nasty surprise

jjsbc

I recently discovered water ingress into a storage area in my swift,on further investigation I found that the seal on the lower skirts had failed and allowed the rain water to run down the outside walls onto the ply on the underfloor, I have a 2007 Swift Kontiki 245 is this a regular problem and has it been seen before ?

It is a function of bad design can't always rely on sealants and it should have had a more positive means of sealing.

All with similar vehicles would pay to check before the rot sets in.

Had same problem as you but didn't find it till end of last year, so it was a quick slap it on sealant job. Was looking underneath my facelift 2002 Kontiki maxi when I noticed the underfloor was wet. Checked around the top of the skirts where walls go down the back and found they all had cracked sealant and fine gapes. To do the job properly, like I have still to do, you have to scrap and cut out the old sealant then clean joint before resealing. No matter what age your Motorhome is this sealant around the bodywork has to be almost perfect. Afterwards paint over sealant to stop it ageing so quickly. Your not alone on this issue, its just that others have still to notice they have a problem...Shhhhh on that one..

Hi sorry its a 645 kontiki always just think of it as the motor home .

My fix will be to cut out the effected ply replace PROPERLY and fit a flashing under the exterior skin and along the exterior ply under the motorhome (L shaped),sealant between the ply and steel (stainless) screw it to ply,rivet to the skin and you have a mechanical solution fix the skirt with plenty of sealant around the screw holes,I will use larger screws which will also go through the ss steel.

Getting the flashing under the out riggers will be a bit of a job but I have tried one and it's do'able in two halves.

I am off to the UK for five weeks so will prevent any further ingress by providing an extension to the wall so that any water falls directly onto the ground (thank the lord for duct tape) and by the time I get home the floor should be dry and I won't trap any moisture in the final fix.

jjsbc - 2018-05-02 11:13 PM

Hi sorry its a 645 kontiki always just think of it as the motor home .

My fix will be to cut out the effected ply replace PROPERLY and fit a flashing under the exterior skin and along the exterior ply under the motorhome (L shaped),sealant between the ply and steel (stainless) screw it to ply,rivet to the skin and you have a mechanical solution fix the skirt with plenty of sealant around the screw holes,I will use larger screws which will also go through the ss steel.

Getting the flashing under the out riggers will be a bit of a job but I have tried one and it's do'able in two halves.

I am off to the UK for five weeks so will prevent any further ingress by providing an extension to the wall so that any water falls directly onto the ground (thank the lord for duct tape) and by the time I get home the floor should be dry and I won't trap any moisture in the final fix.

On ours, it was the FLOOR, that was at fault, apparently they had had a bad batch. We first noticed it when the one of the back floor stays broke away. Or you sure it is not the whole floor? We had a damp check done , which proved it. Swift replaced the whole floor, taking out the furniture etc. we where lucky they fixed it for free, just had to get the van up to Hull, and collect it later, so cost us a hire car (one way twice) and an overnight stay in a travel lodge. You say "off to the UK for five weeks? I guess you live abroad?

PJay

Archived