Foreign Office deletes lying tweet about Porton Down

Bulletguy

StuartO - 2018-04-05 12:52 PM

"Lying" is a powerful word; isn't that why politicians often apologise for "miss-speaking" these days?

Having seen the clip of Boris making the assertion, I suspect he just fluffed his words a bit, in his keeness to nail the Russians as the only credible suspects. As the Minister for Security said, it would be better if the CE of Porton Down had said something like "we can identify the substance chemically but investigation into who it was made by is work for police and intelligence services".

When politicians (and contributors to this forum) grab opportunies to make a mountain out of molehill it does nothing for their credibility in my eyes.

Since removing the damning tweet off their site yesterday (ever wondered why?) stating specifically the nerve agent was "made in Russia", they also called Johnson's statement when asked by a reporter on Deutshce Welle how he could be so certain of it's origin, a "mis-saying", "they (Porton Down) were absolutely categorical, i mean i asked the guy myself are you sure and he said, 'there is no doubt'". A claim since refuted by Gary Aitkenhead, chief executive of the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) at Porton Down.

Sorry but that simply isn't good enough and excusing Johnsons crass statement as just "fluffing words" is lame. At best the public have been misled....and that's being very generous and kind. Since hearing Gary Aitkenhead i view Johnsons statement as an outright lie. Remember we've been down this path before only 15 years ago when information from weapons inspector Dr David Kelly was dismissed with scorn and disdain by UK Gov, anxious to join our American "friends" in regime change. We were fed a pack of lies back then.

The Foreign Secretary and PM made direct allegations to it's source, threw out 23 Russian diplomats, then persuaded other European countries to throw theirs out....in total 150 diplomats expelled.....at a time when they are most needed.

Credibility is an important point. May has pretty much lost that at this moment and needs to work fast on a major damage limitation exercise but If she knows more than what's been said then she'd better come clean damn quick. Dismissing this matter as a "mountain out of a molehill" is tantamount to burying one's head in the sand in the naive hope it will all go away. It won't. It's gone too far now to simply ignore and is an extremely serious matter requiring skilled professional diplomacy....that counts Johnson out and you can also add Gavin Williamson too as both are a pair of clowns unfit for office.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
colin - 2018-04-05 6:56 PM

Funny that a state that had a big hand in electing Chump and getting Brexit is now trying it's best to spread confusion over their act of terrorism and some believe them.

That's Bullet ;-) .......He's taken a few to many Dum Dum's to the head :D ..........

I doubt that any one of us truly understands the great responsibility that rests with those who govern us when dealing with the master strategist that is Putin. You can’t always play with a straight bat when your opponent is wont to tamper with the ball.

colin - 2018-04-05 6:56 PM

Funny that a state that had a big hand in electing Chump and getting Brexit is now trying it's best to spread confusion over their act of terrorism and some believe them.

Believing it to be "a state" is rather over simplifying. Ex-MI6 officer Christopher Steele and his company, Orbis Business Intelligence know plenty about what you mentioned and the US want him to testify in a libel case.....but his lawyers have refused stating it would 'compromise UK national security'. Steele has quite a chequered past from growing up in Yemen to Cambridge University (where MI6 recruited him), working undercover as a "diplomat" in Russia during communism to working with Special Forces in Afghanistan.

Throw in the machinations of Cambridge Analytica (funded by Republican billionaire Mercer), GSR, SCL and Aggregate IQ putting 'democracy' in highly questionable doubt.

Regards Skripal, just keep asking yourself this. He was in custody in 2004 and jailed in 2006 in Russia....released in a east/west spy swap in 2010 when he came to UK. So if Putin wanted him dead he had six years to achieve that with ease on 'home turf' which absolutely nobody, apart from Skripal's family, would have known about......so why take the massive risk of damaging international relations by having him attacked in a foreign country where he's lived for the past eight years?

Disgruntled ex-FSB colleagues of Skripal who viewed him as a traitor, which he was......maybe, but then that still raises question over the origin, source and accessibility of the nerve agent which despite May and Johnsons claims have not been verified....and don't think Russia is the only country on planet earth with the capability of producing it. A scientist who worked on developing Novichok lives in Princeton, USA. State sanctioned by Putin? Nope....i don't buy that for one minute.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-05 9:08 PM

State sanctioned by Putin? Nope....i don't buy that for one minute.

No doubt you don't believe they annexed the Crimea, or shot down the Malaysian airliner? *-) .......

How very New Communist/Labour Party >:-) ..........

Regards Skripal, just keep asking yourself this. He was in custody in 2004 and jailed in 2006 in Russia....released in a east/west spy swap in 2010 when he came to UK. So if Putin wanted him dead he had six years to achieve that with ease on 'home turf' which absolutely nobody, apart from Skripal's family, would have known about......so why take the massive risk of damaging international relations by having him attacked in a foreign country where he's lived for the past eight years?

Skripal was probably just unlucky to have been chosen as the person used to put the frighteners on anyone else thinking of crossing the people who run Russia, and at the same time get the "West" worried about Russia's intentions.

We who are not privy to any intelligence can only speculate about the reason(s) why Mr Skripal and his daughter were targeted and/or by whom. I think it probable that the UK intelligence agencies know all they need to know in order to reach a very firm conclusion about who was behind the attack and the reasons for it. I accept that blind faith in our government and its security forces is not always due but the Russian propaganda machine in all its forms, some of which are not easily identifiable, is hardly a credible source. As for the potential damage to international relations and whether Putin would have worried about that, where has he shown any regard for such damage in the past? He relies on presenting Western governments to the Russian electorate as the enemy responsible for Russia’s woes in order to divert attention from the enemies within who rob them blind, deny them freedom of speech, and kill or imprison political dissidents who are intent on exposing their duplicity.

colin - 2018-04-06 7:48 AM

At the UN Russia was 'doing the usual' trying to distract from the subject, a tactic they use all the time when murdering, shooting down airliners and invading countries.

pelmetman - 2018-04-06 8:15 AM

No doubt you don't believe they annexed the Crimea, or shot down the Malaysian airliner? *-) .......

Let me know when you pair have finished deflecting away from thread topic so we can get back to the issue, but as for "invading countries" Colin, i'll overlook that unfortunate blunder! Folk in glass houses etc!! ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-06 2:41 PM

colin - 2018-04-06 7:48 AM

At the UN Russia was 'doing the usual' trying to distract from the subject, a tactic they use all the time when murdering, shooting down airliners and invading countries.

pelmetman - 2018-04-06 8:15 AM

Let me know when you pair have finished deflecting away from thread topic so we can get back to the issue, but as for "invading countries" Colin, i'll overlook that unfortunate blunder! Folk in glass houses etc!! ;-)

So you're gonna use ancient history to condone Putins annexation of the Crimea?........How very Putin's Puppet (lol) ..........

Well you are a Corbyn voter so we shouldn't be surprised where your loyalties lie should we Comrade? >:-) .......

StuartO - 2018-04-06 9:54 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-06 9:47 AM..... Credibility is an important point.....
I agree. Problem is you are so partisan in your blinkered rants that you haven't got any.

Suggesting i'm being 'so partisan and blinkered' seems quite ironic when you appear to have reached the conclusion already based on the flakiest of evidence that it's Russia! Case closed! Wow!!

I've had the blinkers off ages back.....now take yours off and find some credible answers to the following.

Novichok is more lethal than VX....that's an established fact.

What's described as the 'highest levels' of concentration of Novichok was found in smears on the Skripals front door. That's also been reported as a fact.

The house is in a quiet suburban cul-de-sac.

Handling Novichok is deadly....hence the wearing of hazmat suits we've seen around Salisbury. They are pretty hard to miss.

Someone waddling up to the Skripals house in a hazmat suit would i imagine alert the neighbours. Perhaps they went disguised as a postman? :-S

Putting all that to one side for a moment.....IF someone wanted rid of Skripal so desperately, then a far more effective, and guaranteed method of ensuring that would be doorstep assassination with a handgun and silencer. Single shot to the forehead is enough to kill.

As it is, this nerve agent 'attack' put three people in hospital. Skripals and a police officer, the latter of whom made a miraculous recovery and discharged over a week back. Skripals daughter is conscious and said to be making excellent recovery. Her father has also been taken off the critical list and said to be 'improving rapidly'.

Then there's the matter of the Consultant from the Salisbury hospital who wrote a letter to The Times.

So the bottom line is it's not been very successful at all......other than to send UK Gov into a head spinning finger pointing tizz chucking Russian diplomats out along with persuading Europe (who we are currently in the process of turning our back on!), to chuck their diplomats out too....150 in all though Austria refused.

I feel May has shot from the hip on this one and having the most inept hapless Foreign Secretary hasn't helped matters either. She needs to come up with more credible answers and damn fast too.

Boris is a twit and probably incapable of recalling accurately who it was or what role they had in the investigation who told him there was no doubt the nerve agent used was manufactured in Russia. He’s such an idiot and general blabber gob that he is unfit to serve as our Foreign Secretary.

Is it not possible or even probable that there are intelligence agents who are also employed at Porton Down, one of the most secretive of our government agencies?

Violet1956 - 2018-04-06 4:07 PM

Boris is a twit and probably incapable of recalling accurately who it was or what role they had in the investigation who told him there was no doubt the nerve agent used was manufactured in Russia. He’s such an idiot and general blabber gob that he is unfit to serve as our Foreign Secretary.

Is it not possible or even probable that there are intelligence agents who are also employed at Porton Down, one of the most secretive of our government agencies?

Johnson lied....but his supporters are happy to meekly follow the FO excuse of a "mis-saying" and go along with his twaddle without question.

Whilst Porton Down is understandably secretive, it has a dark history and the case of RAF engineer Ronald Maddison is possibly the worst involving not only PD but UK Government.

Maddison was taking part in a human experiment and had liquid Sarin poured on a "protective" layer of cloth on his arm. Within half an hour 20 year old Maddison was dead. That was in 1953.

A Coroners inquest held in secret because of "national security" recorded death by misadventure. *-)

It took a staggering 51 years before Government grudgingly held their hand up and Maddison's family finally got a "unlawfully killed" verdict passed with the MOD agreeing "gross negligence".

https://www.kent.ac.uk/porton-down-project/PortonMaddisonPage4.html

That gives some idea of how duplicitous Government can be.

Bulletguy - 2018-04-06 4:40 PM

Johnson lied....but his supporters are happy to meekly follow the FO excuse of a "mis-saying" and go along with his twaddle without question.

Whilst Porton Down is understandably secretive, it has a dark history and the case of RAF engineer Ronald Maddison is possibly the worst involving not only PD but UK Government.

Maddison was taking part in a human experiment and had liquid Sarin poured on a "protective" layer of cloth on his arm. Within half an hour 20 year old Maddison was dead. That was in 1953.

A Coroners inquest held in secret because of "national security" recorded death by misadventure. *-)

It took a staggering 51 years before Government grudgingly held their hand up and Maddison's family finally got a "unlawfully killed" verdict passed with the MOD agreeing "gross negligence".

I read something about that too BG in a Wikipedia article. It is indeed a very shady place with a shady past. Nevertheless someone attacked Mr Skripal and his daughter and that's not an invention. I am struggling to believe it possible that despite there being insufficient evidence to pin this on Russia the government has chosen to blame Russia because it has some ulterior motive that suits some hidden agenda. The one suggested by the likes of Mr Williams that this is a good way to divert attention from Brexit by creating an international row with Russia as the target appears particularly preposterous to me.

The reason so many despots gain so much power is because nobody has the balls to stand up to them so let's hope that the UK's actions snowball into real punitive action by many nations against the evil empire and expansionist plans of Vlad the Bad.

Perhaps the deluded souls think that come the revolution they will gain for their loyalty whilst many of us get punished for our perceptions?

"Come the revolution you will be first against the wall - what is your name boy?"

"Don't tell him Bullethead!"

Violet1956 - 2018-04-05 10:50 AM

If the government has acted in the honest a reasonable belief that the Russian state is responsible for the attempted murder I don’t see what the problem is. Proof beyond reasonable doubt is not proof beyond shadow of a doubt though it is often mistakenly believed to be the same.

I also wonder whether the other nations that have expelled Russian diplomats care very much whether there is the proof that critics of the government’s actions say is lacking. It’s possibly in their interests of other countries on a “just in case” basis as a warning to Putin that Russian acts of aggression on foreign soil will be met with a united response from many nations.

Can't disagree with any of this, but the issue seems to have gained high public attention around a lot of the world.

I also agree with this, though it seems that Theresa May, although more careful with her words, is also guilty of making statements that seem to be running ahead of the facts. I wouldn't expect the government to publish information provided to it by the security services, but the mere fact that novichok was invented in Russia, and that Russia has "form" in the field of extra judicial killings, don't of themselves make a case. Strong suspicion is, it seems, about as far as it presently goes.

The risk, it seems to me, is of reputational damage. I think it remains the case that the UK has a wide reputation as a reliable and knowledgeable source of information, and that if we say something, it is highly likely to be a) accurate and b) true.

I very much hope that HMG is staying within the bounds that reputation imposes, but I'm uneasy that they have gone too far, too fast, with their allegations. Personally, I shan't be the tiniest bit surprised if it emerges that, on all the evidence available, the Russian state in some form is behind this attack, but it seems a less than wholly supportable proposition at present. It would be a huge embarrassment, and I think potentially damaging, if the lion that roared turned out the be the lion that merely burped! :-D

Violet1956 - 2018-04-06 4:56 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-06 4:40 PM

I read something about that too BG in a Wikipedia article. It is indeed a very shady place with a shady past. Nevertheless someone attacked Mr Skripal and his daughter and that's not an invention. I am struggling to believe it possible that despite there being insufficient evidence to pin this on Russia the government has chosen to blame Russia because it has some ulterior motive that suits some hidden agenda. The one suggested by the likes of Mr Williams that this is a good way to divert attention from Brexit by creating an international row with Russia as the target appears particularly preposterous to me.

There are too many holes in the entire case for my liking and May's knee jerk reaction has shown complete unprofessionalism......not what i'd expect from a Prime Minister. Irrespective of anyone political persuasion, matters like this need a more open mind than total closure as it's only with that, you can raise question. Brian made a very good point (2nd post in) but typically the context was entirely lost on those with closed minds.

Craig Murray, ex-UK Ambassador to Uzbekistan, his editorials make very interesting reading. I posted links on the 6th post in to the thread. He raises some very interesting points.

Funny how quiet the usually noisy Trump has been over this with barely a pip squeak about it on Twitter. Very unusual for him!

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-06 5:43 PM

The risk, it seems to me, is of reputational damage. I think it remains the case that the UK has a wide reputation as a reliable and knowledgeable source of information, and that if we say something, it is highly likely to be a) accurate and b) true.

I very much hope that HMG is staying within the bounds that reputation imposes, but I'm uneasy that they have gone too far, too fast, with their allegations. Personally, I shan't be the tiniest bit surprised if it emerges that, on all the evidence available, the Russian state in some form is behind this attack, but it seems a less than wholly supportable proposition at present. It would be a huge embarrassment, and I think potentially damaging, if the lion that roared turned out the be the lion that merely burped! :-D

Agree about the risk of reputational damage. Regard Russian state activity, that would have to be sanctioned by Putin......and that direction would possibly be taking us into a declaration of war so i can't see that being the case. Heck we can't even sort Brexit let alone a war! And we now have a PM telling the EU "we must stand together"........but wants a divorce from them!! *-)

As i've previously mentioned, disgruntled ex-FSB colleagues who view Skripal as a traitor (he is).....that's a maybe, but that still raises question over the origin, source and accessibility.

The other point to bear in mind is though Skripal was released eight years ago in a spy swap and came to live here in UK, he was initially described as an ex-agent (so supposedly retired) who worked for British intelligence.....yet a Russian friend who distanced himself from Skripal after finding he was regularly going to the Russian Embassy in London.

What was he going there for? He was supposed to have retired from spying. UK intelligence would certainly have known of his movements.

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-06 5:43 PM

Violet1956 - 2018-04-05 10:50 AM

If the government has acted in the honest a reasonable belief that the Russian state is responsible for the attempted murder I don’t see what the problem is. Proof beyond reasonable doubt is not proof beyond shadow of a doubt though it is often mistakenly believed to be the same.

I also wonder whether the other nations that have expelled Russian diplomats care very much whether there is the proof that critics of the government’s actions say is lacking. It’s possibly in their interests of other countries on a “just in case” basis as a warning to Putin that Russian acts of aggression on foreign soil will be met with a united response from many nations.

Can't disagree with any of this, but the issue seems to have gained high public attention around a lot of the world.

I also agree with this, though it seems that Theresa May, although more careful with her words, is also guilty of making statements that seem to be running ahead of the facts. I wouldn't expect the government to publish information provided to it by the security services, but the mere fact that novichok was invented in Russia, and that Russia has "form" in the field of extra judicial killings, don't of themselves make a case. Strong suspicion is, it seems, about as far as it presently goes.

I see where you are coming from on this. For me there remains a big question mark hanging over TM regarding her competence e.g. the appointment of our boy Boris as Foreign Secretary has been shown to be one of the dodgiest decisions of any PM after the Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe debacle and now this. I still maintain that there are some who want proof beyond shadow of a doubt that the Russian state were behind this when that will never be available.

Gotta go as I've been summoned to Moscow because apparently there's a big cleaning job at hand and my reputation as a reliable and thorough cleaner is renowned worldwide. Apparently the inspectors might be arriving any day soon ;-)

Enjoy your weekend.

Bulletguy - 2018-04-04 2:14 PM

Gary Aitkenhead, chief executive of the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) at Porton Down, told Sky News last night they were not yet able to prove it was made in Russia. Same interview was also on Channel 4 news and it's now spread all over msm. May has totally jumped the gun on this.

He said: "We were able to identify it as novichok, to identify that it was military-grade nerve agent. "We have not identified the precise source, but we have provided the scientific info to Government who have then used a number of other sources to piece together the conclusions you have come to."

Which completely contradicts what Johnson and May have been telling the nation over the past three weeks.

https://news.sky.com/story/porton-down-experts-unable-to-identify-precise-source-of-novichok-that-poisoned-spy-11315387

Today the Foreign Office deleted a tweet saying Porton Down confirmed Salisbury Novichok produced in Russia

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/apr/04/labour-criticises-boris-johnson-over-his-porton-downnovichok-claims-as-opcw-meets-politics-live

The Russian facility that made it has now been identified.

p.s. That should read "Us plebs are now being allowed to know the source", I suspect the security services have know for some time.

colin - 2018-04-06 7:47 PM

I saw that yesterday. Quite what the complete rehash of the article has to do with the crazed headline i have absolutely no idea.........but then it's published by a couple of rag comics so nothing beyond their usual 'standard' of 'investigative journalism'!

Meantime.....back to some factual news. UK has denied Viktoria Skripal a visa to visit her cousin Yulia.

A Home Office spokesman said: “We have refused a visitor visa application from Viktoria Skripal on the grounds that her application did not comply with the immigration rules.”

So come on HO......exactly what part of her application "did not comply"??

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/viktoria-skripal-uk-visa-denied-home-office-sergei-salisbury-visit-hospital-yulia-a8292481.html

https://www.channel4.com/news/sergei-skripal-no-longer-in-critical-condition

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-06 8:20 PM

colin - 2018-04-06 7:47 PM

I saw that yesterday. Quite what the complete rehash of the article has to do with the crazed headline i have absolutely no idea.........but then it's published by a couple of rag comics so nothing beyond their usual 'standard' of 'investigative journalism'!

Meantime.....back to some factual news. UK has denied Viktoria Skripal a visa to visit her cousin Yulia.

A Home Office spokesman said: “We have refused a visitor visa application from Viktoria Skripal on the grounds that her application did not comply with the immigration rules.”

So come on HO......exactly what part of her application "did not comply"??

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/viktoria-skripal-uk-visa-denied-home-office-sergei-salisbury-visit-hospital-yulia-a8292481.html

https://www.channel4.com/news/sergei-skripal-no-longer-in-critical-condition

Comrade Bullet the Putin Puppet :D ..........

I saw a TV program the other day that suggested that it was Putin who was the actual puppet of the Russian Gangsters who are really running the country. Dunno if there is any truth in it but he wasn't even elected President originally, just a stand in. Someone that came from nowhere. So the profile fits.

Whatever, its looking like it did in the 80s again but feels more dangerous to me. It seems pretty obvious that somehow this was the Russians but it would have made more sense to me to show the world undeniable Evidence first before taking action. What was the rush? They didnt seem to give a toss about Alexander Litvinenko and that took years to be properly investigated.

Archived