P&O ferry Hull Rotterdam Bike rack

Wirehaired

I already booked the ferry some time ago for September,will take my bike,last time I put the bike in back of van,6m PV, but its not ideal, now I am thinking of buying a bike rack something like the Thule tow ball mounted 2 bike capacity,when I booked I had to declare the length,wonder if when I turn up at the terminal with a bike rack fitted I could have a problem as it would take the length over that 6m,anyone had any experience of this.

cheers Don.

The size you declare should include bike racks, etc, under the sailing contract with P&O. I think the main problem would that having mis-declared the size you would have broken your contract with the carrier and therefore would have no come-back for any damage you might sustain on the crossing. For the extra few quid it will cost I would give them a ring and change the size.

Hi,

I wouldn't risk it
We had a standard Ducato pvc without any towbar and the check in clerk insisted we were more than 6 metres and measured it with his own builders 25 metre measuring tape and despite me showing him the Fiat handbook which states 5.99m. I was furious but he insisted on charging me £25 . After an email to P&O management I got a refund but no apology. That was about five years ago.

Steve

On the Brittany ferries, they ask if you have a bike rack. If you do decide to put one on, then they should accept it, as long as they are informed before. I believe the BF charge for a rack is about £2.00. Not worth the hassle, so best to decale one if you fit it.

PJay

Oh dear, seems I'm a naughty boy then. :$

We've done P&O Dover France five times now. I always "accidentally underestimate" the length of the van and forget to mention the bikes on the bike rack. No-one's ever queried it at the check in but tbh if they did I'd just claim an admin error from SWMBO and pay for the extra length 8-)

Thanks for the info,the £2 isn't very much,first I will have to actually buy the bike rack then we can see the extra length we are talking about,i still have to decide on the type of rack,thinking of going for a towball fitting rather than something that fixes on the back doors.

I always state our length as 6 mtrs, when in fact it is 6.2 plus a folded bike rack!

BUT i also go for over 3 mtr high, as we are slightly over, with a dome ! So I guess that compensates??

I think when they ask Bike rack, they mean with bikes on it. Well that's my interpretation, any way

PJay

Good afternoon ,

On the long crossings which are usually one day day they are much more likely to be strict about dimensions because if everybody lied ,then the last few vehicles would not get on and have to wait another day. On the short crossings I do not think they are as keen. You can alter Brittany ferries crossing s easily on line.

Those of you who tell lies about the length of your van and forget to include a bike rack are selfish and penny pinching and I really hope that one day you all get caught and made to wait for the next ferry as well as being charged the correct rate.

Hello again,

I have booked a crossing with Brittany ferries and some weeks later Mrs Goldi pointed out that the length of the van was 6.3 and not 6.00 m that I had inadvertently stated so I changed online without any cost

Tracker - 2018-04-22 6:54 PM

Those of you who tell lies about the length of your van and forget to include a bike rack are selfish and penny pinching and I really hope that one day you all get caught and made to wait for the next ferry as well as being charged the correct rate.

I doubt if it matters Tracker, but I was thinking exactly that, good on yer,

Snowie

Tracker - 2018-04-22 6:54 PM

It’s beyond belief the risks some people will take just to save a few bob. If your vehicle is badly damaged whilst onboard the carriers insurers will be looking for any excuse to reduce their losses, and misleading statements about your vehicle will be high on their list. The risk/reward equation just doesn’t add up.

ron. - 2018-04-23 10:49 AM

If your vehicle is badly damaged whilst onboard the carriers insurers will be looking for any excuse to reduce their losses, ......

In the case of a ferry, the carrier's liability is severely limited by the Athens Convention anyway (considerably less than the value of most motorhomes).

It's always worthwhile checking whether your own insurance covers you/your vehicle whilst in the course of such transit (most do),

Brittany Ferries advises that

"It is essential that you declare the correct height of your vehicle (including any roofload or rear bicycle carrier) as vehicles over 1.83m in height cannot fit in all areas of the ships' garage space. Our standard length accommodates vehicles up to 5m long (excluding trailers or rear bicycle carriers as these carry a supplement). If your vehicle is longer than 5m please make sure you select the appropriate length when booking.

Correct vehicle details must be declared - failure to do so will incur extra payment or may result in non-shipment.”

Having run a ‘test booking’ for my own 6.5m-long Rapido motorhome, a per-crossing supplement of £10 seems to be applied if I declare that the vehicle has a rear-mounted bike carrier.

Archived