VW T6 campervanner looking to switch to a 2nd hand Hymer

leewilson78

Hi all,

We're a family of three (plans for a 4th), I like the campervan more than the mrs does. We went to view some motorhomes and were blown away.

There we're a lot of interiors we like, we think we need:

1) Fixed bed at the back for the little one(s)

2) Flexible double at the front for me and the mrs

Beyond that, the usual stuff, kitchen, toilet etc.

We both fell in love with the Hymers we saw, loads of character and even the older ones looked great inside.

Looking into it more I realise that my license has a 3.5 ton limit, which would rule out some of the ideal interiors hymers we looked at.

I guess there are a couple of questions:

1) With a 3.5 ton limit, is there a hymer that offers a double or bunk beds in the back and over the cab double? I'd definitely consider upping my license if it would be well worth it.

2) Are there any other motorhomes we should be considering?

Thanks

Lee

No one has replied Lee! Unusual on this forum. So I will have a go.

Hymers are well respected and I own a small 2 berth. Older Hymers can be in good order long after other makes have gone to the breakers yard. So don't rule out the older Hymers. Join the Hymers Owners Group ( HOGS ) on Facebook Groups, they have a lot of knowledge.

There are 4 berths within the 3.5 tonnes, but upgrading your licence to a C1 would widen your choices. If you passed your test before 1st Jan 1997 you will automatically have this included on your licence.

The list of 4 berth Hymers is a long one, and model numbers etc can be confusing. Your problem might be that having identified the right model for you, you then have to find one for sale, and that can be a long search. Far better to just have a look at what is for sale, go and have a look and see if it suits.

Ebay is good for looking and finding what is available, but as always, it is buyer beware. Dealers will have a hefty mark up but will offer some sort of warranty. Always get a habitation report and vehicle inspection done, it might cost a few bob but will give some reassurance.

Hope it helps,

H

Hymers form part of a larger group which includes some other motorhome brands.

Have a look at the link to get some ideas.

http://www.erwinhymergroup.com/marken/?lang=en

The advice above is good though - go and look at lots of different vans and find something that suits your criteria, layout, base van/chassis, weight etc

We went through a similar process and ended up with a Chausson Welcome. We weren't tied to one brand but more to the set-up and chassis and this fitted with what we wanted. We had to wait for a good few months before a van became available though, but it gives you lots of time to assess what you need.

Hi

Autoroller and Chausson offer decent bunk bed motorhomes. You will get more for your money than with a Hymer. We have a 10 year old Flash 09 which is 3850kg but they offer a 03 that is lighter of licence is an issue.

We have 2 kids 10 and 8. The bunk bed layout is perfect for them as it separates them.

Hope this helps

Welcome to the forum.

Apart from the bunk bed idea (good for kids. )Make sure you can fit baby seats. I say this as MH seats are not like cars, and are open on one side ! It sounds like yours is very young, and with a new baby , this will be top priority IMO. Look for a van with good payload, as with young kids, you will most likely carry a lot of "Stuff" Probably a garage would make sense ? Overcab bed gives you space, remember you need space internally when it rains!

As mentioned , don't stick to one make, the lay will be most important

PJay

Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely start considering other brands, the point about the layout coming first makes sense.

I spoke to my local hymer dealer today, the one we felt was perfect was just over the 3.5 limit, he mentioned that he could downplate it but that it would leave just 300kg of payload. I was thinking we could try that, if it doesn't work out it would give me time to up my license and then have it put back (at a cost of course).

Thanks for the feedback so far, I think being open minded about brands is a good one. I do tend to be a brand snob, as you can tell by the VW, I suppose the benefit is that they are easier to sell on, obviously shouldn't be the primary reason for buying though.

Thanks

Hi Lee

I wouldn't even consider a motorhome (of any brand) with a reduced capacity especially for a family. The manufacturer has chosen the higher MAM vehicle for a reason, i.e. a 3500 kg is not adequate.

I would consider a 300kg payload as inadequate even for a couple intending to use the motorhome for anything other than just weekends.

Although young children won't have a big impact on the payload, the additional paraphernalia they entail, certsinly will. By the time all that & your wife's weight, foodstuffs, clothing, ect is added, it would be very eady to overload, especially when Hymer payoads are calculated with only (IIRC) 20litres of fresh water on board.

You don't necessarily have to go all the way up to a coach built which are usually significantly wider than your VW, you could consider the next size up panel vans ( built mainly on Sevel built vans.

Hymer do a camper van range with elevating roof "Ayers Rock' at 5.4m or the 'Grand Canyon' at 6m, but probably not many 2nd hand ones about.

Wildaxe do the same two lengths in the 'Solara' range and as these have been about longer there maybe more available.

Unfortunately there is a whole range of options in panel vans (PVC), just as with coach built- don't rush and perhaps take in some of the shows coming up.

I will do the opposite of you. go from large to small. Go for a Hymer looks impressive but they have the same laybacks as others and expensive, you pay too much money for the building kit same as a N+B. I like the T6 very much, What conversion did you have. Can you me tell about the infra structure of it. Mine is for sale at 7.54 mtr long. Anyone can drive whit it. Miro 3210 whit a lot of options on alko chassis MTM 3850.

flicka - 2018-03-30 12:41 AM

Hi Lee

I wouldn't even consider a motorhome (of any brand) with a reduced capacity especially for a family. The manufacturer has chosen the higher MAM vehicle for a reason, i.e. a 3500 kg is not adequate.

I would consider a 300kg payload as inadequate even for a couple intending to use the motorhome for anything other than just weekends.

Although young children won't have a big impact on the payload, the additional paraphernalia they entail, certsinly will. By the time all that & your wife's weight, foodstuffs, clothing, ect is added, it would be very eady to overload, especially when Hymer payoads are calculated with only (IIRC) 20litres of fresh water on board.

As this, the 300kg has to take care of your passengers (wife and kids) any accessories you want to add like tv and awning, plus everything you want to carry, it would be tight for 2 people, let alone kids as well.

Hi,

We have a Hymer C524 Classic. It has 2 bunk beds at the back, great for children, but big enough for adults as well, and a massive double above the Cab, as well as a small double made out of the seating area. It is a great layout for the family , and will give you fixed beds which stay made up, which is a massive advantage. Before this we had a VW T4 and it was cramped and we did not use it anywhere near as much.

The van itself is now 11 years old, we have had it for about 3. It is well made and I would recommend it to you.

Have a look at https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-hymer-c-524-on-28td-fiat-ducato/899362

Will

We have just sold our Hymer 572 low profile, it is for sale privately near Chichester/Selsey for about £25k.

We were very happy with it it has 2 single beds a small single made up in the front for a short person.

Our grandaughter was happy to sleep there.

It is a Ford Transit.

We sold it in part exchange with Premier Motorhomes who it appears have sold it on.

Off th wall suggestion !

What about a caravan ? You still have a day vehicle, no so hampered by parking problems, , can return to site with extra space which is always good with young kids. May well be a lot cheaper as you will not loose on the Part of change price.

Also if you load the caravan for travel and site use, you will not have so much stuff in the T6.

It's a choice, I sometimes think about if shmbo was not quite so anti

Rgds

Archived