Oooh er the loony lefty brigade wont like that.........

Guest pelmetman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always good to see your support for a Remainer.

THE EU REFERENDUM

I’m a member of the IN campaign board – my colours are nailed firmly to the mast. I’m not a lunatic Europhile. I’ve got a very simple view about this. Europe’s not perfect. But one of the things nobody seems to remember is, when Britain was great it was part of a great empire.

It wasn’t a little island on its own. It was a big part of the globe, which included people like my grandparents. To me the thing that is great about Britain, and it’s what brought my parents here, it’s that this country has made its way as a leader of alliances. It’s always been a top country among a group of nations.

The people who say, get out of the EU and so on, harking back, need to go back and read our history.

Trevor Phillips, OBE, is chairman of trustees at the Workers’ Educational Association, the UK’s largest voluntary sector provider of adult education.

Ouch again......it's always a good idea to check out the person you're applauding! ;-)

Bulletguy - 2018-04-08 8:23 PM

THE EU REFERENDUM

I’m a member of the IN campaign board – my colours are nailed firmly to the mast. I’m not a lunatic Europhile. I’ve got a very simple view about this. Europe’s not perfect. But one of the things nobody seems to remember is, when Britain was great it was part of a great empire.

It wasn’t a little island on its own. It was a big part of the globe, which included people like my grandparents. To me the thing that is great about Britain, and it’s what brought my parents here, it’s that this country has made its way as a leader of alliances. It’s always been a top country among a group of nations.

The people who say, get out of the EU and so on, harking back, need to go back and read our history.

Trevor Phillips, OBE, is chairman of trustees at the Workers’ Educational Association, the UK’s largest voluntary sector provider of adult education.

Ouch again......it's always a good idea to check out the person you're applauding! ;-)

Why would him being a remainer make any difference to my applauding his common sense words on the subject he's talking about ??? ... Are you that bitter in your life that everything comes down to how folk voted in the referendum regardless of subject ??? ... Obviously ... Bitter man

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 8:29 PM

THE EU REFERENDUM

Why would him being a remainer make any difference to my applauding his common sense words on the subject he's talking about ???

You mentioned Remainer and common sense in one sentence there.........steady on now. ;-)

Bulletguy - 2018-04-08 9:04 PM

THE EU REFERENDUM

Why would him being a remainer make any difference to my applauding his common sense words on the subject he's talking about ???

You mentioned Remainer and common sense in one sentence there.........steady on now. ;-)

Not sure at all why you'd think I'd believe Remainers wouldn't have common sense ... Maybe you can explain ???

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 9:14 PM

THE EU REFERENDUM

Not sure at all why you'd think I'd believe Remainers wouldn't have common sense ... Maybe you can explain ???

When it comes to the referendum i have no need to explain anything as remaining made perfectly common sense to me long before any vote took place. For me my mind was very clear way before.

I shall continue asking where and when this £350m a week to the NHS is though, just as Simon Stevens has suggested. Brexit voters will be held to account over that......and that's just for starters.

Bulletguy - 2018-04-08 9:25 PM

THE EU REFERENDUM

When it comes to the referendum i have no need to explain anything as remaining made perfectly common sense to me long before any vote took place. For me my mind was very clear way before.

I shall continue asking where and when this £350m a week to the NHS is though, just as Simon Stevens has suggested. Brexit voters will be held to account over that......and that's just for starters.

That's a long winded load of nonsense isn't it ??? ... I asked you why you believed I thought Remainers don't have common sense as you had previously insinuated and we get that and sumat about £350 million ... Your original silly jump in without thinking post has made you look a bit daft me thinks

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 9:38 PM

THE EU REFERENDUM

That's a long winded load of nonsense isn't it ??? ... I asked you why you believed I thought Remainers don't have common sense as you had previously insinuated and we get that

The inner working of your mind are not only a mystery to me but i believe also yourself most times!!

..and sumat about £350 million ...

Don't worry....we will keep jogging your convenient short term Brexit memory about that!

Your original silly jump in without thinking post has made you look a bit daft me thinks.

Didn't need thinking about. I know Phillips views and presentations. In fact i linked a documentary he made about one of your favourite subjects........which you refused to watch. Can't think why. ;-)

Bulletguy - 2018-04-08 9:57 PM

THE EU REFERENDUM

That's a long winded load of nonsense isn't it ??? ... I asked you why you believed I thought Remainers don't have common sense as you had previously insinuated and we get that

The inner working of your mind are not only a mystery to me but i believe also yourself most times!!

Don't worry....we will keep jogging your convenient short term Brexit memory about that!

Your original silly jump in without thinking post has made you look a bit daft me thinks.

Didn't need thinking about. I know Phillips views and presentations. In fact i linked a documentary he made about one of your favourite subjects........which you refused to watch. Can't think why. ;-)

Have you been drinking ??? ... Seriously what a load of gibbering tosh

Trevor Philips makes the obvious statement that different areas have different types of crime and criminals which demands different approaches in policing but there is a big question mark over whether “surge” stop and search projects reduce knife or other violent crimes due to a study conducted by the Home Office which is mentioned in this article from the Grauniad.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/mar/17/mass-stop-and-search-police-crime-study

Don’t groan, you are hardly likely to read about the study in the more popular press. It is what it is. The researchers seem to be saying that there could be a base-level of stop and search activity that could help reduce crime but a big increase in stop and search in 2008 didn’t have any discernible effect in reducing knife or other crimes subject of the research.

The police should be more confident about using their stop and search powers now that there is a roll-out of body-worn cameras in the Met. They should be more able to demonstrate that they had a reasonable suspicion and didn’t just stop someone because of the colour of their skin.

BTW Dave 36% of the people of Hackney are “white British” according to the 2011 census.

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 10:26 PM

THE EU REFERENDUM

Have you been drinking ??? ... Seriously what a load of gibbering tosh.

I thought it would be a bit beyond you. You just confirmed it was.

Violet1956 - 2018-04-08 11:10 PM

Trevor Philips makes the obvious statement that different areas have different types of crime and criminals which demands different approaches in policing but there is a big question mark over whether “surge” stop and search projects reduce knife or other violent crimes due to a study conducted by the Home Office which is mentioned in this article from the Grauniad.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/mar/17/mass-stop-and-search-police-crime-study

Don’t groan, you are hardly likely to read about the study in the more popular press. It is what it is. The researchers seem to be saying that there could be a base-level of stop and search activity that could help reduce crime but a big increase in stop and search in 2008 didn’t have any discernible effect in reducing knife or other crimes subject of the research.

The police should be more confident about using their stop and search powers now that there is a roll-out of body-worn cameras in the Met. They should be more able to demonstrate that they had a reasonable suspicion and didn’t just stop someone because of the colour of their skin.

BTW Dave 36% of the people of Hackney are “white British” according to the 2011 census.

You will be lucky to get either of the Beano boys to open the link let alone read it!! Unless it has a snappy xenophobic header they aren't interested. *-)

I cannot figure the mindset of knife carrying youth today. When i was at school all of us had penknives but the most any of us ever did with them was peel apples or whittle sticks. Using one to stick in someone never even entered our heads! Was there scraps/fights? Yes but with fists. We weren't angels by any means. The last school i went to i remember a 4th year lad, Jimmy Bishop.....best described as "a boy with the body of a man". He was huge, well built, and a threatening appearance. Nobody crossed Jimmy....only a fool. But he was no bully boy. He used his presence and build to strut the school grounds on breaks looking for any bully boys picking on the 1st year kids.

This father gave an interview on Channel 4 news last week about his 17 year old son who was set on by a gang of thugs last October and stabbed leaving him critically injured. He was neither with the gang, part of them, or carrying a knife himself. He's now wheelchair bound, partially blind, partially deaf, can't walk or talk and has to be fed through a tube.

https://www.channel4.com/news/the-impact-of-londons-rising-wave-of-violence

Bulletguy - 2018-04-09 12:46 AM

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 10:26 PM

THE EU REFERENDUM

Have you been drinking ??? ... Seriously what a load of gibbering tosh.

I thought it would be a bit beyond you. You just confirmed it was.

Way beyond me ... Dianne Abbott couldn't have put it better than you ... Sweet dreams Princess when you wake another day in hermit paradise awaits xxx

If I remember correctly it's the 2nd time recently that you've added either remain/leave before something when describing someone or somewhere ... It's obviously playing a massive part in your life in needing to know how someone or somewhere voted ... Maybe time to just loosen up a bit and move on ???

Guest pelmetman

So a little over a third were white British in "2011".........What do you reckon that percentage is now in 2018 more or less? ;-) ........

Fancy a bet? :D .........

Guest pelmetman

THE EU REFERENDUM

Eh? :-S ..........The law of averages dictates that not every Remoaner is a raving lunatic like you ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-04-09 8:19 AM

So a little over a third were white British in "2011".........What do you reckon that percentage is now in 2018 more or less? ;-) ........

As it will be three years before we have the answer and we've already waited far too long for the outcome of our earlier wager I think I'll pass on that one. ;-)

Violet1956 - 2018-04-09 8:18 PM

A random google search and I found this. What a man, and what a compelling assessment from someone who has the experience on the front line of policing. The best source of information comes from what people on the front line have to say. It's from January this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lolJaZta6DM

I've seen that clip before. Pretty damning in no uncertain terms and he doesn't mince his words does he?

I look forward with interest to reading how the Tory boys on here attempt to challenge his words.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-04-09 8:28 AM

pelmetman - 2018-04-09 8:19 AM

As it will be three years before we have the answer and we've already waited far too long for the outcome of our earlier wager I think I'll pass on that one. ;-)

"As it will be three years before we have the answer"........Kinda explains why they jump on the legal band wagon dont it???? >:-) ..........

antony1969 - 2018-04-10 5:41 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-10 5:12 PM

Still no response from the Beano boys to your clip Veronica. I think you will be lucky to get a reply from either on this, let alone a logical one! ;-)

One ex met coppers view out of how many thousand met coppers ???

Yet you positively salivated over the word of Cruz as Gods gospel! *-)

Have you listened to anything Peter Kirkham had to say because i get the impression you've ignored what he said otherwise you could have made a more informed and credible opinion which could have been debated.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-11 5:09 PM

Have you listened to anything Peter Kirkham had to say because i get the impression you've ignored what he said otherwise you could have made a more informed and credible opinion which could have been debated.

Who the Feck is Peter Kirkham? 8-) ..........

You'll be quoting Pelmetman as the gospel for the devil next :D ........

Archived