Parrots as travelling companions

Tom

As a new motorhome owner I wonder whether anyone has any experience of taking caged birds, in particular parrots, with them on their travels?

No problem with the housing and carriage of our pet but are concerned as to whether the temperature inside a parked van would become excessive. Obviously some of the vents can be left open but does anyone have any tips that might prove useful.

Initially intend to practise our new hobby in UK before venturing abroad which, no doubt, raises other problems we haven't thought about yet.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Tom

Welcome to the nut house!!!

We have 2 dogs who we take with us wherever we go in the motorhome, we've never had a problem with leaving them in the 'van in this country even in the middle of summer, we just put the vents up a little, pull down the blinds on the sun side (use a sun shield for the cab), and make sure they have plenty of water. The only time it was a bit overwhelming was when we were in France a couple of years ago in June and they had a heat wave - 41 degrees!!!

As a parrot originates from a hot country, even it he's never been there, I would think he would not bat an eyelid if it got a bit hot, I would think being too cold would be more of a problem.

Best bet is to give it a try and see how he gets on, he may get an upset tummy when travelling and be ... sick as a parrot!!!!! Sorry, couldn't resist!

One other thing to bear in mind is that parrots can be very noisey (which I'm sure you know!), so where you pitch on a camp site needs careful consideration as you don't want to disturb the neighbours, especially if he knows swear words. *-)

Hi

Ive taken our 20 yrs old cockatiel and his mate the budgie on trips in the uk but never abroad.

What ive found with birds is they get startled by traffic overtaking so we pull the fly screens down.

Unfortunately due to the fact the older bird suffers from travel sickness and throws up on long journeys we only take him on shorter trips. He has never fallen off the perch must have a tremendous grip or just sharp claws.

He has on a number of occasions got me into trouble when he wolf whistled a passing female who thought it was me, have you ever tried to explain it was the bird when he is hidden from view.

The heat doesnt seem to bother them as i keep the van well ventilated.

give it a try in this country ive seen quite a number being taken to MH shows.

Pete

Can't speak for parrots but one of my friends takes their budgie out caravanning every weekend.

It even goes on the longer holidays but never abroad. It must be about ten years old and has never fell off of its perch when travelling. It travels in it's cage in the car and lives in the van when they are parked up on site. It was out every weekend all of this last hot summer and did not appear to suffer. Plenty of water and food always available.

Hi Tom, we take our parrot away with us regularly in theis country, as to taking him abroad, we looked in to it and found out that we would need to put him in to quarantine for one month on return, consequently have not taken him abroad. If you look at the DEFRA web site it will give you all the information you need.

Our parrot loves to travel with us, I always make sure that he is not in any drafts by covering part of his cage if necessary. Always make sure that when you leave him in the van that he is not going to be directly in the sun as it moves around during the day, we tend to pull blinds on one side of van. If you allow him out of his cage make sure that you know what he's up to!! Our's has been known to have a go at kettle lead and atempted other things also. When we are on site and have the safari room up he is more than happy to have the freedom in there. He's a great attraction to children and quite a conversation piece with everyone especially when he draws attention to himself when he starts shouting.

In general he is not treated much different than when we're at home.

Hope that this is of some use to you and your parrot, happy traveling!

Brian,

Thanks for that. It sounds as though we shall be OK as we know she travels well and, although allowed out at home, we would probably not risk it in the van.

Although an attraction to others she is not the friendliest of birds so will have to make up a warning notice for little fingers or keep her out of the way.

You have answered my question regarding temperature and that was my main worry as I imagine it can get very hot on occasion.

We are still planning our first trip away but, hopefully, will give it try over the next two or three weeks.

Thanks

Tom

Brian,

Thanks for that. It sounds as though we shall be OK as we know she travels well and, although allowed out at home, we would probably not risk it in the van.

Although an attraction to others she is not the friendliest of birds so will have to make up a warning notice for little fingers or keep her out of the way.

You have answered my question regarding temperature and that was my main worry as I imagine it can get very hot on occasion.

We are still planning our first trip away but, hopefully, will give it try over the next two or three weeks.

Thanks

Tom

Thanks to everyone for their comments and very swift respones, very impressive. All useful and we intend to give it a try shortly. Hopefully the noise will not keep anyone awake and the bird will behave herself.

Will keep watching to see if any other goods ideas turn up.

Tom

Guest starspirit
Just hope your snoring (and whatever else occurs at night?) won't disturb the poor bird who has to endure the appaling living conditions that we humans impose on ourselves!.

Clive - 2007-01-21 11:16 PM

If you like constant chirping you can always borrow (long term) my mother-in-law!

C.

I know what you mean ... unfortunately my husband takes after her!!!!!

PS - like the photo, much nicer than the undertaker one! (lol)

Nah, the only way it works is for one to be a chatterer and the other not, I've nearly perfected the ancient art of being able to 'tune out' the chattering ... although I do know that this is usually an art form practiced only by men. :-S

• 5 weeks later...

I think you could run into serious problems by venturing abroad with a parrot.

As parrots are deemed to be exotic species, they will be on the banned import list, protected by international laws.

You will need various documents and vets certs to satisfy the Customs folks, here and there !

And there is the requirement for quarantine in UK on retrurn.

I got drawn into such a scenario with daughter's "army" inherited parrot, when posted back to UK. After the quarantine period, glad to see it go to her home

:-S

Then she got posted back to Germany, I had to go through the whole procedure again, in reverse.

German authorities very strict on the regualtions, intially refusing readmitance of the parrot. I told them it was a German parrot, and they refused to believe me, saying parrots were not a natural German species.

After some reassurance of its origins, took parrot back, with a folder full of paperwork for clearances. Had to keep parrot in car all the way, on ferry and on road until new abode reached, for another period of quarantine.

Archived