GP behind Closed Doors Channel 5 – Mental Health

Violet1956

Did anyone watch this programme last night?

The overriding impression I got was that all the patients attending the GPs appeared to get good advice/treatment yet a young man suffering from depression was sent away with a leaflet about talking therapies. Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 45. Can’t help thinking that if this young man had presented with a life threatening physical illness he wouldn’t just be sent away with a leaflet.

No i didn't watch but remember a remark a police officer made in one of the "999 Whats Your Emergency" documentaries who told how years ago they used to get called out to cases involving mental health "maybe once a month.....now it's at least one every shift". As he said, they aren't trained to deal with mental health issues but they have to go.

Apparently the NHS has £350 million a week coming to it though. ;-)

I watched this which i found terribly distressing and listening to first hand accounts from both survivors and witnesses who were first on scene, imagine some of those folk will be psychologically damaged.....possibly for life.

http://www.channel5.com/show/grenfell-tower-minute-by-minute/

Hi,

I don't know whether it counts as mental health, but ....

I fell over in France. "Silly me, I've made my trousers muddy.".

Next morning, blinding head ache. Same for the next three days, then I drove home from a few miles South of St Malo, to Swansea, via Calais and Dover (cheaper and quicker than catching the St Malo ferry. Thirteen hours door to door.)

First morning home, I presented myself to my doctor, told him I had fallen over, and was having severe headaches ever since. Would anyone here like to guess his diagnosis?

He prescribed tablets for high blood pressure.

It was several weeks before I got to see my wife's doctor. She sent me for scans. It was several weeks before the hospital called me. The Radiographer (?) said it would take a couple of weeks for the results to reach my GP.

When we got home, the phone was ringing. "Come to the surgery, NOW!"

A large subdural haematoma. From the Xrays, it looked like I had a hen's egg inside my skull. They drilled a hole (or whatever they do). Relief was instant. My wife phoned to ask if I was out of surgery ... and heard me chatting up the nurses.

And THEN they took my licence off me, got it back in three months.

I tend to mistrust all new doctors, until they have shown themselves worthy.

I thanked my wife's doctor for her care of her patients.

"That's because I'm a bloody old cow!"

"Can I call you an old cow?"

"You'll get a smacked bottom if you do!"

Great, I've found a doctor I can talk to. Wrong! She retired a month later.

Bulletguy - 2018-03-29 3:46 PM

No i didn't watch but remember a remark a police officer made in one of the "999 Whats Your Emergency" documentaries who told how years ago they used to get called out to cases involving mental health "maybe once a month.....now it's at least one every shift". As he said, they aren't trained to deal with mental health issues but they have to go.

I watched this which i found terribly distressing and listening to first hand accounts from both survivors and witnesses who were first on scene, imagine some of those folk will be psychologically damaged.....possibly for life.

Can't bring myself to watch the video BG. I have witnessed the police in action when I was with someone who was having a mental breakdown. They were fantastic.Wish I could say the same for the medical professionals I encountered that day. £350 million is welcome but I wonder whether is will be enough. My son lost a dear friend this year and it makes me so angry that young men are not best served when it comes to the treatment available at present.

Violet1956 - 2018-03-29 7:41 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-03-29 3:46 PM

Can't bring myself to watch the video BG. I have witnessed the police in action when I was with someone who was having a mental breakdown. They were fantastic.Wish I could say the same for the medical professionals I encountered that day. £350 million is welcome but I wonder whether is will be enough. My son lost a dear friend this year and it makes me so angry that young men are not best served when it comes to the treatment available at present.

Mental health care, i imagine is a pretty difficult job. I couldn't do it but then neither could i do a Paramedics job as the first sight of blood would finish me! I'd love to do a blue light drive (who wouldn't?!!) but my only experience of that was as a patient in the back of an Ambulance!

The Grenfell documentary was pretty good despite being distressing. I was in Estonia when it happened but didn't learn about it until a few days later as i was without wi-fi. Heartbreaking stories from many people. Last year Channel 4 news spoke to the parents of this young Italian couple who lost their lives on the 23rd floor. https://www.channel4.com/news/italian-parents-of-grenfell-victim-thank-the-british-people-for-support

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-03-29 9:17 AM

Can’t help thinking that if this young man had presented with a life threatening physical illness he wouldn’t just be sent away with a leaflet.

But they do :-| ........

From my own experience I know doctors are not perfect...... but I also know I'm not perfect either 8-) .....

So I am somewhat reluctant to jump on the doctor bashing train, unlike some of those in your trade Veronica who I'm convinced have greatly exacerbated the problem, by making the medical profession constantly feel the need to be looking over their shoulder, to the exorbitant amounts of cash they suck out of the NHS *-) .......

pelmetman - 2018-03-30 8:08 AM

Can’t help thinking that if this young man had presented with a life threatening physical illness he wouldn’t just be sent away with a leaflet.

From my own experience I know doctors are not perfect...... but I also know I'm not perfect either 8-) .....

So I am somewhat reluctant to jump on the doctor bashing train, unlike some of those in your trade Veronica who I'm convinced have greatly exacerbated the problem, by making the medical profession constantly feel the need to be looking over their shoulder, to the exorbitant amounts of cash they suck out of the NHS *-) .......

I wasn't intending to have a go at doctors or other mental health professionals Dave. I should have been clearer and have expressed myself badly perhaps. They are limited in what they can do by poor provision in the NHS to tackle mental health problems in my view.

I do slightly resent the dig though. As far as I recall I have never made a dig about what you do/have done in the past. In particular I recall lauding pelmets on one thread a while ago ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-03-30 9:45 AM

I wasn't intending to have a go at doctors or other mental health professionals Dave. I should have been clearer and have expressed myself badly perhaps. They are limited in what they can do by poor provision in the NHS to tackle mental health problems in my view.

I do slightly resent the dig though. As far as I recall I have never made a dig about what you do/have done in the past. In particular I recall lauding pelmets on one thread a while ago ;-)

So litigation has been good for the NHS? :-S ...........

Just curious? ;-) ........

Did anyone watch this programme last night?

The overriding impression I got was that all the patients attending the GPs appeared to get good advice/treatment yet a young man suffering from depression was sent away with a leaflet about talking therapies. Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 45. Can’t help thinking that if this young man had presented with a life threatening physical illness he wouldn’t just be sent away with a leaflet.

I didn't watch it but if suicide is now the largest reason for death amongst young men it suggests to me that maybe we are looking at this the wrong way and we should be looking instead at the way people are brought up and the must have environment of making sure that every child has what they want?

This artificially induced childhood, often lacking in any form of discipline or parental control, does little to toughen them up and prepare them for dealing with the harsh realities of the ups and downs of real everyday life.

Not that that excuses the lack of medical care once the problem is identified.

As for emergency care for a life threatening physical illness, a leaflet and paracetamol and sent home is often all you get whereas proper investigation at the time would save the NHS millions in emergency care later.

If you need urgent medical care A&E do tend to take more notice and care if you arrive by 999 ambulance rather then arrive by your own means.

It's not just mental health that lacks focus as the whole NHS is now short term budget led rather than long term needs led.

pelmetman - 2018-03-30 10:20 AM

Violet1956 - 2018-03-30 9:45 AM

So litigation has been good for the NHS? :-S ...........

Just curious? ;-) ........

There's no simple answer to that question. Sometimes bad sometimes good I guess. Bad when they have to pay out huge sums, good when a case shows up failings that are then addressed so as not to harm patients in the future.

I'll ask you a question, do you believe the NHS should be immune from legal action being taken against them for negligence?

Violet1956 - 2018-03-30 11:01 AM

Two edits -sorry- not doing very well this am. Didn't sleep well last night. Allowed daughter to borrow the van...nervous doesn't being to describe how I feel. :-(

Edits are good - shows you care about what you write!!

Nervous is good - shows you care about your van!

Tracker - 2018-03-30 11:47 AM

Violet1956 - 2018-03-30 11:01 AM

Two edits -sorry- not doing very well this am. Didn't sleep well last night. Allowed daughter to borrow the van...nervous doesn't being to describe how I feel. :-(

Edits are good - shows you care about what you write!!

Nervous is good - shows you care about your van!

It's not going well Rich. She rang this morning to say that the kitchen section floor was awash. There's a leak somewhere and OH can't diagnose the cause of it over the phone after checking all the potential problems he can think of and getting her to look over them. She's been told to drain down the whole system and get to a campsite where she can try the damsel in distress card or come home. She's determined to head up to Snowdonia with one of her pals where snow is expected on Sunday (at least we have winter tyres on it). Stress, stress and more stress for me...OH just laughs it off.

I do sympathise Veronica - I refused my son several times in the past when he wanted to borrow the van!

I don't suppose I can help much as I am not as flexible and dextrous as I used to be but if she is anywhere near Evesham I would be happy to have a look and maybe phone you?

Tracker - 2018-03-30 12:02 PM

I do sympathise Veronica - I refused my son several times in the past when he wanted to borrow the van!

I don't suppose I can help much as I am not as flexible and dextrous as I used to be but if she is anywhere near Evesham I would be happy to have a look and maybe phone you?

Kind of you to offer Rich. She's reached Telford now so way out of your area. If worst comes to the worst she can simply use it as transport and check in to a B&B or summat.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-03-30 10:56 AM

I'll ask you a question, do you believe the NHS should be immune from legal action being taken against them for negligence?

Yes B-) .........That's not to say folk shouldn't be compensated for mistakes. I would suggest every NHS regional area should have a panel of experts and lay people who should adjudicate over how much compo should be paid out, with a upper limit set by government.

It'll be a dam sight cheaper than the present scam/scheme ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-03-30 3:25 PM

Violet1956 - 2018-03-30 10:56 AM

Yes B-) .........That's not to say folk shouldn't be compensated for mistakes. I would suggest every NHS regional area should have a panel of experts and lay people who should adjudicate over how much compo should be paid out, with a upper limit set by government.

It'll be a dam sight cheaper than the present scam/scheme ;-) .........

Sounds a good idea but where is the evidence that people have been paid out too much? If you're concerned about lawyer's fees you've got to ask yourself why were they incurred in the first place rather than a settlement reached? Why should there be a government imposed cap on compensation paid to NHS patients? Are you really advocating one law for the rich and another for the poor?

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-03-30 3:59 PM

Are you really advocating one law for the rich and another for the poor?

Nope.....the rules should apply to rich & poor, and they'd get exactly the same amount regardless ;-) ......

With no legal recourse to the lawyering trade B-) ......

pelmetman - 2018-03-30 7:29 PM

Nope.....the rules should apply to rich & poor, and they'd get exactly the same amount regardless ;-) ......

I'm totally with you as far as avoiding unnecessary expenses on legal costs to resolve disputes so long as the interests of justice are served. I don't pretend to have sufficient knowledge of negligence claims against the NHS that would enable me to claim that I have an informed opinion on whether the alternative you propose would be workable, cheaper and at the same time provide legitimate claimants with the right amount of compensation. You appear very bitter about the "lawyering trade" Dave. I do wonder where that stems from. Have you been let down by a lawyer, paid too much for legal services or what?

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-03-30 7:48 PM

Have you been let down by a lawyer, paid too much for legal services or what?

The only time I ended up in court was when a customer refused to pay up :-| .......

I represented myself and I got my money ;-) .........

BTW I don't have a problem with lawyers per se :D .........

Just human right lawyers and ambulance chasers >:-) .........

Who usually give me a reminder why I hate them at least once a week *-) ...........

When I get a phone call about the accident I haven't had >:-( >:-( >:-( ........

Guest pelmetman

I'm totally with you as far as avoiding unnecessary expenses on legal costs to resolve disputes so long as the interests of justice are served.

What does justice have to do with a medical mistake? :-S ........

It's an accident so any payout should be based on the damage done, not who's fault it was :-| ........

Unless it was malicious then obviously that's a criminal matter ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-03-30 8:05 PM

I'm totally with you as far as avoiding unnecessary expenses on legal costs to resolve disputes so long as the interests of justice are served.

It's an accident so any payout should be based on the damage done, not who's fault it was :-| ........

Which like it or not is when a person will most need a lawyer....and a damn good one too. Look at the case of Ian Paterson, the surgeon who butchered hundreds of women carrying out unnecessary mastectomy's in order to fund his high living lifestyle.

Det Chief Supt Mark Payne said at the conclusion of the seven-week trial: “Paterson was a controlling bully, who played God with people’s lives so he could live a luxurious lifestyle.”

Despite warnings from other doctors managers at the Heart of England NHS Trust ignored complaints against him because they “preferred good news to true news”.

Thankfully he got sent down for 20 years.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/28/ian-paterson-charmed-patients-scrimping-treatments-funding-luxury/

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-03-30 8:30 PM

Which like it or not is when a person will most need a lawyer....and a damn good one too. Look at the case of Ian Paterson, the surgeon who butchered hundreds of women carrying out unnecessary mastectomy's in order to fund his high living lifestyle.

Det Chief Supt Mark Payne said at the conclusion of the seven-week trial: “Paterson was a controlling bully, who played God with people’s lives so he could live a luxurious lifestyle.”

Despite warnings from other doctors managers at the Heart of England NHS Trust ignored complaints against him because they “preferred good news to true news”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/28/ian-paterson-charmed-patients-scrimping-treatments-funding-luxury/

A damn good one like this one eh? ;-) ..........

Philip Joseph Shiner was born in a semi-detached home in Coventry on Christmas Day 1956. He was the second of four children of Peter Shiner, a draughtsman, and his wife, Patricia, a teacher.

He started work for a firm dealing with insurance claims but found it dull. He joined a practice focusing on environmental law.

In 1999, shortly before the Human Rights Act came into force, he set up PIL in Birmingham.

He has fought many battles for the Left's celebrated causes, including acting for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.

Shiner forged strong links with ***Matrix Chambers***, the legal home of Cherie Booth QC, the wife of Tony Blair.

In 2004, he was awarded Human Rights Lawyer of the Year by Liberty.

Oh looky looky its that Matrix Chambers again >:-) ...........

Cant say I'm surprised they're connected to such a UK back stabbing piece of sh*te *-) .......

It's just a shame he didn't get sent down for 20 years >:-( ........

pelmetman - 2018-03-30 8:39 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-03-30 8:30 PM

A damn good one like this one eh? ;-) ..........

Philip Joseph Shiner......

No not really. In fact such a poor example to pick it's isn't remotely in the same category as the case i quoted.......but i know why you picked it.

Had your wife been among those mutilated to fund Patersons greed you would have taken a very different view.

Shiner was struck off by the Law Society for professional misconduct and paid a heavy price. Unlike Paterson he didn't butcher anyone through unnecessary life changing and irreversible surgery.

Your problem is you find one bad apple and then assume the entire box has to be rotten. That's never the case.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-03-30 9:19 PM

Your problem is you find one bad apple and then assume the entire box has to be rotten. That's never the case.

76 rotten apples last year alone ;-) ..........

https://www.legalfutures.co.uk/latest-news/significant-rise-number-solicitors-struck-off-tribunal-faces-more-complex-cases

Maybe it was the late frosts :D .........

Archived