likes of Smug, Davis, Doris and the tycoons that are wagging the dog give a toss about you or me?

Without the need to requote yards of previous ramblings, of course they don't, any more than the beaurocrats in Bruxelles do, or the Loony left labourites in the UK do.

But they do all have one thing in common - they would have you and I believe that they care beyond getting your vote.

Vote = none of the above.

Except for the beaurocrats who nobody elects to make decisions on their own behalf.

I cant stand him either but it was in interesting insight into the world of news and the press. Your right about what I think about the likes of the Mail and the hard core self serving Tories though. I dont blame them for all the ills in my life though as I dont have any ills in my life so Im certainly not bitter as I keep telling you. Well not for now at least. As for the EU being more corrupt than those that want to "Take back Control" for their own gains, dont make me laugh. Do you really think the likes of Smug, Davis, Doris and the tycoons that are wagging the dog give a toss about you or me?

Well if you like reading books by folk ya can't stand I can lend you my Tommy Robinson collection , though that may be a bit too close to the truth for your stomach to deal with ... Im glad you don't blame The Mail etc for all the ills because the crash that you've mentioned before that saw an end to your good times was under a Labour Government wasn't it ... You name Tory politicians and ask if they care about you and me and the answer is no I don't believe they do but do any politicians here or in the EU and if they do name em

I don't know why you bother.......he's off with the fairies waffling about Islamic "intruder drills", white farmers, baseball caps and posting to himself because nobody else will. (lol)(lol)

antony1969 - 2018-03-19 7:46 PM

Well if you like reading books by folk ya can't stand I can lend you my Tommy Robinson collection , though that may be a bit too close to the truth for your stomach to deal with ... Im glad you don't blame The Mail etc for all the ills because the crash that you've mentioned before that saw an end to your good times was under a Labour Government wasn't it ... You name Tory politicians and ask if they care about you and me and the answer is no I don't believe they do but do any politicians here or in the EU and if they do name em

I would read his books. Im open to reading stuff from any side of the political spectrum and often do. Its the only way to get a view of all sides no matter how much you may despise one of them which is partly my point. Its been clear on here that some of you refuse to watch stuff thats been recommended for viewing or read links that you consider biased or left wing but you should really as otherwise YOU are the ones that are only reading or viewing what you want to hear

The 2008 crash saw an end to the good times that is true but only financially but you can hardly blame our government for that and remember right then I was a true blue Tory. I still think there are some good pollys both here and in Europe but your Brexit Gestapo group or whatever they call themselves are really the sh1t at the bottom of the pile. I cant be arsed to name the good uns but just subtract that lot and the rest will seem like saints.

Bulletguy - 2018-03-19 9:27 PM

I don't know why you bother.......he's off with the fairies waffling about Islamic "intruder drills", white farmers, baseball caps and posting to himself because nobody else will. (lol)(lol)

Just knowing you read my stuff when you wake is enough for me fella ... You sleep well Princess and when you wake this afternoon after hiding from the rest of the world you can spend the rest of the day on your own looking and seething at my posts can't ya ... You're living the divorced , families moved away from ya life the rest of us can only dream about xx Must be a beautiful thing

Guest pelmetman

Copy & Pasted from.......

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/the-daily-mail-is-by-far-most-dishonest.html

About the author

I began writing this blog in 2010 in order to express my opinions about current political, social and economic issues. I chose the name Another Angry Voice on the spur of the moment because I thought it sounded good at the time and I had to call it something. I don't believe it is a particularly accurate descriptor, given that ***I strive to to base my arguments on facts and analysis, and to include reliable sources, rather than simply writing emotionally fuelled rants.***

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) ..............

pelmetman - 2018-03-20 8:11 AM

Copy & Pasted from.......

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/the-daily-mail-is-by-far-most-dishonest.html

Actually not entirely.....

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tippling/2018/01/16/stats-daily-mail-far-inaccurate-dishonest-paper-britain/

And i notice you didn't attempt to challenge the IPSO stats which lists each case brought, the newspaper involved, and the outcome. ;-)

Archived