Rudd.......GONE

Bulletguy

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-30 7:03 PM

I think it worth remembering what a mish-mash the Home Office, even after the formation of the DoJ, is.

It has responsibility for:

Border Force

HM Passport Office

Immigration Enforcement

UK Visas and Immigration

Police Services (England and Wales)

Fire and Rescue Services (England)

Office for Security and Counter-Terrorism

Some of these will be fairly straightforward, but others are definitely not, involving layer upon layer of technical and political complexity.

It is, IMO, ridiculous to expect any individual whose starting point is that their initial qualification for the job is to have been elected an MP, to be able to master the full brief in all those areas.

Any Home Secretary is therefore bound to rely upon their Ministers (of whom there are currently 5) to have command of the detail in their individual sectors.

I am clear that Rudd had, in the end, to go, but she is, IMO, more victim than perpetrator. She was perhaps too loyal to her friend, possibly too hesitant in seizing control and stamping her own agenda of the department - which I suspect is in part why she got the job.

Personally, I think the HO requires further pruning to make its spread of activities more focused and manageable, and to allow Home Secretaries some chance of maintaining an effective overview of what is going on.

There have now been 28 Home Secretaries since 1945, giving an average tenure of only 2.5 years. Hardly likely to be sufficient for a new appointee to work themselves in, find their feet, master their brief, and become properly effective. Most have been replaced as a result of happenstance, or a failure to have the right command of the detail when "events" intervened. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the current formation of a department with such important functions. In short, it's a mess!

Been 20 Governments since 1945 ... 23 Chancellors ... A lot more than 28 Secretary of State of educations in its various forms since 1945 ... So on and so on ... Its not a biggie

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-30 7:03 PM

There have now been 28 Home Secretaries since 1945, giving an average tenure of only 2.5 years. Hardly likely to be sufficient for a new appointee to work themselves in, find their feet, master their brief, and become properly effective. Most have been replaced as a result of happenstance, or a failure to have the right command of the detail when "events" intervened. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the current formation of a department with such important functions. In short, it's a mess!

May had 6 years and 2 months at it.....the longest in 126 years yet look at the chaos and damage she managed to cause!

Unsurprisingly her scalp is now in the crosshairs and for good reason too.

Guest pelmetman

Looks like Javid has helped put the boot in to the Remoaners Partnership plans B-) .........

I guess that's comes under the heading .....Law of unintended consequences :D .......

Well done Labour (lol) ........

Archived