Filling the water tank

Newby

Hi, we are completely new to Motorhoming and want to know if you have to use a special hose to fill up the water tank? If so what makes are recommended - we have a Chausson Welcome Thanks ever so for any help

We use an ordinary new garden hose. Have done for 12 years no problems. We have a long hose and a short (2 mtrs) to cover near tap or some distance away. Hope that helps.

You can can get blue hose, which some use.(which I believe is for drinking) BUtT We never drink the water, except for boiling for tea/coffee etc

We buy bottled water for drinking.

Welcome to the forum and to motorhoming. Ask any questions you may have, as we have all been in the "NEW" situation, and there are some very helpful , technical members on here. Some not so. You soon learn who's good or bad

PJay

We have been motor caravaning since 1991, but only in UK. At home we use a garden hose to fill the tank, BUT we do purge it by several times its volume before filling the tank. On site we generally use a dedicated 10 litre container poured into the filler via a special extended pourer outlet. We generally top up on daily basis.

More recently we purchased a length of food grade (blue) hose for filling on site but this has to be drained before stowing away. Nearly a two person job. Other owners use food grade cassette hoses, but these have to be fully extended before use, and then require rewinding.

In earlier days we used a larger water container and submersible pump, but this used a dedicated external 12V socket. However I understand that some modern motorhomes have the facility for a similar system.

We never (in our opinion) waste money on bottled water, and are not aware of having suffered as a result.

Alan

Welcome to the forum and to motor homing in general. I fill my tank using two ten litre bottles and find it's no problem at all, I can occasionally sterilize them when I do the main tank. Don't forget, even if you boil the water for drinks etc, if you clean your teeth using the tap the water needs to be clean.

But to answer your question, you need to get the blue water hose if you do use this method.

It's just been said and I repeat, don't be afraid to seek help and advice, we've all been there.

You should search the forum as I am sure this exact question has been posed before. I use a garden hose at home and only recently have I tried to remember to flush the hose through before filling the tank after this was mentioned on this forum. I do sterilise the system at the beginning of the year. We do not drink the water from the tank but do use it for teeeth cleaning. No problems after 4 years.

We bought a Hozelock garden hose kit just for the motorhome, never use it for anything else. It came with varying connectors which you need at all the different sites.

We never drink out of the taps, we carry bottled that we refill with drinking water for drinking and cooking, the water tank water is for washing and cleaning only.

We use a blue food grade hose with an inline 1 micron filter to fill the tank before leaving home. We use the same hose system to connect to town water in the caravan parks or to fill our tank. Mains pressure connections on the side of the van are the normal here. We had one fitted to our AT. We always use bottled water for drinking as an extra precaution to avoid any tummy problems.  We use a hose bag to store the hose as it is tidy and fast to use. Cheers,

Newby

First things first - I suggest you invest in John Wickersham’s book “The Motorcaravan Manual” as that will provide invaluable background to the joys ;-) of motorhome ownership.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcaravan-Manual-Choosing-Using-Maintaining/dp/0857331248/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526022373&sr=8-1&keywords=the+motorcaravan+manual

There’s plenty of on-line discussion about filling a motorhome's fresh-water tank. This 2013 forum thread refers

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Water-hosepipe/31629/

and is interesting for the photos showing the ‘stuff’ that people may carry to try to cover all eventualities.

It’s often advised that food-grade hose be used to fill the tank in order to avoid the possibility that harmful chemicals might leach from the plastic material from which ordinary ‘garden’ hoses are made - though it’s not a risk that concerns me personally.

I’ve always refilled at home using an ordinary garden hose (like Alanb, running plenty of water through it beforehand) and I use an elderly 10-metre cassette-hose when touring and that takes up very little storage space. The latter does need to be completely unwound to use, but it is now possible to obtain a food-grade 15-metre cassette-hose that (apparently) can be used partially unwound.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-plumbing/water-hose-and-fittings/brunner-hose-reel-with-new-flat-hose

Any clean hose will do, get some tap fittings though, plastic with a hose tail one end and a screw [Female ]to fit the taps, just like your garden hose fitting, get a couple of different sizes as taps vary, best of all get a plastic 10 litre watering can, saves a lot of faffing about when parked up and don;t want to move the van.

vindiboy - 2018-05-11 11:44 AM

Any clean hose will do, get some tap fittings though, plastic with a hose tail one end and a screw [Female ]to fit the taps, just like your garden hose fitting, get a couple of different sizes as taps vary, best of all get a plastic 10 litre watering can, saves a lot of faffing about when parked up and don;t want to move the van.

If planning to travel outside the UK it's worth also carrying a male to male Hozelock adapter, as I've come across a number of sites in France that use the female fitting for the fresh water supply instead of a conventional tap.

Rather than trot my 3.5ton m/home to a tap or waste point, we carry a water container that we fill (25litres) , bring back on a trolley and use a small submersible pump to fill the tank.

I put my back out lifting heavy water canisters up to the filling point, not going down that route again.

Trolley gets used for moving a black waste water tank, and cassette toilet, gas canisters , awning all sorts of stuff.

Water and waste containers weigh next to nothing but take up space when travelling, otherwise are outside under the M/home when in use.

Rgds

I've used a food grade hose since I started motorhoming in '95 [my sister was a biologist]. I'm on my third one. We've always drunk water from the tank. Most garden hoses are made with plasticisers and other similar materials. I'm told they also contain chemicals such as lead, BPA, and phthalates that will find their way to the water. If you go for a garden hose, you'll save a few quid and I'm unaware of anyone dying because they used a garden hose. We have a food grade 'watering can' to top up the tank when necessary.

Food grade hoses can be bought at accessory shops. I bought my last one from CAK Tanks.

Checking the source of the water you put in the tank is worthwhile.

Our hose is split into one third/two thirds. The short hose is used more frequently. Both hoses can be joined using a Hoselock joiner.

We drop a couple of sterilising tablets in our water tank from time to time during use and have never had any problems in the past 40 years, we sometimes get our water from odd places particularly as we mainly wild camp, French Aires can be dodgy places for water filling as we have often seen folks washing their toilet cassettes at the water point YYYEEEEEEKKK , we do not drink the water from our tanks however , we use 5 litre containers of water bought very cheaply at Supermarkets when Foreign especially LIDL.

Guest pelmetman
Brock - 2018-05-11 6:25 PM

I've used a food grade hose since I started motorhoming in '95 [my sister was a biologist]. I'm on my third one. We've always drunk water from the tank. Most garden hoses are made with plasticisers and other similar materials. I'm told they also contain chemicals such as lead, BPA, and phthalates that will find their way to the water. If you go for a garden hose, you'll save a few quid and I'm unaware of anyone dying because they used a garden hose. We have a food grade 'watering can' to top up the tank when necessary.

Food grade hoses can be bought at accessory shops. I bought my last one from CAK Tanks.

Checking the source of the water you put in the tank is worthwhile.

Our hose is split into one third/two thirds. The short hose is used more frequently. Both hoses can be joined using a Hoselock joiner.

I'm on my second on account of the pin hole leaks in mine, whilst fully extended I managed to soak several Frogs on a French campsite :$ ...........I thought they liked being wet? :D .......

Now chopping up our 25 year old hose to suit pitches for our Carlight caravan, is the black stuff inside anything to be worried about? 8-) .........

:D ........

Archived