Microfibre towels

Roy

It depends entirely on their construction. I bought one from a camping shop to save weight when I walked the Camino, and despite being smaller than most hand towels, it dried me completely - top to toe - after a shower. But I saw others in use that failed to do so.

And yes, before someone posts the obvious question, the showers were mostly shared and fairly open, so one could ask such questions. Some were even unisex!

My wife and I use "Eyeline Sports Body Towels" exclusively when touring on the continent, especially in winter when you can't get big cotton towels dry.  These body towels are used by cyclists and gymnasts.

We bought them in the internet from a sports store... can't find the site now, but they are very similar to this....

http://shop.swimmingwithoutstress.co.uk/sws/swimming-goggles/aqua-dry-towel.shtml

Just on the soggie doggies, the only problem I have with the chamois - style ones is that the can pull at your hair when drying - you need to be gentle and dab more than rub.  But it all works fine in the end.

Michelle... did your daughter actually buy it at Millets?  If so, there are plenty of these stores around.

Mom,

Yes staff discount obviously Friends have them as well . No problems she say's it was fantastic when she went camping with the outdoor pursuits centre . Dry in a minute .... I think I will get some also. i don't like big cumbersome towels and why oh why we only seem to have big bath towels . Must get some medium ones soon .

Good luck I,m sure you wont be sorry if you don't like you can use as a rag foe the windscreen.

Guest starspirit

My experience with microfibre cloths on windows is that whilst the bulk of the water is shifted a smeary film of small droplets usually remain and these need to be cleared with a chamois.

So if I have to use the chamois anyway I found little point in using two serarate items.

Many microfibre cloths also need to be wetted first to have the best absorption power which is also a bit of a pain in a van.

Perhaps I got the wrong cloths but it has kinda put me off microfibre as maybe just another triumph of form over function which our modern world's marketing brigade seem to excel in?

starspirit - 2007-01-21 12:10 PM

My experience with microfibre cloths on windows is that whilst the bulk of the water is shifted a smeary film of small droplets usually remain and these need to be cleared with a chamois.

So if I have to use the chamois anyway I found little point in using two serarate items.

Many microfibre cloths also need to be wetted first to have the best absorption power which is also a bit of a pain in a van.

Perhaps I got the wrong cloths but it has kinda put me off microfibre as maybe just another triumph of form over function which our modern world's marketing brigade seem to excel in?

Starspirit, you're thinking of the mock chamois stuff you use to mop down worktops, windows etc, NOT bodies! Two different entities. We use the mock chamois (they are usually sold at shows) and they are very good, they do have to be dampened before use but they are absolutely fantastic for drying down worktops, windows etc and as for getting spills off the floor and carpets, they really do soak it up no problem (useful for the odd doggy accident ... with knocking over the water bowl!).

As for drying bodies, we have a couple of 'glove puppet' mitten things which we bought in Germany a couple of years ago, he's got a dolphin and I've got a dog, you just wear them like a mitten and wipe your body with them, they really do work and aren't difficult to hold like some of the micro-fibre coths which curl up when you try to dry yourself with them. We then have a small towel (hand type) which we use just to 'buff' off any remaining moisture, which is usually very little and this can then be used to dry your hair although I do have one of the towelling 'turban' things that you can pick up at pound shops and it is excellent and helps get the majority of the moisture out of my hair by just wearing it for a few minutes.

We're converts to Lifeventure Trek Towels. Not cheap, but effective both in terms of drying bodies (and dogs) and of themseves drying out after use. Clearly as with most things Micrifibre towels, so described, come in different qualities some better then others - in fact some useless !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest starspirit

We bought a £19.99 Lifeventure Trek Towel from Milletts a couple of weeks ago and following some non scientific experiments have reached the following conclusions.

It does not seem any better at drying a wet freshly showered body than a normal towel and neither does it dry hair any better from very wet.

However what it does do well is dry your hair and/or body even better when used after a conventional towel, as it does seem to absorb extra water that ordinary towels just can't absorb.

It's not a problem for short haired folk like wot I am, but for the longer haired and ladies reduced, or perhaps even no need, for hair drier could be an advantage that might well justify the cost?

Guest starspirit
I think I'll get some cheapos too for drying the dog because if nothing else they are a tad more compact than a bath towel.

Slightly off topic but got the wifes sewing machine out and using the two old bath towels we used to carry for the dogs, I made a towling bag with a drawstring opening that I can now drop the Cocker Spaniel into and draw the cord around his neck, similar to the £30 ones you can buy in pet shops, works well. The Staffy only needs a quick rub down with a Microfibre one and she is dryish...

Archived