Driver Licences

Mel E

The EU has passed a new directive on Driver Licences which is likely to become UK Law from 01.01.2012. I know that's 5 years away, but there are some important changes.

- a new pan EU licence will be progressively introduced (up to 2029!).

- it will be renewable every 10 years (or 15 at a member state's behest)

- a licence containing the additional categories C1, C1+E, D1, D1+E (as well as C and D) will be renewable EVERY 5 YEARS from 19.01.2013.

- it seems as though renewal of the C1 and C1+E - vital to the increasing numbers with motorhomes over 3500 MAM - will also be subject to the same medical as currently applies to LGV drivers and those over 70, though the actual implementation is left to each member state.

New qualifiers will continue to get only a B (or B Auto Licence). HOWEVER, this category has been changed. They will get, as now, the ability to drive

1. A vehicle up to 3500 MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) with up to 8 passenger seats with a trailer up to 750 MAM (max 4250 MAM)

2. Any combination of tow vehicle and trailer with a combined MAM not exceeding 3500 subject to trailer MAM being less than tow vehicle unladen weight.

and in addition:

3. Any combination of tow vehicle and trailer with a combined MAM not exceeding 4250, etc., but will have to undergo additional training or a test (at the member state's option) to qualify for this.

Readers of the thread on CC Does it Again!! will note that this is different in that option 1 is preserved. So no problem for motorhomers after all.

How did I get this so wrong (and the CC agree with me)?

It's simple - I (and they) used the abstracts of the legislation provided to me from a number of different sources, including the EU's own PR web site. It turns out these abstracts were just that - abstracts. I now have a copy of the original legislation which not only makes all clear but defines the training required, and gives full details of the medical tests.

Apologies for the confusion - the full deatils are at:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2006/l_403/l_40320061230en00180060.pdf

Mel E

====

Well done Mel!

I thought others may also wish to be aware of the following provisions for granting driving licenses in respect of mental health and use of alcohol:

Group 1 drivers are those holding the licenses Mel refers to above.

MENTAL DISORDERS

Group 1:

13.1. Driving licences shall not be issued to, or renewed for, applicants or drivers who suffer from:

severe mental disturbance, whether congenital or due to disease, trauma or neurosurgical operations,

— severe mental retardation,

— severe behavioural problems due to ageing; or personality defects leading to seriously impaired judgment, behaviour or adaptability, unless their application is supported by authorised medical opinion and, if necessary, subject to regular medical check-ups.

ALCOHOL

14. Alcohol consumption constitutes a major danger to road safety. In view of the scale of the problem, the medical profession must be very vigilant.

Group 1:

14.1. Driving licences shall not be issued to, or renewed for, applicants or drivers who are dependent on alcohol or unable to refrain from drinking and driving.

After a proven period of abstinence and subject to authorised medical opinion and regular medical check-ups, driving licences may be issued to, or renewed for, applicant or drivers who have in the past been dependent on alcohol.

I can see a few problems there, then!

Brian,

But unlike the current DVLA 4 medical requyired by over 70s to retain anything other thab B and B+E, there is strangely no reference to any form of cancer. Lung disease, for example, is a no-no for the DVLA 4.

As 1 in 3 of us has it or will get it, that's interesting!

Mel E

====

Archived