Diesel?

Pete-B

Casually talking to a AA guy this morning he said never fill up with diesel at supermarkets because they don't put the additives in their fuel which helps to protect your engine , don't know how true this is? He said it pays to go to a Shell/BP etc, you pay a bit more but the fuel has all the additives and detergents in.

It got me thinking because I remember ages ago I was talking to a diesel engine technician and he said every third time you fill up you should use Premium fuel.

I've only ever used bog standard and nearly always fill up at supermarkets, should I change???

I run ford Custom 8 seaters, Renault master 16 seaters and ford Transit 16 seaters.

The old Renault master had 680,000 kms on the original engine.

All the transits will do 350.000 at least before being changed

My personal 8 seater has now covered 145,000 miles.

It looks and sounds like new.

ALL ON TESCOS FUEL.

My wife likes the points and I prefer to pay less.

I was told to try a more expensive fuel and I would do more MPG and more power.

Utter nonsense. It made no difference.

I regularly check the mpg on the trip computer and with using the incoming bills along with logged mileage.

Den.

We mostly use supermarket fuel in our van and it's now 7 years old, we did have a problem once after one fuel fill, and that was from a BP service station.

BUT Tesco's have got it spectacularly wrong in the past, it resulted in them having to pay out £8,000,000 in compensation.

Back in the late 70's I spent several tours of duty in the control room at Buncefield Oil terminal, which was a main distribution and storage site for the south east. The fuel all came into the site via the same pipeline, and was diverted to different holding tanks operated by various distributers such as BP and Shell as required. I was told that the inbound fuel was the same no matter the company it was destined for, but that each company then added their own additives to their storage tanks before distribution.

I suspect it is still the same, as there are only a few main delivery pipes crossing the country.

I once put the special diesel in at a BP garage extra 4.5 p a litre,talking to the cashier about it and he said all their high mileage customers used it and got more mpg.My Terrano went from 32mpg to 34,7mpg.I never used supermarket diesel in my motorhome.and I don't now that I am a tugger.(Forgive Me) :$

Never used premium fuel. Oh I put some in the scooter by mistake once in Spain, made no difference.

Even if the addatives make a slight difference it's not worth the money, over a vehicles lifespan it must add up to a lot of money.

Mind you, if it makes YOU feel better... Priceless :D

Around here, if everyone who used a Supermarket filling station(in our case an Asda, a Sainsbury's and a Tesco Extra), switched to one of the two in the area that aren't, the queues would be horrendous... 8-)

..and any slight(if any) improvement that non-supermarket fuel may gain in MPG, whilst it may add up to the number crunchers in business, with a fleet doing many 100s of 1000s of miles a year, for your average MHer/caravanner trundling about, I would've thought that it would probably be so slight as to be immaterial..?

(and if/what gain there was, could probably be achieved by just slightly steadier driving anyway..) :-S

As a chauffeur I used to cover about 60,000 miles per year and as far as was possible I always went for the cheapest fuel source. I never had any fuel related problems, and most of my cars were diesel

Renualt Savanah 140,000 miles ( French car )

Ford Galaxy 240,000 miles

Ford Galaxy !80,000 miles ( sold early because I needed a classier car )

Jaguar XJ8 4.2 232,000 miles ( petrol )

Jaguar XJ8 4.2 264,000 miles (petrol )

Audi A6 236,000 miles

Audi A6 204,000 miles (retired)

Skoda Fabia 86,000 miles and still going well on cheapest French diesel

As a response to high pressure advertising I did a sort of controlled exercise and tried using posh diesel in one of the Audis. and I can't say that I noticed any significant improvement in actual performance. (When a car has plenty of power for the task in hand it would be difficult to really know whether there was more power without using a dynometer.) I was able to confirm that I did get an extra 3-4% improvement in fuel consumption, but that was offset by the 3-4% increase in costs, so I went back to using cheapest.

AGD

Diesel oil and other chemicals fall under the COSHH regs (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations) and so the suppliers must keep material safety data sheets (MSDS) that gives information about there safe use and any other harmful chemicals they may contain.

From a quick search, Esso diesel can contain up to 0.5% performance additives and / or dyes.If you are really keen, you could always ask Tesco, Sainsburys etc. for their MSDS and compare them!!

The performance additives will also include some anti gelling agent to prevent solidifaction below about 10 deg C.

I have seen a small improvement in mpg with certain fuels but not enough to make it worthwhile. I just fill up at the local supermarket.

To expand on Denab's post & with 25 years experience in the industry

Buncefield terminal was supplied via pipelines from the refineries' except for aftee the terrible explosion when it was out of action.

All fuels (diesel, petrol, avtur, etc..) all comply to the basic BS/EN standards.

Lubricity, detergent, etc., Additives are injected at the Tanker loading points allocated to the individual Fuel companies using their own specific formulations.Supermarket & small independent distributors have common Tanker loading points with older generation additives.

The individual Fuel companies spend large R&D budgets formulating improvements to the various additives. Latest generation additives would not normally be available to the Supermarkets or independent distributors who will have the earlier generation additives. Hence the difference between Fuel companies & Supermarket pricing.

Supermarket fuel additives may not be the most up to date technology, but if your vehicles is more than a couple of years old it would have started life using additives that are currently in Supermarket fuel (& even better for older vehicles - i.e.an Euro 4 or earlier engined motorhome would be designed on possibly 5 generations old additives)

Motorhomes are based on commercial vehicles which are also intended for markets, some of which have much less requirements that BS/EN specifications.

Unless you have a brand new high performance vehicle WHY pay a premium for a fuel specification in excess of that required by your vehicle, remembering that engine design/ manufacture is based on fuel specification/additive technology at the time of their inception.

My 53 plate RAV4 didn't like supermarket stuff, the egr valve would need cleaning every six months and the engine light would come on every so often. I took advice from the RAV4 owners site and used shell only and the problems disappeared, plus I got about 2.5 more miles per gallon so it paid for itself.

The sprinter based motorhome will take anything with no obvious difference in performance.

Deneb - 2018-04-30 9:06 AM

Back in the late 70's I spent several tours of duty in the control room at Buncefield Oil terminal, which was a main distribution and storage site for the south east. The fuel all came into the site via the same pipeline, and was diverted to different holding tanks operated by various distributers such as BP and Shell as required. I was told that the inbound fuel was the same no matter the company it was destined for, but that each company then added their own additives to their storage tanks before distribution.

I suspect it is still the same, as there are only a few main delivery pipes crossing the country.

I also worked at Buncefield in the 70's ! I worked for Charringtons. I guess they no longer exist these days!

We did the domestic deliveries . i think (memory not what is was) part of the Mobil compound, Was in the area on the weekend of the explosion , as well . Lived 5 minutes away in those days.

PJay

PJay - 2018-05-01 1:22 PM

I also worked at Buncefield in the 70's ! I worked for Charringtons. I guess they no longer exist these days!

We did the domestic deliveries . i think (memory not what is was) part of the Mobil compound, Was in the area on the weekend of the explosion , as well . Lived 5 minutes away in those days.

PJay

I didn't work there as such. I was a local bobby and one of a team stationed there for several months as far as I recall, when it was deemed that the terminal was a priority target for the IRA. It was never really explained to us what a handful of unarmed young men and women were supposed to do in the event they might turn up though!

Deneb - 2018-05-01 7:18 PM

PJay - 2018-05-01 1:22 PM

PJay

I didn't work there as such. I was a local bobby and one of a team stationed there for several months as far as I recall, when it was deemed that the terminal was a priority target for the IRA. It was never really explained to us what a handful of unarmed young men and women were supposed to do in the event they might turn up though!

Small world ha? i remember it. My son was in navy and when on leave could not go into a certain pub in the old high street !! The idea was that YOU where meant to stop the IRA trying to blow the place up.

In the end some-one else managed too!

PJay

I have used Diesel Rhino in the MH for 4 years. It definitely runs smoother but cannot vouch for the fuel consumption as I haven't run without an additive since we first got it. A friend uses the following and swears by it, claiming a definitely worthwhile fuel consumption reduction of 3 to 4 mpg both in his M/H and his vintage Land Rover. This is the same stuff as Diesel Rhino, but considerably cheaper, and certainly worth a try. I think it is the same stuff that goes into expensive diesel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-EHN-Highest-quality-99-pure-2-Ethyl-Hexyl-Nitrate-Cetane-Booster-5-Litres/201887064633?epid=550049690&hash=item2f01682239:g:P9QAAOSwZuRZxNcl

Archived