Calor lite bottles

PJay

I believe I read on here, that these bottles are no longer available? As we need to refill 1 of ours, (The other is full) as we don't use a great deal of gas. Is there a replacement bottle that is as light? We buy a bottle maybe every couple of years, BUt still like to keep 2 on board, just in case!

We thought that going to the CALOR depot, locally maybe the best place to go. Our gas compartment will not take the continental bottles

Any advice /

PJay

They "are not making new ones" because apparently they weren't as robust, and quote - "..were failing routine inspections more often that they felt acceptable" .

from here: https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/caravans/news/calor-promises-free-6kg-lite-cylinder-replacement-when-available

(That's from last August though)

If this was just about making more money "out of us" ,then they could've just stuck an extra quid or two onto the same old spruced up battered steel ones, and not bothered with the 'lites in the first place?

(and there would've probably been better 'lite availability if people didn't keep their surplus ones, stockpiled behind their sheds *-) )

Either way, it's not compulsory to use Calor, if someone feels they are being charged too much they could always look at other suppliers/options.

pepe63 - 2018-05-03 8:32 AM

(and there would've probably been better 'lite availability if people didn't keep their surplus ones, stockpiled behind their sheds *-) )

As soon as Calor decide to make it financially worth my while rest assured that I will return the 6 or 7 behind my shed :-)

We went to the main Calor Depot in Portsmouth , sadly they had no lites. Apparently when they refurbished some of them , they have exploded!. So they are not making any more. They will still refill the ones that make it, and will still sell them, when they have some in stock.

So finished up with the heavier bottle!

PJay

Steve928 - 2018-05-03 10:08 AM

pepe63 - 2018-05-03 8:32 AM

As soon as Calor decide to make it financially worth my while rest assured that I will return the 6 or 7 behind my shed :-)

At present one can get at least £7.50 per unwanted Calor bottle - though the bottle(s) do need to be returned to a Calor Centre

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/gas-bottle-return

Derek Uzzell - 2018-05-04 10:29 AM

At present one can get at least £7.50 per unwanted Calor bottle - though the bottle(s) do need to be returned to a Calor Centre

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/gas-bottle-return

Indeed, but for me that would entail a 3-4 hour 170 mile round trip made as a special journey.

If they were to extend this to include return to any Calor stockist then I'd expect that a far greater number of bottles would be returned into their system, 'mine' included.

Archived