Insurance problems

Troubadour

I'm from the UK and my girlfriend is German, I can't go on a german policy, and she can't go on a UK policy, but we're going traveling together and wan't to share the driving. seems like a simple problem, but it's not, no insurer will touch it, I rang round this morning. What are the options

Google a firm called Lime Street Brokers, and speak to them. You might otherwise be able to take out cover on an "any driver" basis, and if that is accepted it should be the case that any EU national with a valid driving licence is eligible to drive the vehicle and, since the cover will extend to the whole of the EU (plus a few extras!), by implication drive it anywhere within the "scheduled area".

The cheapest solution might for one of you to get a driving licence in the country of your joint residence. That way you will  be able to apply for insurance without one of you being a "foreign" driver.  With DVLA I understand  it'ssimply a paper exercise to swap a German (or any EU) licence for a British one.

Archived