Reversing camera monitor connections advice

spartan3956

I am at present installing a reversing camera into my motorhome which pretty simple to do but i have a question.

The monitor has a feed and negative which are straight forward plus two other leads one is for dimming i assume off the lighting circuit and the other is for when reverse gear is selected.

The reverse gear lead does not really need to be connected for the application as i want it primarily to check on my M/cycle security when towed.

If connected does it over ride the monitor switch and feed current to the monitor turning it on when reverse selected automatically.

The monitor comes with NO installation instructions just marked wires.

Pete

Pete,

Our monitor has two power feed connections, one on all the time the ignition is on for our rear view camera and the other a 'trigger' wire that switches the monitor to a second camera input for close up reversing and is connected to the reversing light switch. When the monitor is turned off and the reverse gear is selected the trigger wire turns the monitor onand switches it to the reversing camera, when you take it out of gear it has a time delay of about 20 secs at which time it reverts to its former state i.e. completely off or rear view camera depending what was happening prior to gear selection.

Don't know if that helps.

Bas

Hi pete, the dimmer wire you mention is intended, as you'd surmised, to be connected to the lighting circuit so as to dim the monitor at night. Personally I never connect it and have had no complaints. The reverse wire should be connected to the reverse light circuit only if you want the system to automatically fire up when you engage reverse. As you intend to use it all the time I would suggest there is no need to connect this wire.

D.

The Camera is now up and running but i have interference on the sound coming from the igniton possibly the control module, Is there a supressor i can use to cut the noise by attaching in the line.

The feed wire ive used is from the socket outlet and the earth from the radio.

Comments would be appreciated

Pete

Its not good practice to use other equipments earth connections as this can, occasionaly cause interference. It is preferable to use a dedicated earth connection direct to the chassis somewhere, there are plenty of places under the dash where you can make a good earth connection. I would also take the power feed directly off the ignition switch to avoid possible interference problems. You haven't said what your motorhome is or what base vehicle/engine type etc, this might be helpful to know.

D.

Dave

Its a Fiat Ducato 2.8 2003 model

I took the earth off the radio as there was a good chance it may have been suppressed.

The socket outlet wire which i connected too was redundant due to rewiring to a non ignition supply for storage battery charging, so i reused it being fused.

I take your points on board im a dab hand at removing most of the dash now.

Pete

Archived