Problem with campervan insurance during storage

carmha

We found the perfect spot to keep our campervan when we're not using it, on a farm just down the road from home. CCTV, gates locked overnight, our campervan and several others stored just behind the farmhouse. We also have a Thatcham category 1 alarm fitted. However our insurance company refuses to insure our van while it is stored there because it isn't a recognised storage site.

Has anyone else had this problem? We've seen lots of campervans kept on unofficial sites, but how do people manage with insurance? Can anyone advise us, and recommend insurance companies for whom this isn't an issue

Have recently re insured our van, went to the usual price comparison websites and I noticed that one (maybe more than that) asked if it was stored on a working or non working farm, I guess this will weed out the firms that will not insure you.

I wonder how these companies go on with folk who have no driveway and have to park their mh at a friends property or park up on the road?

Whilst their enthusiasm to minimise risk level is admirable, it would be nice if the same was applied when it comes to paying out on a claim!

We park our motorhome on the road but some won't cover us because of that but most will just make sure they know this at the start of the conversation, to many time have I spent giving fifteen minutes of details to be told we don't cover vans kept on the road at night, our current premium for a 2015 elddis autoquest 115 is £304.18, fully chomp and protected no claims.

Archived