What spares do you carry?

StuartO

Clearly we're all thinking on the same lines, including in my case about the need for a spare bottle of my favourite whisky rather than risk running out.  You  can't always get it cheaper abroad.

I carry things a bit towards extremes (for example I have on board a spare Schaudt EBL 101, among the many items I have never used in over ten years) but if I've bought something, I tend to put the rest of the packet (or the item which turned out not to be needed) in the spares basket.

This came in handy when I needed to replace the microswitch in the Reich kitchen tap last week; when I replaced it last time I managed to repair the original, which needed only a soldered cable joint, so rather than throw it away ......

I have now ordered another one, so I'll still have a spare, because the kitchen tap is a mission-critical item.  Carrying a complete EBL is a bit OTT but having bought a replacement (without needing to exchange the existing one because Brownhills were de-stocking) when I was left with a spare I wasn't going to leave it at home when we tour mostly abroad, was I?

I've just added a crimping tool and some crimping joints to my spares cargo, having needed them to fix the microswitch; no point in carrying a spare microswitch if you can't fit it!

Spare 4 Ton hydraulic jack, extending arm ratchet wheel brace with deep socket, 1 metre welding earth cable with eyes ( to provide proper earthing to chassis if needed). Multimeter, LIDL’s finest glues, resins and tapes. Usual tools.

Archived