Rapido 924F - what's your thoughts guys?

Mel B

Hi

I've been the the GMEX show, okay but we did have to play a game of 'find the motorhomes'! We only spent a couple of hours or so actually in it as that's all it took to look round the motorhomes on show and the few accessory stalls. Disappointing but not unexpected.

Anyway, to the point:

We decided to drop in a dealership on our way back and had a shuftie around and saw a nice clean 'A' class Rapido 924F on the forecourt. It has 29K miles on the clock but in extremely good condition and just coming up to it's 3rd birthday at the beginning of March. Yes, I know the mileage is high but the engines will take it and from speaking to the sales chap it seems that the couple who owned it used it to tootle out a lot for trips here, there and everywhere virtually every weekend and a lot of time in between as they were both retired, so at least it has had plenty of runs out and hasn't been stood around for months on end, so the mileage doesn't worry us. The price is just under £37,000, so that by trading in our Rapido 709F we'll have to put in just under £13,500. A lot of money but it gets a lot of motorhome as well, yes it's only 10 months younger than our current van but as it's an 'A' class and ours is a low profile there's no way we could afford a new 'A' class. We've always liked the Rapido 'A' classes since we first saw them.

After seeing the 'quality' of some of the new vans out there (you'll probably remember that we were sorely tempted by a Dethleff Fortero but had some reservations about it's quality amongst other things), we can't really afford the cost of replacing our Rapido new with something of the same high quality.

We are VERY seriously considering buying the 924F and will be ringing the sales chap in the morning to let him know one way or another, so has anyone got any comments, views, etc that they would be willing to share with us, good or bad, about this van in particular or what we should consider regarding 'A' classes in general as we've never had one before. Obviously having a Rapido already we know about all the twiddly bits etc that you get (plus a few more on the 'A' class) and the build quality, but would really like some input especially from anyone who actually has one.

Many thanks and I promise to let you know the outcome!!!

*-)

Guest JudgeMental

As a comparison, there are 2 on "mobile.de" at the moment with around 16.000 km. LHD of course, for approx £32k on current exchange rate...

We looked to buy one last year. Loved the van and the layout but as we take bikes we were concerned about that (but I can't remember why?) but we found there was very little storage in the van.

Look on this sight for sales. Must say its a cracking looking van with a really good layout and a good pedigree.

I have owned a Rapido 924F for almost two years. A very good van in my experience. Two small faults which are design faults and have been rectified for me FOC by the supplying dealer, Brownhills of Newark. The Truma 2003 Combi heater is located under the sink and in its standard installation tends to heat the contents of the slide out food store. This is easily out sorted by the installation of an insulation kit which seems to be a Rapido part as it is a perfect fit and perfect panel match. the airflow to the shower room is not good enough when the fan speed slows down when the main salon is up to temperature. This was rectified by the installation of a Truma multi vent fan kit with two speed switch mounted in line with the other Truma controls. It looks like it was always there and completley solves the problem. Can't speak too highly of Brownhills, second vehicle from them; speak as you find? 18,000 miles on and no problems, build quality is good, no rattles or squeeks which after owning British vans is a relief. I had a small crack in the front bumper, it's ABS and Brownhills had someone local try to repair it, it's not the only ABS bumper I've seen cracked and they are difficult to near impossible to repair and this proved no exception. It was replaced under warranty no problem. Brownhills have spares deliveries from Rapido on a weekly basis so spares are no problem, lights etc. are held in stock as I found when I cracked a rear light lens.

The van is rarely used in the U.K. and only about 20% of the time is it on electric HU so I can vouch for the autonomy of the vehicle. the 120 litre fresh and 105 litre waste tanks are a real boon and give two to three days autonomy with ease. My van has the 3850 MAM but it's not really neccessary, I weighed it fully loaded with full tanks and bicycles at 3560kg so there is enough payload in standard trim but leaves little room for a third passenger I have an 80 watt solar panel and an Oyster satellite sytem on the room plus the bike rack so without these items the 3500kg would seem o.k. but as always check for youself when fully loaded. I really like the compact six metre dimensions which make parking and manouvering a doddle yet the interior is very spacious and comforable for such a compact van. Would I buy another? Yes. A double floor would have been nice as on the new 944df I think that's what it is but then it's longer. In summary there's not a lot to complain of and a lot of plusses to the 924F. You'll need some sort of fly screen though if you want to leave the door open when there are midges around but that's easily sorted. Any other queries just ask as I'm stuck in the U. K. waiting for minor surgery on my foot for the next month at least.

Bill Ord

Hi all

Update on the van, we went back this morning for another shuftie and a good scrabble all over it after having made a long list of things to check when we got home yesterday.

We also had another test drive, this time much longer and on different speeds of road to see how it handled especially in 5th gear and up/down hills round bendy roads etc. It drove and handled well but unfortunately we were very disappointed with the ride - admittedly some of the roads left a lot to be desired but there were some good ones as well. We experienced quite lot of 'pattering' vibration coming up through the steering column, seat etc, it also jumped about like a frog hopping around on a BBQ! It was very creaky and rattley and much noisier that our current Rapido 709F which, admittedly, doesn't 'echo' the noise as much being smaller, but even when empty our 709F is a very quiet van to drive. I know that if the 924F had some chattles in it, it would quieten some of the general 'habitation' noise but not the general body and road travel/suspension noise that was coming into it.

All we can assume is that because it's done the mileage it's been bumped all over the place and has just loosened up to such an extent that whoever buys it will need ear plugs. As for the mileage of 29,400 we managed to establish that it actually did 25,000 miles in 22 months - that's some going!!!!! In the remaining 11 months' use by it's original owner it covered just 4,400 miles.

We still like the van's design but didn't feel that this was the right one for us so we'll keep looking but many thanks to everyone who has posted.

;-)

JudgeMental - thanks for the site info, I've had a look out of interest but really want a RHD version.

Navman - no nothing to worry about with the PM, it was just Coling telling me that Bill Ord owned one, hence my appeal to him later on. *-)

Chris - I'm intrigued as to why the bikes were a problem!?!? :-S

Last question at the mo: seeing as this van was so rattly and noisy, are all 'A' classes like this or was it just this particular one we were unlucky with? (?)

Ineresting comment on the rattles and ride/handling Mel. My vehicle is still sound and if anybody can remember to ask in another year when it will have done at least another 10,000 miles I'll give feed back. The ride and handling are generally thought to be superior to the standard Fiat chassis, the Alco chassis on mine gives a supple and very good ride with little roll on cornering. Best thing as you have done is if you're not happy then walk away. At 29,000 miles the van is still an infant in real terms. These are chassis and motors that will easily run 150,000+ without overhaul so there must have been a fault. I am always a little puzzled by reaction to vehicle milage, my own use is obviously not typical but I do use it as intended, last year included trips to Spain,France, Italy and Croatia, I'm retired. A lot of the countries visited are on route to the next place. I'm reminded of a comment I heard recently when someone said that a lot of motorhomes were just expensive garden ornaments? As to your question are all A classes like this, I've no idea but I think you hit on a noisy one.

Bill ord

Hi Bill. I,ve never owned or driven an A class so I will not offer any opinions on noise levels or how they drive, but what does appeal to me is the body styling and the drop down bed normally used in this type of van.

On previous coach built vans i,ve found the overcab beds a little to claustrophobic for my liking, and looking at drop down beds there seems to be no problem in this respect, with this sort of layout offering what seems the ideal solution to those looking for a permanent fixed bed (apart from the simple task of lowering the bed for use) without compromising lounge space, and all in a van often not measuring more than 6m in length.

Seems the ideal setup, but have you or anyone else found any drawbacks with this layout not always obvious to someone like myself who has never put it to the test.

The drop down bed on the Rapido 924F runs the full width of the van. I'm 5 foot 11 inches or 1.8 mtr tall and find it to be o.k in fact no different from any other across the van bed. Short of looking up the spec. that's about as near as I can say but when buying a van I always try the bed, the shower, the toilet in fact everything so I do tend to get the basics right. It's way to expensive to make those kind of mistakes. The bed on this van has more headroom than the Hymer of the same length that I tried and that is quite important to me as I'm the morning coffe maker and I like to come back to bed with my coffee and chat to my wife/route manager as a gentle start to my day. Little thing that are important to YOU make or break the enjoyment and are SO individual.

Bill Ord

Archived