TV Licence Inspectors

John52

Has anyone found a COMPLETE video of a TVL visit?

Seems there isn't one.

Since they make contact 800,000 a year this is quite extraordinary, and must reflect a concerted effort not to be filmed, or even identified, as shown ih the earlier clips.

I can only suspect a complete video would confirm there are a number of legal flaws in the way TVL operate, as well as all the bluff and bluster like TV Detector Vans :D

John52 - 2018-03-29 7:11 PM

Interesting short youtube video of TV licence inspectors on the doorstep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDaV7jqM7M

Demanding people let them into their homes whilst refusing to give their names >:-)

I had a quick look at this and I didn't see anyone " demanding " to be let into someone's home - or refusing to identify themselves.

The TV licence is now a bit out of date - and I've no doubt a lot of people haven't got one - but if people really believe they won't be paying for the BBC one way or another they must live in cloud cuckoo land.

How about VAT going up to 21% ?

;-)

malc d - 2018-03-30 11:26 AM

;-)

Or even 23% to pay for the NHS - or 25% to also pay for proper at home medical and social care for the needy, infirm and elderly?

No doubt the media and Corbynites would have a field day moaning but I for one would consider it good vfm - if it actually worked and the extra cash did not just get lost in the black hole of government spending?

I had a quick look at this and I didn't see anyone " demanding " to be let into someone's home - or refusing to identify themselves.

Well try watching it right through. Then you might be qualified to comment on it ;-)

Tories love Vat because its the stealthiest of stealth taxes, and it hits the poorest the hardest. Even the guy living in a cardboard box pays VAT on take away food etc.

How about the billionaire Tory 'newspaper' owners in Her Majesty's Tax Havens paying tax. *-)

A 75 year old £billionaire in a castle full of £billionaires pays nothing.

Wheras a single unemployed person in a one bedroom flat pays the same as a £billion mansion full of wage earners.

If we have to have State media it would be less unfair, and less costly, to fund it from general taxation.

But they won't do that because they would have to drop their pretence that the BBC is independent of the Establishment.

John52 - 2018-03-30 2:53 PM

Tracker - 2018-03-30 11:50 AM

25% to also pay for proper at home medical and social care for the needy, infirm and elderly?

In other words, tax the poor and give it to you. *-)

Absolutely - I really can't think of a better use of tax income than that.

John52 - 2018-03-30 3:24 PM

If we have to have State media it would be less unfair, and less costly, to fund it from general taxation.

Too many people are able to dodge paying " general taxation "

Much harder to avoid paying VAT.

It would be better still to fund the BBC through real advertising than any form of taxation and at least the adverts might be marginally less mind blowingly boring than the BBC's tripe advertising of itself all the time.

Plus that would raise more VAT as everything the leemings bought as a result of the advertising raises more money for us poor old hard done by pensioners.

Abolition of the abnoxious stealth tax that is the TV licence would help the rich much less than it would help the poor where the fee is a far greater proportion of their income.

Just think of all those poor TV licence administators and inspectors out of work that abolishing an entire government department would cause, but the money it would save the taxpayers would be very welcome .

TV Inspectors have a difficult task; gone are the days when the detection equipment could pick up the cathode ray tube emissions of the TV from outside the property, so they need to get in to confirm that there is a TV there - yet they have no rights of entry or search.

Presumably those of the criminal classes who don't want to pay know that and also know how to stand on their rights.

John52 - 2018-03-29 7:11 PM

Interesting short youtube video of TV licence inspectors on the doorstep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDaV7jqM7M

Demanding people let them into their homes whilst refusing to give their names >:-)

The TV licence is now a bit out of date - and I've no doubt a lot of people haven't got one - but if people really believe they won't be paying for the BBC one way or another they must live in cloud cuckoo land.

;-)

Actually Malc it is legally possible.......but you've got to know exactly what you're doing and be well read up on TVL laws/rules.

A few years ago i was in contact with someone on another forum who had done this and he posted up a number of links explaining in detail about what you do.

The main problem caused by 'licence chasers' basically stems from the obscure, though typically British(!!), belief that everyone must own a working television set......the reality is some don't and in a few cases, some never have owned one. A friend of mine hasn't owned a tv set now for the past 15 years yet still get's occasional visits which usually start with, "we note from our records you have no tv licence...".

Since various online players such as iPlayer, My5, OnDemand etc have enabled people to view a selection of programmes, the number of people questioning the need for a licence has risen. Basically the law states if the set is "capable of receiving a transmitted signal" (ie connect to any form of aerial), then you must have a licence.....even if you never watch it!

I considered giving up on my tv licence as the only 'live' transmitted tv i watch is Channel 4 news........and i could watch that via their OnDemand player one hour after the original broadcast has been transmitted. £147 pa seems a lot to pay out just to watch 'live' news and the occasional documentary when i could view them on 'watch again' players!

Eventually i think the licence will go in the same way as the radio licence did and funds will be collected some other way.

StuartO - 2018-03-30 6:01 PM

TV Inspectors have a difficult task;

Oh I dunno. You might not fall for their bluff and bluster, but what about everyone else in your house?

They turn up unnanounced in plain clothing so nobody recognises or is prepared for them.

They get a £20 bonus for each one they catch so pick off the low hanging fruit - TV's visible through the window, people who fall for their devious trick questions, not knowing they can simply refuse to speak to them and refuse them access - apparently even when they are accompanied by a police officer and warrant..

BBC hires a disposable private company (currently Capita) to do their dirty work for them, so they can distance themselves from it and claim ignorance of their methods. Another you-tube video shows a Capita TVL employee connecting an aerial to a disconnected TV >:-)

malc d - 2018-03-30 5:27 PM

Too many people are able to dodge paying " general taxation "

Thanks to Her Majesty's Forces defence of Her Tax Havens, and the Brexit campaign to get out of the EU before they bring in an EU wide tax treaty >:-)

Archived