Delamination repair, how urgent?

michaelmorris

Well it looks as though our beloved motorhome (2003 Autoquest 200) is in self-destructive mode at the moment.

First the electrics go on the blink, now the floor is delaminating.

The spongy area appears to be only about 30cm X 20 cm although I can't be certain until I lift the carpet. It's a bit spongy and makes a squeaking noise like a loose floor board (and my knees). It's a high usage area and not next to any source of water.

I've looked on line and the repair looks relatively easy to DIY. We were planning to replace the fitted carpet with lino in about 3 or 4 months time and this would ideally be the most convenient time do the repair.

Is it okay to leave the repair for several months or should I get fixed immediately?

Thanks

Michael,

If you are worried about the faulty floor not supporting you, why not get a small piece of 8mm plywood say 600 x 600, but cut to fit snuggly between furniture in one direction, and slip under the carpet.. Should be available from your local DIY shop.

Alan

It ought to be possible to decide how high the risk is of major damage resulting from delaying the repair, but as “the spongy area appears to be only about 30cm X 20 cm” and is just "a bit spongy” I’d be tempted to leave the repair task until the lino-fitting exercise planned to be done 3 to 4 months hence.

I agree with Alanb’s advice, though, that if it’s practicable to lift the fited carpet easily, temporarily protecting the area with a piece of thinnish plywood (or a piece of sheet metal) would be a sensible move.

It does need saying that fitted carpet may be stuck/stapled down and/or extend beneath habitation furniture (ie. the motorhome manufacturer carpets the whole floor of the habitation area before fitting the furniture) and this can complicate removal.

I've checked underneath and all seems normal, so I'll probably leave it until we get back from France (5 weeks time) before tackling it. The squeaky area is slap bang in the middle of the van, so lifting the carpet s something I would really rather not attempt just a few days before we take it abroad.

I'm really fed up with everything in my life sending to go pear-shaped at the moment and this and the electrical problems with van really are the last straw.:-(

Archived