Cooking with only a hob

peterjl

Hi

We are looking at changing our motorhome and the one that ticks all our boxes, except the cooking arrangements, has only two hob burners integrated with the sink. No oven and fitting an oven might work but far from ideal.

Now when we are on a campsite with lecky no problem, just use a remoska. But the question is cooking when away from sites and electricity. For instance in the Canaries this year we were away from sites for days at a time as sites are few and far between and the locals don’t use sites much anyway. When in Scandinavia or Scotland we are often away from lecky for days at a time.

Back in the 70’s and 80’s we only had two burners and a grill so we used a dry fry on the hob and managed fine. Even with a young family. This Moho only has two burners. Sooooooo what do you use and what our options. I guess toast is off the menue!

Googling Dry Fry has not helped.

We are still considering this Moho and need to resolve this question if we are to proceed.

Peter

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

We recently purchased a Mr D's slow cooker which effectively is a slow cooker that needs no power after it gets up to temperature. You put it on your hob, when it is hot take it off the hob, close the lid and go aay for 5, 6 7 hours. When you come back the food is both cooked and hot. Ideal if you are going out for the day.

Good luck

Bob

I have tended to prioritise three burner hobs to give that bit extra flexibility, but we rarely use all three. We have no grill, and no oven, and find that our most useful utensil is a high lidded, non-stick lined, skillet, which is extremely versatile. Otherwise, we have a couple of saucepans (actually stock-pots as they have only "D" handles, so take minimal storage space, and a small frying pan. We have travelled with this set-up for the past 13 years, and have ranged far and wide across Europe for periods between 8 and 11 weeks at a time. We use camp sites extensively, and eat in the van about 80% of the time. However, we tend to avoid travelling between November and April, and tend to roam south, so hot three course meals are not a high priority. We just adjust our diet to what is readily available, and most continental bread rules out toast anyway! :-)

Many Globecars as standard have only two burner hobs, on ours we replace the two burner hob with a two burner hob with grill, so we now have the same arrangement we have used for 40 years of camping, we mainly grill chops etc. on the 600plus you might be able to fit a self contained hob in place of top drawer.

We’re adjusting, after 2 MHs with oven and microwave, to having neither. The remoska is brilliant, and we’ve also found we’re making more use of the cadac - particularly the skottel with lid on, to make effectively an oven when off EHU. Also a griddle pan is useful for grilling over gas.

Peter,

Both at home and in the MH we do most of our cooking on a Castey Plancha...

http://www.castey.co.uk/shop/4571205013

You do not need fat or oil and the non-stick surface is the best we have ever experienced.

We bought our first (with metal handles) at a show at the NEC and then another (with red silicon handles) at our local Costco on offer.

http://www.castey.co.uk/shop/4571205020/castey-flat-tray/4191044

http://www.castey.co.uk/shop/4571205020/castey-induction-flat-tray/4319222

We bought our first one from Perfect Pans...

http://www.perfectpans.com/castey-induction-flat-tray-282-p.asp

but they seem to be available at a lot of websites.

Keith.

Thank you everybody. That’s all very positive and I am inclined to go for the new Moho.

So far my wife has only seen pics but we are hoping to go up in 10 days to do a deal provided they give meet the amount I have budgeted to make a change. I will keep you posted.

Regards

Peter

I guess it is ok if you do not like your food much and are just not bothered. Any range of decent ,meals needs at least two hobs, an oven and grill. We eat out a fair bit but when at the van still like a decent meal even for just one course, We do like our food though and experimenting with new stuff, I know to some it is just fuel, pretty sad, but true. One problem with continental built vans was for years the lack of cooking facilities but they are catching up at last. So I guess the answer is, if you like food buy a differant van, if you are not really bothered why worry.

We have a four burner hob , oven , grill and microwave also a portable electric oven ( I use it to cook smokey meat joints outside ) and an external gas two burner hob ( used for cooking steaks and fish ) , I love cooking and to do my passion justice I need the proper / right kit . I tried a Ramoska but was really disappointed with it and the results it produced , there are no shortcuts to excellent food .

Saying that I do appreciate there is no right way , just different ways !

rupert123 - 2018-04-27 8:27 PM

I guess it is ok if you do not like your food much and are just not bothered. Any range of decent ,meals needs at least two hobs, an oven and grill. We eat out a fair bit but when at the van still like a decent meal even for just one course, We do like our food though and experimenting with new stuff, I know to some it is just fuel, pretty sad, but true. One problem with continental built vans was for years the lack of cooking facilities but they are catching up at last. So I guess the answer is, if you like food buy a differant van, if you are not really bothered why worry.

There is no universal rule that good food can only be cooked with the aid of two burners, an oven and a grill. It may be that the only food you consider good requires all these means of cooking, but the only way that become a universal truth is if we all like the same food, cooked in the same way! Fortunately, we don't.

Are you really seriously that all those continental caravanners and motorhomers with no oven or grill can't/don't cook good food? I'm sorry, but with the greatest of respect, Rupert, your statement is complete rubbish, and misleadingly unhelpful in the extreme to the OP.

I would agree Brian.

The best meals we have ever eaten were cooked by our guide over open fires in Southern Africa when we were camping. He also cooked a fantastic birthday cake on the fire overnight.

We don’t eat out much, too much hassle trying to find a restaurant with a menu we fancy, and we like to keep things quick and simple. But we do use our oven/grill for meat and part baked bread and toast. Hence a little concern about losing the oven/grill.

We haven’t a remoska ourselves but having eaten meals and cakes prepared by friends in their Moho, we are converted and will buy one shortly whether we change Moho or not

The other ideas poste on here have put our mind at rest and have no qualms about going down to two burners.

Thank you

Peter

Guest pelmetman
peterjl - 2018-04-27 6:37 PM

Hi

We are looking at changing our motorhome and the one that ticks all our boxes, except the cooking arrangements, has only two hob burners integrated with the sink. No oven and fitting an oven might work but far from ideal.

"No oven and fitting an oven might work but far from ideal."...........

Strange question In coming ;-) ..........

Is there anything wrong with your current van? :-S .........

We use a double skillet (google thedoubleskilletpan). You can cook anything from a roast dinner to cake on one ring and quicker than using an oven (and using less gas!). A steamer will also cook more than one item at a time. We use a camping toaster. It has a wire grid that heats up over a gas ring and although you can only toast one slice at a time, you can do several in the time it takes for a grill to heat up.

We have an oven and a grill - the grill has never been used and the oven only for pizzas occasionally.

Guest pelmetman
pottypam - 2018-04-28 5:35 PM

We use a double skillet (google thedoubleskilletpan). You can cook anything from a roast dinner to cake on one ring and quicker than using an oven (and using less gas!). A steamer will also cook more than one item at a time. We use a camping toaster. It has a wire grid that heats up over a gas ring and although you can only toast one slice at a time, you can do several in the time it takes for a grill to heat up.

We have an oven and a grill - the grill has never been used and the oven only for pizzas occasionally.

Yeah but they cant do proper roast potatoes or a Yorkshire pud ;-) .........

Hi.

As we get older our needs change. Yes we would be happy to continue with our current Moho but....

After just coming back from 3 months away including significant periods off the grid we would like

1) a better shower for when not on campsite for days at a time

2) a better bed

I intend to go back to the Canary Islands in about two years and my wife says that to do this we need a better shower as campsites with showers are few and far between on the islands.

Also, as we get older, and the joints get more cranky, a larger bed would help.

So, we don’t NEED to change but there are advantages. Our current van is great and we hve had the same layout, which we love, for 6 years ( 2 vans with same layout) but the time is coming when we will need to change so I am thinking about doing it now.

Peter

pottypam - 2018-04-28 5:35 PM

Hi. Thank you for the info and giving us the correct name. We have been using one of these for 10 years and it’s brilliant but wearing out. I tried to find one on line but was using the wrong description. We will get another.

Many thanks Peter

Guest pelmetman
peterjl - 2018-04-28 7:21 PM

Hi.

As we get older our needs change. Yes we would be happy to continue with our current Moho but....

After just coming back from 3 months away including significant periods off the grid we would like

1) a better shower for when not on campsite for days at a time

2) a better bed

I intend to go back to the Canary Islands in about two years and my wife says that to do this we need a better shower as campsites with showers are few and far between on the islands.

Also, as we get older, and the joints get more cranky, a larger bed would help.

So, we don’t NEED to change but there are advantages. Our current van is great and we hve had the same layout, which we love, for 6 years ( 2 vans with same layout) but the time is coming when we will need to change so I am thinking about doing it now.

Peter

Call me stupid ;-) ........But given my experience of long term camping in Spain :D ..........and knowing folk who have reached a certain age, are now considering apartments :-S ..........

We've done the sums and we'd save money 8-) .......but hey I like spending money on my harem of old banger cars, caravans & campers :D .........

So who am I to criticise (lol) ..........

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-28 1:39 PM

There is no universal rule that good food can only be cooked with the aid of two burners, an oven and a grill. It may be that the only food you consider good requires all these means of cooking, but the only way that become a universal truth is if we all like the same food, cooked in the same way! Fortunately, we don't.

Are you really seriously that all those continental caravanners and motorhomers with no oven or grill can't/don't cook good food? I'm sorry, but with the greatest of respect, Rupert, your statement is complete rubbish, and misleadingly unhelpful in the extreme to the OP.

Brian, you must surely have realised that Rupert is hardwired to be dogmatic, even when (especially when??) he’s wrong :-D

Guest pelmetman
Solwaybuggier - 2018-04-28 7:53 PM

Brian, you must surely have realised that Rupert is hardwired to be dogmatic, even when (especially when??) he’s wrong :-D

He's wrong? :-S .......Then pray explain why folk who have spent 60, 70, 90, 100k+ on camper vans need to cook in a tent outside? :D .........

Just askin? (lol) .......

Seeing as I can cook a full roast dinner with proper Yorkshire pudding in our 1990 camper >:-) .......

Progress eh? (lol) (lol) (lol) ......

I never said there was Brian, just that you need all three to get a good variety. Look in any half decent commercial kitchen you will find all three. You cannot possible cook a decent variety of food without, You obviously do not cook much as your ignorance in the matter seems almost total. You can use the horror called a barbecue, I watch blokes burning sausages and beefburgers all the time, never seen a competent one yet. The only bloke I know who cooks a decent meal on one lives in Provence, is married to my niece and works in an Michelin starred kitchen. I do not see this as worth the argument, it is pretty obvious, as I said most do not seem to care much, the same with wine, as long as it is cheap.

Solwaybuggier - 2018-04-28 7:53 PM

Really explain why I am wrong please, perhaps a few menu tips on how to burn salad.

I'm a great fan of the pressure cooker.

Just chuck your meat (or fish) and veg in there with a bit of water, cook about 7 minutes, use the water for gravy, and you've got a full dinner in 10 minutes.

Not a pretty sight on the plate but nutritionally better than conventional cooking because all the vitamins that would normally be boiled out of the veg are retained in the gravy.

And no worries about food poisoning from undercooked barbecue burgers etc

I do breakfast in pressure cooker too.

Tin of tomatoes, few rashers of lean bacon. egg. potato if you want, just bring up to pressure and its done.

Only one pan to clean and it sterilises itself every time you use it.

Guest pelmetman
Marcol - 2018-04-28 11:02 PM

That sounds really appetising. Mmmmmmmmm

Remind me never, repeat never to get a pressure cooker. ????

Don't ask him about his campervan toilet arrangements 8-) .......

rupert123 - 2018-04-28 9:30 PM

Really explain why I am wrong please, perhaps a few menu tips on how to burn salad.

I notice you don’t even bother to deny the dogmatic comment! After your arrogant comments to Brian Kirby I don’t see how you could.

In my opinion (notice what I did there?) you are wrong because there are a wide range of cooking techniques available with a hob, and with a remoska, and with a barbecue (whether proper one or Cadac.) Of course there are limitations - but are we to take it your van is equipped with a wood-fired pizza oven, sous-vide cooker, etc etc?

We’re each entitled to our opinions - it’s just a few of us think only theirs are valid.

Archived