Towing capacity for Sprinter 316cdi

Ian0354

Can anyone help me please with the maximum towing capacity of a 2000-2006 Mercedes Sprinter 316cdi MWB, or alternatively the gross train weight figure. I have a Rapido A class which shows figures for total weight, axle 1 & axle 2 on the chassis plate but where the PTRA (gross train weight or whatever the latest term might be) should be shown it has the word “inchang” which translates as unchanged so must mean the standard chassis rating.

Thanks,

Ian,

What are the figures quoted on the original MB plate, it is normally on the side of the drivers seat base so may be difficult to find on an A class but, I believe, must remain visible.

Keith.

Edit to add: I've done a quick bit of searching and everything comes back to a Max Train Weight of 6,300 kg for 313CDi and 316CDi T1N Sprinters.

Hope that helps.

Keithl - 2018-04-04 8:42 PM

Ian,

What are the figures quoted on the original MB plate, it is normally on the side of the drivers seat base so may be difficult to find on an A class but, I believe, must remain visible.

Keith.

Thanks for your advice, Keith,

I’ve been right over the moho and can’t find a Mercedes plate anywhere, and nor could the MOT tester last week, hence needing to ask. There’s definitely no plate on either seat base. I’ve just bought a trailer and need this figure to see if it’s feasible to tow our family car although the trailer was primarily bought for towing my classic car.

Ian,

I've just added more info to me earlier reply.

Does your towbar have a plate on it as this will override the VIN plate.

For example IIRC my AutoTrail has a GTW of 6,300 kg with a GVW of 3,800 kg so giving a theoretical Max trailer weight of 2,500 kg BUT the towbar is only plated for 2,000 kg so over rules the VIN plate.

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-04-04 8:56 PM

Ian,

I've just added more info to me earlier reply.

Does your towbar have a plate on it as this will override the VIN plate.

For example IIRC my AutoTrail has a GTW of 6,300 kg with a GVW of 3,800 kg so giving a theoretical Max trailer weight of 2,500 kg BUT the towbar is only plated for 2,000 kg so over rules the VIN plate.

Keith.

Keith,

Thanks again, that’s great. Yes my towbar does have a rating but I wanted to be sure, or as sure as possible, that I had that 2000kg at least on my chassis. Your figure of 3800kg is the same as ours.

Great help - and so fast! ;-)

Archived