pvc tyres

rooster63

Had a conversation with the owner of a workshop belonging to the Approved Workshop for motorhomes scheme about tyres for pvc. He reckoned for a pvc you don't need motorhome specific tyres as any tyre suitable for a van with the right load rating would be perfectly acceptable. He thinks tyre companies use it as an excuse to add a premium just because the word motorhome or camper is on the tyre.

Had a puncture yesterday and had to call out the breakdown guys who were able to repair the tyre. I asked him whether he thought I should have mh tyres and he said he thought van tyres were better as they lasted longer. I have Avon Cooper tyres with a load rating of 1120kg, co-incidently he had the same tyres on his van.

Whilst waiting for recovery I did ring a couple of tyre retailers as thought I might have to be taken to one of them to have a new tyre and they both had the van tyres I needed, but not camper tyres, luckily for the budget I only had to pay for a repair, not a new tyre.

Don't have a spare and it did bother me slightly that if I did have a puncture I might be stranded until a tyre could be sourced but if van tyres are acceptable that problem diminishes somewhat.

Is the advice given about tyres good or is it just a matter of opinion and some might dis-agree?

The problem is that Motorhomes are running on the max gross weight or near enough most of the time whereas van's and pickups are more often unloaded. So we need the max number of ply's in the built of the tyre, that's where Michelin Camping comes in...

gordonaldson - 2018-05-09 8:36 PM

The problem is that Motorhomes are running on the max gross weight or near enough most of the time whereas van's and pickups are more often unloaded. So we need the max number of ply's in the built of the tyre, that's where Michelin Camping comes in...

I'm afraid this is not correct, tyres with some of the highest load ratings are not always labelled as 'CP', take my van it's gross weight is 3.5tonne, the tyres on it are plain 'C' and rated up to 5tonne.

I’m not aware of any credible proof that a “CP”-marked tyre will be ‘safer’ than a same-size ”C”-marked tyre having the same load index, provided that the motorhome is being operated within its weight-related maxima.

And, where on-road performance is concerned, Promobil magazine’s test comparing six 215/70 R15 tyres (two CP-marked and four C-marked) rated three of the C-marked tyres higher than both of the CP-marked tyres.

Whether CP-marked tyres can tolerate abuse better (eg. when a moorhome is overloaded) or cope better when a motohome is static for long periods is anybody’s guess. Continental and Michelin advertise those capabilities for their CP-marked tyres, but I’ve never seen any independent tests confirming this.

Archived