French aires

360david

After 40 years caravaning in France etc we will be going to France again in May but this time in our new Motorhome. First timer in Motorhome. We aim to stay in the motorhome aires system. Not the rest or fuel ones.

My questions are what is the process . do we just turn up, is there someone there to pay are there any specific rules on using the aires.

All help appreciated

David

There are plenty of Aires books around some are cheap or in French, some are expensive but most of them tell you the basics.

We particularly liked the Vicarious Books books of Aires as they are informative and have pictures as well as generally accurate lat and long coordinates for use in a sat nav - but cheap they are not!

But seeing as how the site fees you will save will more than compensate maybe a really good book is justified?

We preferred having a book to look through as opposed to on the computer info as we could browse it to find the more unusual or scenic locations at any time.

If the on location pay machine instructions were clear we usually paid or if no instructions on site somebody might, or might not, call.

In popular locations and busy periods it really pays to arrive early, sometimes even mid morning can be a bit late on some coastal Aires - to be more sure of a place to park.

Guest pelmetman
360david - 2018-04-25 12:46 PM

After 40 years caravaning in France etc we will be going to France again in May but this time in our new Motorhome. First timer in Motorhome. We aim to stay in the motorhome aires system. Not the rest or fuel ones.

My questions are what is the process . do we just turn up, is there someone there to pay are there any specific rules on using the aires.

All help appreciated

David

Sadly you've missed the halcyon days of Aire'ing for free almost anywhere in France :-( ..........

The one's near the coast have turned into money spinners, and given the choice now'days I'd use a municipal campsite, but they're getting just as rare *-) .........

As for entry you'll rarely find one the same as the last...... of those that employ a barrier system :D ........

It's a bit like the tokens for the water and leccy, we started getting extra's for the next time, thinking we'd eventually have the full set for any aire ;-) ..........

Yeah like that worked (lol) ........

That said it's a great if quirky system...........and you can still find some real gems in amongst the rough B-) .........

P1010069-001.JPG.b4b254e0fc754d90fee248dd772e53aa.JPG

You don't need to pay for water Dave, unless you stay a while, just arrive with a full tank and refill it and empty the waste at a freebie on the way to the next Aire!

It does pay to carry a variety of tap fixings though as some of 'em can be a bit unusual!

That's the beauty of a book, you can browse where to stop next while you stop for a coffee!

What we do is..........

From an Aires guide pick a few sites around how far we want to travel.

Visit the nearest first and if it still exists, there is a space (some only have two dedicated parking places others are huge), and you are happy, then park up. Note - As a rule tables and chairs shouldn't be set out but this depends if they can be seen or not for example behind the MH is usually OK.

If full move on to the next.

If unsure about payment ask next door. If payment is required someone official will turn up early next morning. Some Aires have a card payment meter and barrier to negotiate to get in.

Don't overnight/park in the area for servicing, saw one Brit' MH do this last year.

Enjoy your Hol'

B-)

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2018-04-25 2:09 PM

You don't need to pay for water Dave, unless you stay a while, just arrive with a full tank and refill it and empty the waste at a freebie on the way to the next Aire!

It does pay to carry a variety of tap fixings though as some of 'em can be a bit unusual!

That's the beauty of a book, you can browse where to stop next while you stop for a coffee!

We still know of a few free aires, with free water, free electric, and some with free wifi Rich :D .........

Just need to find one with free wine B-) ..........

Water tip: The water is normally potable but we did get a bad tankful once on an otherwise lovely Aire so we always taste the water before filling the tank.

As a general rule the Aires near main trunk roads and in popular costal places can be over-subscribed and fill up early, so either arrive early yourself and have a Plan B if it turns out to be full.  Aire is more out of the way places are rarely full and are often in nice places - enjoy!

The French word “aire” can be translated into English as “somewhere” - so an “aire de services camping-car” is somewhere where waste-emptying facilities and fresh-water are availeble. Some/all of those capabilities might not be free and parkig space might not be provided there.

The most comprehensive and up-to-date aires-related website is this one

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index.php

and seven categories of ‘aire’ are defined.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2018-04-25 2:30 PM

The most comprehensive and up-to-date aires-related website is this one

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index.php

and seven categories of ‘aire’ are defined.

What no "G" string? :D ........

I'm sure I left it on an aire somewhere??? :-S ........

The general rules are first come first served, if its a pay aire and there is no barrier or ticket machine someone generally calls for the money.

just turn up, find a nice spot and relax. Sometimes there may be restrictions on how long you can stay but nobody ever enforces them. Aires are generally pretty relaxed and very civilised places full of like minded generally responsible motorhomers.

There are some fantastic ones but the trick is not to head for the hot spot aires right in the thick of it. Use www.campingcar-infos.com or https://www.campercontact.com/en/ and see what else is around the area you want to be. Generally the further you are from where ever everyone else wants to be the better the Aire will be. This suits us as we use the scooter to get around on. There are still thousands of free Village and rural aires all over France that are seldom that busy.

There is a new firm that is taking over the control of many popular aires from local councils and installing barriers you need to register for the use of these and they issue a card which you use to access the aire this card can be purchased at the barrier or pre purchased on line I chose to get it on line rather than mess about with trying to buy it at the barrier once you have the card you can also top it up on line I've a feeling that many more councils will be signing up in the future, 4 new in the last week.

https://www.campingcarpark.com

Not exactly an aire but a France Passion Site in the Loire Valley on a vinyard where we were presented with a bottle of wine as a thank you for visiting and staying at his vinyard.

We had free water and overnight parking, an hour's wine tasting with the proprietor, and an amazing discussion on the methods of preventing the vines being damaged in late frosts in halting French and English (his English was as good as my French). Then we bought 3 or was it 6 bottles of his various wines at about 4€ per bottle Now if I could remember which site it was! Excellent value I thought for a great place to stop in the countryside

alan

An alternative to France Passion is "Camping Car d’Hôtes”. I’ve never used this scheme (though I was a member of France Passion for many years) but the website may be of interest.

https://www.campingcardhotes.fr/

Both schemes charge for membership and (generally) the facility to empty waste-water/WCs and refill with fresh water is not offered. For David’s first trip to France as a motorcaravanner, it would probably be best for him to put such schemes on the back-burner.

Witzend mentions the Camping-Car Park” network

https://campingcarpark.com/en/

https://campingcarpark.com/en/faq/

This was set up in 2011 and has expanded quite rapidly in the last few years. Besides incorporating existing campsites, brand new sites have been built (example in link below)

https://campingcarpark.com/en/shop/parking-areas/sainte-suzanne/

A major plus is that the sites are open all year round.

witzend - 2018-04-25 4:52 PM

There is a new firm that is taking over the control of many popular aires from local councils and installing barriers you need to register for the use of these and they issue a card which you use to access the aire this card can be purchased at the barrier or pre purchased on line I chose to get it on line rather than mess about with trying to buy it at the barrier once you have the card you can also top it up on line I've a feeling that many more councils will be signing up in the future, 4 new in the last week.

https://www.campingcarpark.com

Can you say, please, what the general arrangement is nowadays to obtain WI-FI at a Camping-Car Park site?

The website’s FAQ says "– WiFi, access to free Internet via a password-protected WiFi network (find them in the areas list)”.

Most of the site entries in the areas list

https://controle.campingcarpark.com/docs/Camping-Car%20Park's%20areas.pdf

have "Votre adresse e-mail” in the WI-FI column but the actual procedure involved is not detailed.

Archived